Customer reviews

on 7 February 2014
Came across this short book by accident, was intrigued by the title, downloaded it and wasn't sorry I did. Entirely seen through the eyes of a mentally ill patient who tries to cope as best he can with his stay in a psychiatric hospital and the abuse which brought him there, it manages to be highly imaginative, horrific, funny, sad and poetic at the same time. It is also very well written and easy to read.
on 4 February 2014
As a mental health nurse, this book has given me a real life view of mental illness, not just what is taught in a classroom.
As mental illness can affect anyone it really makes you think. Bravo 10/10
on 2 April 2014
Heartfelt, quick paced and full of poetic language, this story is massively imaginative. The tale takes its reader to some incredibly dark and difficult places. There are some intensely violent images and a true understanding of the modern mental health system. These are well judged in detail and length and add tremendously to a gripping, exciting narrative that is never gratuitous but always emotive. Vivid characterisation drives an expertly realised exploration of the human and humane through mind games, mystery and a very real sense of magic. Unforgettable.
on 7 March 2014
I downloaded this as a freebie on a whim and I'm exceptionally glad I did. From the first few lines I was hooked and found myself swept up in the torment and struggled to put it down. For once I found have a story that truly forced me into thinking more about how people might see the world differently and I found myself unusually disappointed that I had reached the last page. I hope Matt Morton has more coming our way.
on 28 March 2014
I read this book in just a few hours. So sad and so funny. I am now looking for more Matt Morton books.
on 27 May 2014
Weird story I read it in one night, the only reason I kept reading on was I thought it would get better. I was sorely disappointed with it. The actual story behind it all could have been good but it was confusing and pretty boring. Worst book I've read in a while.
on 20 February 2014
Tragic, brutal, and horrifying. A well-painted picture of the abject terror, confusion and alienation experienced by people with severe mental health problems. More please.
on 3 April 2014
I liked the writing style. The plot was very linear and didn't offer many surprises. I read it in a few hours, worth reading if you have a free afternoon.
on 21 April 2014
Very well written and the style sounds the subject of the book. Good for a short read. Would be interesting in reading more by the author.
on 25 February 2014
This is the most amazing book I have ever read, heartbreaking but amazing!!
I shall be suggesting it to everyone!!!