Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

I absolutely love this book, it's predecessor's Cinder &Scarlet and the prequel to the series Fairest. They are all a brilliant read and the story-line keeps building with new characters being introduced that fit seamlessly into the plot and it's subsequently a fantastic series. Marissa Meyer is a new addition to my favourite authors list and I have the final book in the series; Winter already on pre-order and I cannot wait to read it later this year. The series has been unputdownable and I have enjoyed every minute reading the books.

Cress follows on from the events of Scarlet which I will mention but will not ruin the plot of Cress and so if you haven't read the first book and don't want anything revealed then I'd advise to stop reading my review now. Cress is a character briefly introduced in the previous book and is a young Lunar girl who has been trapped in a spaceship orbiting the moon since she was a little girl with her only companionship from Mistress Sybil's visits to check on her. Mistress Sybil's visits are hardly pleasant though and Cress is always relieved to see her go. Following the Lunar attacks on Earth and the death count reports, Cress has made the decision to fully help Cinder and her friends and they in turn decide to go and rescue Cress especially with the thought of leaving the one person who can track their ship under Sybils control. Unfortunately the rescue doesn't quite go to plan and the group end up split from each other. So can the group reunite and just what is Cress' mysterious background and who is Winter?.......

A fantastic series with a new fresh take on the Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood and Rapunzel tales and as I mentioned above I have read all four books in the series in fast succession as I loved the series so much and was immediately hooked. If you are a fan of dystopian or YA then I think you will love this book and this series and I can't wait for the next one due to be released in December this year.
on 5 February 2014
Cress is a fantastic read, which doesn’t take long to devour at all. It’s action packed! It’s not often that a series gets better and better with every book, but (so far) I can safely say that this is the case with the Lunar Chronicles.

I thought the introduction of Cress was brilliant. She’s an innocent character, but she’s also quite feisty. She fits in nicely with Cinder and Scarlet despite being quite different to them. Thorne and Wolf are still brilliant characters. I didn’t see nearly enough of Scarlet (who I think is a fabulous character) but I definitely liked Cinder more then I have done in the previous two books. Cinder is determined and strong. A real leader of the rest. I loved Kai as well, he’s developing wonderfully as a character. I can’t wait to see what happens to them all in Winter.

Marissa Meyer is a wonderful writer. I don’t always like a book that tells the story from many different points of view, but Marissa really makes it work. She is so creative. I don’t know how she thinks of such a wonderful, complex story that fits together so seamlessly, but I’m really glad that she has does. This series really is a pleasure to read. I can’t wait to read Winter.
on 19 August 2016
I'm not so sure where to start with this one. I was thrown a lot as many of you might know I'm not up on my fairytales as I missed a lot of Nursery growing up and my dad wasn't the read it to me kind of dad. So anyway here goes.

I thought well this isn't your typical Disney fairytale that is for sure. I loved the whole thing, how well she went into the plot and the small details, making sure that the loose threads from as far back as Cinder were tied up which to me is pretty amazing as some authors tend to forget about those loose threads that aren't major to the plot line from book one by the time they get to book 3. So I'm clapping hard for that.

I stumbled a bit with the POV jumps between chapters. I would have liked to have the chapters marked so it made it easier for me to keep up. Its a minor thing really and didn't cause a star to fall away as I finally got into the swing of things. I wasn't thrown to much out of the book that I didn't enjoy it.

That to me is the main thing.

I will say that the ending was nice and having a cliffhanger ending at book 3 like in the other 2 books just felt really right. I have to say it was well pulled off too. I'm interested in seeing what we have instore for us when it comes to the book Winter.

I was nervous about starting this series way back when I first heard about it, but I'm glad I did in the end. Thanks to Kaytastic and Little Owl for wearing me down on that. Well earned 5 stars and can't wait to enjoy more of this lovely ladies hard work.
on 10 February 2014
Cinder and Thorne are still fugitives from both Luna and Earth forces, and along with Scarlet and Wolf are determined to stop Levana’s wedding to Kai and her plans for Earth. Their best hope is to free Cress, a Luna shell who has been stuck alone in a satellite for 7 years but is an excellent hacker. After Cress’s rescue attempt goes terribly wrong the group are separated, and they have to fight to survive and find each other again to have any hope to overthrow Queen Levana.

Cress is the brilliant third book in the Lunar Chronicles and it is just as good as Cinder and Scarlet, as it was fast paced and never dull. Meyer did a good job with the different POVs as she never focused too much on one character and I never got confused about whose mind we were in. However, while I love this book, it had the feel of a middle book as it was mostly set up for the last book, Winter.

I like how Cinder is surer of herself in this book and is will to risk her life for people she has never met, but she is still trying to deal with the morals of using her powers even for good. I also like how, even though they are miles apart, both Kai and Cinder are struggling with their responsibilities even with fighting again the odds. I really liked Cress as she is a very different person from Cinder or Scarlet as she is very naïve and not confident but gets past this by pretending to be someone else and going into her own imagination.

I did not get on that well with Thorne in Scarlet, however, I really liked him in this book as we get to see how intentionally heroic yet imperfect he is, although he does remind me a lot of Flynn Rider in Tangled. I felt very sorry for Wolf in this book and I missed Scarlet, as even though she is in this book we did not see as much of her as we did in the last book. My favourite character is Iko as she makes me smile and I hope she gets a happy ending.

We get to see a bit of Winter’s character in this book and I cannot wait to see what happens in the next in the last book. I would recommend Cress to people who enjoyed reading the first 2 books.
on 13 January 2016
Do you sometimes get urges to read whole series? Even when there are 6 or 7 books in the series? And some are 800 pages long? But you really must just find out what happens to the characters as the story progresses?
In my view a true reader of sagas always wants to get to the finale... but never the end, and thus we are very lucky when we find out that yes, a new book will be published in...(usually 2 year’s time but heh, who’s counting?)
Well even if you don’t read these series all in one sitting – or over a week or so, I do. And thus began my Xmas reading.
I get these emails from book reviewing websites – I get Buzzfeed and BlogLoving and they lead me to sites where people review books etc and at the end of the year, we seemed to be getting a lot of lists – the best of and so on. And one list I was led to was the best of fantasy books come out last year.
Now I don’t necessarily read the ‘best of books’ as indicated by other reviewers as I don’t often purchase books for myself as a rule as I get the NetGalley feed, and are offered books by authors, and am on several publishers/blog-tour listings (including being in the Brash Priority Circle) and thus get offered more books than I could ever read and review on a regular basis. But at this time of year I was interested to see what other people were reading, and of course, what they thought of the books. And who reviewed the same books as me, and whether or not they agreed.
So I read the list and many didn’t appeal, but one book stood out because it was based on traditional fairy-stories but updated to a fantasy time in the future, where we had a colony, long established on the moon, and had improved our surgery levels to supply people missing limbs etc with artificial limbs that came with batteries and power and pockets for stashing tools and... now this really appealed to me as I have 2 artificial knees and I have always wanted to have batteries/motor power installed in them so that they could carry me along without my effort.wellwrittenbookpileADDICTIVEmust-readoutofthisworld
But this was actually the fourth in the ‘real’ series – there is another which is a side story which also came out last year. So having scouted around the fourth book, I decided I needed to read the first, the second, and the third! And then the fourth properly. So Amazon got my money again (see the reviews to come on the St Mary’s Chronicles – there were yet more these books but they were cheaper per book).
Anyway. Here we have a set of books based on fairytales, reworked as fantasy – science fiction. So what’s not to love?
We have cyborgs, space ships, computers hackers (white and black hat), lunar colonies, mind control, DNA manipulation, wolves, a deadly disease, wars and more fights, miraculous rescues, androids with a sense of humour and sarcasm – have I missed anything? Ah yes, the equivalent of a Wicked Witch. Possibly more, but it’s all there in these books. Richly imagined in a new world that makes sense and is consistent across the books – but do make sure you start with Cinders – number 1 – or you might find yourself lost as the stories are complex and the villain is often changing coat!
I definitely agree that is one of the best fantasy/science fiction series to come out recently. One of the best in the genre altogether. Not quite a classic like Arthur C. Clark’s stories but great fun to read and you really do get hooked and what to know what happens next.
Davis says that great stories have 5 parts – the introduction where you discover what the story is about and the main characters – the action – the classic crisis where everything falls to bits but – the part where it is resolved and you can take a breath that we are getting there – and finally the lessons we can learn to pass on.
If you look at the original stories such as Cinderella, Red Riding Hood and so on, you can see these 5 sections very clearly. Here parts 2, 3, and 4 happen in not just one book but all of them combining as the characters don’t go away when their story is finished but help tell the next story and the next and the next. So Cinders appears in all books and indeed, her story is the link and hook that brings in Scarlet, Cress and Winter to complete Cinder’s story.
5 stars for all these 4 books. I still have to read the Wicked Witch’s own story – Fairest – but will get to this later in the year.
Review originally posted on my book blog: https://afrolicthroughfiction.wordpress.com/2015/11/14/cress-by-marissa-meyer/

RATED 4.5/5 STARS

So, with the release of Winter (the 4th book in this series) just a few days ago, it was about time I read this book. I couldn’t believe the size of it compared to the first two books when I received it in the mail…and then I found out Winter is over 800 pages and thought “well this must be preparation then.”

I do have to admit that this book is my favourite in the series so far.

That may all change when I get round to reading and reviewing Winter.

But anyway.

Within the first 50 pages of this book, there was already action. Plans were being patched together in every way, shape, and form. I was hooked quite quickly, which I was surprised about because it did take me about 100 pages to get into the previous books. I felt like I was joining them on their fast-paced, never ending adventure, only I was safely tucked away at home.

Now, as the title suggests, we meet our new part of the team – Cress. I loved her personality. Even though she was really shy, she was incredibly imaginative and underestimated herself. I found the way she handled problems really interesting, because she would think of a solution, rather than fight her way through. Her character really added to the array of personalities in the main group. I love the ever growing cast of people! There’s just so much going on in the book, as it has to keep up with every character and their adventures. It felt like the book switched between character perspectives more, since there were so many to track.

I was glad to find that Kai did more in this book. I felt that in the first and second books, he didn’t really do much compared to the rest of the characters, and so his perspective would sometimes be boring. However, there is a vast improvement in this book, as he seemed to step up to the mark and actually tried to figure out more. I no longer found his chapters boring!

I didn’t even realize until halfway through that towards the end of each book, we tend to have a glimpse of the person named on the next book. This made me highly intrigued to see who Winter is. I was pleased when she was mentioned – and genuinely surprised. I didn’t expect her to be who she is. It just makes me more excited for the next book!

Like in the previous books, I did managed to guess one of the events that was about to happen. It was only a few pages before, but it was quite a significant event and the shock factor was taken away from me. It wasn’t too much of an issue, but it was fairly obvious.

While the book was fast paced, there were a couple of scenes I found to be a bit slow in comparison. Luckily these didn’t go on for too long. I was rooting for all the characters to meet. I wanted to see how each person would contribute to the team. I sped through most of the chapters in the hope it would bring me closer to seeing them meet, but there were so many smaller problems, making the story a (realistically) bumpy ride. Every time a plan seemed to be going fairly well, something would come around the corner and smash that idea to pieces, giving them another issue to overcome. There was plenty of drama going on, keeping me gripped throughout.

My favourite thing about this book was finding out the connections between everybody. There was this tangled web of how everybody knew each other, and once it began to unravel, the story seemed so much more cleverly thought out. It added to the confusion and wonder, making you read on to find out what on earth was happening. Then realization would strike and I’d be frantically reading with widened eyes to discover more.

The world building took a back seat in this book, since the majority was done in the first two books. It was mainly a plot driven story – which I had no problems with since it’s the third book in a series. I do have to mention how you see a slight glimpse of Luna in this part of the series though, so I’m hoping this will be touched upon more in the next book.

The ending was very dramatic and left me wanting to go out and buy Winter immediately. If it’s anything like the first three books in the series, then it’s going to be a great read!

Rated 4.5//5 stars!
on 3 April 2016
“Cress” is the retelling of Rapunzel. The third book in the Lunar Chronicles, following the events immediately after “Scarlet”.

Cress is a damsel in distress. Locked inside a satellite in outer space, she spends her days in complete solitude. Her daily tasks mainly consist of doing Queen Levana’s bidding by spying on earth and shielding the Lunar ships in space. But Cress dreams of the world outside her prison, so when she gets into contact with the Cyborg and Lunar Heir, Cinder, she immediately joins their cause. Plus, it wouldn’t hurt if the handsome—and criminal—Captain Thorne steps up to save her from her ill fate.

Marissa Meyer did it again. Her retellings really amaze me in a way I can’t quite explain. Because, while I can easily see the similarities to the original fairytale, it still manages to surprise and shock me.

I honestly didn’t know where the story was going. It was a nice feeling to be surprised when you keep thinking you’ve figured everything out.

Fx. Cress is saved from her satellite pretty early on in the book. Well, I say saved, but in all honesty, it’s more like she plummets to a certain death, heading straight for earth, only accompanied by Thorne. Lucky girl.

I was pretty excited over the fact that Cinder, Thorne, Iko, Scarlet and Wolf all were aboard the Rampion. Like, it was nice to see the familiar characters together… in space.

Although, my happiness didn’t last long since Scarlet is captured and taken to Lunar. It was tough for all of us to go through.

One of the thing I loved the most, was that the background information. Slowly, chapter by chapter, everything started to come together. It already started in the previous book, but I enjoyed it so much more in this one. Not only because I already knew more about Cinder’s past from the events in “Scarlet”. But also because I finally got to hear more about the Lunar society.

With that said, I need to admit that even here, I was a bit taken off by the different point of views. It took some time, but I did manage to pull myself out of another reading slump, and once I finished Cress, the rest of the series was read in two days or so.

It's a really good story. And it deserves a lot of praise for several reasons.

Would recommend to everyone who’s read the two first books. They only keep getting better and better
on 11 April 2016
This is my favourite book in the whole series so if you gave up reading Cinder or Scarlet, I recommend giving Cress a chance. We finally see all the Main characters come together. This is the second time I've read Cress and it still keeps me sitting on the edge of my seat throughout. Because there are lots of essential characters with very different personalitys, it's easy to find a character you can relate to. In Cress we see a couple of existing characters (Thorne and Doctor Erland) develop and hear a little about their backstory.
on 23 May 2015
This whole series has been brilliant so far and Cress did not disappoint. I was a little upset with the lack of Scarlet and Wolf's characters but it was necessary so i have no qualms! I was addicted to this in a very unhealthy way but i loved it! I didn't put the book down for a full 12 hours! The characters (Cinder, Kai, Wolf, Scarlet, Cress, Thorne and Iko) are such vibrant lovable characters but all in their own unique way which is something i find lacking in a lot of books; the characters are usually just variations of each other but in this series each character is a unique personality. The story line was taken up a massive notch and now my heart is broken because i have to wait MONTHS for the next book. We were introduced to the next books main female, Winter, and she seems just as awesome as the others (though she is slightly mental). We also got a look at the male lead, Jacin, and he is going to be a very interesting character indeed...
Shout out to Marissa Meyer for her pure talent and amazing writing abilities!
Note to Humanity: READ THIS BOOK!
I've been a huge fan of the Lunar Chronicles ever since I first read Cinder so I couldn't wait to get my hands on Cress, I pre-ordered this book as soon as it was available and I dropped everything to read it the minute my copy arrived. I love the way Marissa Meyer manages to weave fairytale characters into her stories, she has created such a fascinating world and it's full of characters I've come to love throughout the series. Each book adds a new main character, in this case we have Cress (a take on Rapunzel), but we still get the chance to catch up with previous characters and see how their journey is continuing.

Cress has been held prisoner on a tiny satellite orbiting earth for seven years now and she has been forced to help Queen Levana by hiding the Lunar ships full of soldiers that are currently in orbit. All she has ever wanted is to find a way to escape her prison and she hopes that by reaching out to Levana's enemy Cinder she might find herself an ally. Cinder is currently in hiding with Scarlet, Wolf and Thorne but she is determined to find a way to prevent Levana from marrying Emperor Kai and continuing her attempt to take over earth. Cress has insider information that could be vital but it isn't going to be easy to rescue her and still have time to stop the wedding from taking place.

From the minute I started this book I couldn't put it down, I just loved being back in this world and catching up with all of my favourite characters. It's not often an author can pull me back in to a series so easily when I've had to wait a year between instalments, this is a particular problem since I no longer have time to reread the previous books each time but thankfully that wasn't an issue here. Within a few pages I was fully immersed in Marissa Meyer's world and desperate to see how things played out. Cress is a book that has a lot of important revelations that are going to have major impact on how things play out in the final instalment, Winter. As such there were times when I found it a little slower than the previous books but that didn't mean I was any less hooked on the story - I stayed up until 5am to finish reading it so that's got to tell you something about how much I loved it!

Cress is very different to our previous heroines, she is much more innocent and naive but I found that completely understandable considering her circumstances. She has spent seven years trapped on a tiny satellite which is probably smaller than most studio apartments, the only person she has had any contact with has been one of Levana's trusted aides and that has only been for very short periods of time. It's actually quite surprising that Cress is still sane considering everything she's been through! I thought she was such a sweet character and I loved seeing her grow in confidence once she'd been rescued. She starts off as a damsel in distress but by the end of the book she is doing a much better job of standing on her own two feet. I loved Thorne in the previous book but he grew on me even more here, he is still that cheeky guy we came to love but he has a much nicer side that he keeps well hidden. Cress is the only one who sees through his witty banter to the hero hidden deep inside and even though she sees more good in his actions than were really there she ends up making him want to be a better man so he can live up to her expectations.

Cress is immediately besotted with Thorne because he is not only the person who comes to her rescue but as he rightly points out to her he is also the first man she's ever met. I'm glad that he calls her on her childish infatuation and doesn't take advantage of her affection. I would have liked a little more time spent seeing them get to know each other so that I could have had more faith in their relationship but I still enjoyed spending time with the two of them, especially once Cress started to grow up a little as she got used to the outside world. One other thing I missed in this instalment was Scarlet, she doesn't have such a major role in this story and she is separated from the others for the majority of the time which made my heart break for Wolf a little. I can understand why it had to happen that way though and I'm sure it's going to be very different in the next book.

We also get a glimpse at the next heroine, Winter, and I can't wait to find out more about her. She is a lunar princess but because she has refused to use her powers for so long she is starting to lose her sanity. Winter is definitely an interesting character and I'm sure she's going to cause all sorts of chaos in the next book. I've been following this series since the very beginning so it's going to be a long wait until Winter is released in 2015 but I'm sure it will be worth it - I'm absolutely desperate to know how things turn out for Cinder and the gang!