Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£5.71+ £1.26 shipping

on 12 October 2014
Like many other people I discovered the band via the rather excellant monthly Classic Rock magazine and so glad I did otherwise 2014's new music would have been missing a classic . No sinner offer the listener whiskey soaked , blues with a modern edge . Colleen Rennison is a star in the making , the Canadian vocalist has a voice that is so strong and soulful , with just about enough cigarettes smoked to give it that raspiness that sits so well with Eric Campbell's guitar tones . I cannot express how much I love this cd - and the band deliever live too , and are very friendly too ! .
The music - the EP kicks off with Boo Hoo Hoo , a real foot stomper that revisits the 60's and 70's in one song . Love is a madness is the perfect choice for a single - slow sultry start with a great bass line and fantastic vocals . Runnin ' is upbeat and has some fine guitar and solo from Mr Campbell . If anything is slow blues track with exceptional vocals from Colleen and we have the Nina Simone cover " work song " , which add layers to the original . That'll be the day is vocal and guitar only , and is one of the EP's highlights . Rise up my favourite track just builds and builds into a absolute classic , it's a slow burner , but once it hits it peak it's nothing short of phenomenal ! . Devil on my back has a mighty guitar riff to it , and is usually the set opener . And then we get too September Moon the last track , it's a great song lyrically and had to be the closer to a set of fine tunes - quick mention to , to Drummer Ian Browne who keeps tempo throughout wonderfully . To sum up - this EP is superb , cannot wait for the full length cd .
on 23 January 2014
Having heard Boo Hoo Hoo on the Classic Rock cover disc, realised it was a stone cold class being fresh, inventive and funny, I had to here what else they could do. Not regrets at all, a solid blues rock record with a fresh sound, it will keep me happy for a couple of weeks.

The bluesy rock'n'roll music provides a very effective vehicle for the big story here, which is of course Colleen Rennision's voice, a husky Joplinesque power house that can kill a man at 100 paces. Or maybe not but you get the idea.

Best song on the album is Devil On My Back, a bit Black Keys at first but swells into something quite wonderful.
Its not all at that standard however, a few of the songs give you the feeling that they are perhaps unfinished. But overall this is a good record.

The worst thing is the cover, a cheap photo which is sexist. I have no idea why the band allowed it. Were they that desperate for a deal? But that is of course a lot better thing to say about a record than saying the best thing about it is the cover.
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2014
It all started with an Amazon free download ............ The brilliant, tub-thumping title track 'Boo Hoo Hoo' opens proceedings with its driving drums and epic feel and paves the way for a very enjoyable album. The track opens with a bang, slows down in the middle, has one of those deafening silences before kicking back in to the chorus and finishes with a fade out. Excellent. No Sinner are built around the superb voice of Colleen Rennison (think Imelda May meets Beth Hart meets Caro Emerald). 'Love is a Madness' is a brooding, moody love song whilst the rock'n'roll style 'Runnin' opens with a T-Rex style riff (reminds me of 'Get It On') and rattles along at a cracking pace. 'Rise Up' is a slower almost anthemic track.

I could go through all of the tracks (there are sadly only 9) and all offer something - in fact it is a quite varied album. Not all are great but 'Devil On My Back' is another highlight. I really like this album but can't quite bring myself to give it 5 stars. I wonder what they would be like live ? Long way to Canada to find out !
on 25 September 2014
This is a very good debut from these Canadian blues rockers.
I'm not always a fan of female lead vocalists in rock bands, (don't mean to sound sexist), but sometimes a powerful delivery results in ear drum shattering screams. That is not the case here, Colleen Rennison is the star. Her gritty voice is perfect, sometimes it's bluesy sometimes soulful, never over the top. I do think that the guitar playing is adequate at best, but sometimes less is more as they say and these songs do not require extended guitar solos. At nine songs the album is on the short side, I would have liked another couple, but there is great potential here and I look forward to their next release.
on 2 February 2014
Came across this album on a search, so glad I did, good music is what I want and NO SINNER provide that, great sounds from a pro-band, looking forward to a follow up album (just hope she do,snt swap her cut off,s for something more glam cause that may just spoil the music) but if your here for the music, buy this album now !!!
on 18 September 2014
Absolutely brilliant.
Great voice.
great guitar work.
great drummer.
Nothing else needed.
on 14 February 2014
Listened to this band after a tip by Classic Rock Magazine and I was pleasantly impressed. Strong lead singer and excellent band supplying wonderful backing to this blues/rock ensemble. They will be better in time and if that is the case they have
a brilliant future in the business. I would recommend the band to all listeners of quality crafted music and beware of the strong and stirring vocals of the female lead...
on 5 October 2014
Just a short review. Certainly one of the better cds I've bought recently. Showing there's a lot of new talent knocking on the door.
It shows in the freshness. First three track as, for me okay, but I really liked the rest of the stuff. I would certainly recommend this to blues fans.
on 6 February 2014
If you like Beth Hart and that kind of raunchy female vocal, with great blues/soul/rock and roll guitars then this album is a great purchase.
Only 9 tracks and I wish the album had been longer.
on 2 October 2014
Little to add to what has been written previously. Other than say another exciting new talent. Where the best is yet to come.

Yet to buy a copy of her new solo album. Will be interested in how her voice sounds singing other genres.