Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.49

on 24 April 2014
Anne. O'Brien has produced her best book to date. Her knowledge of history and her infinite a facility to describe the feelings of people have helped make this the best book yet. She has chosen an extremely difficult subject, as there is so little factual history about her. But the Duchess comes to life under her skilled guidance. Lancaster is the large figure that he has always been, but her sympathic playing of him, makes him become a real person, with a glimpse of the overbearing tyrant that he could be.
The descriptions of life in those days is made real, the dripping of the roof at Kettletthorpe compared to the riches and opulence of The Savoy, makes one realise the different ways, that people existed in in those days. Katherine yearns to return to court life, but she is bound to her moldering keep, in order to preserve it for the son of her marriage.
Katherine is frequently torn between her love for Lancaster and returning to the Keewp and her duties as the land holder there.
A marvelous view of life on those days, which made me feel as though I was sharing the whole story with Katherine, together with her joys and sorrows. A superior book to Anya Setton's Katherine, the previous definite book on her.
on 27 August 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from Miss. O'Brien's pen. I read many of the reviews and found that most of them tried to put it against Anya Seton's book, Katherine. I found it unfair to do this. I, too read Katherine way back in the 60's and loved it and not realise it had become an iconic book. Miss O'Brien's book deals with Katherine and her Duke as they discover their love that was to last a life time and beyond. Of course, as with all historical characters, we do not know their thoughts and feelings, but with the amount of research that a novelist of Miss. O'Brien,s calibre does you can imagine. Read this book as a stand alone book and be transported back to walk beside Katherine and her John. Their passion must have been great to have lasted through all the dreadful tragedies that happened to them. Perhaps for them, love did conquer all.
on 20 August 2016
I was so very disappointed by this book. Like others I was entranced by Katherine by Anya Seaton and thought this book would capture some of the fascinating tale. Unfortunately it was told rather like a Mills & Boon full of Katherine's angst about John and did he love her or not and was she being wicked to be a kept woman. The whole story lurched on in this way and hardly touched on the historical elements unless absolutely necessary. I kept reading as I thought it would get better. It didn't.
on 19 July 2017
This is a different take on the life of Katherine Swynford from the Anya Seton book, "Katherine". It's no less absorbing though. This one is written in the first person, and very well written at that. I haven't finished it yet, I am rationing myself because I don't want it to run out!
on 18 June 2017
Brilliant read - I've read a huge amount from Plantagenets to Stuart's and this is a 'can't put down' book. Sorry I've finished it now but will re-read some day.
on 30 July 2017
Anne O'Brien seems to have a really natural way of writing, I can't put her books down
on 12 September 2017
Any story about my ancestors Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt must be good. She is a fascinating Character
on 20 July 2017
a gift
on 27 February 2015
The story was interesting as in line with the history. Sexy and full of sentiment. Kept you turning your pages to find out what's next. Worth reading.
on 1 May 2017