on 26 January 2014
Thomas Norwood has written an excellent book with genetic engineering as it's theme. It's set in a future Australia following a 2.8 metre sea level rise and weather extremes which led to the breakdown of society. Michael Khan is a genetic engineer with a problem. His wife has a form of HIV which he's desperately trying to cure. There's no money in a cure though, so he must disguise his research and produce his cure as a by-product. When the government get involved his work is adapted for biological warfare. To counter this he must work on improving humanities immune system.

Like the technothriller 'Immortality Gene' the hero must sidestep normal medical practices to release his genetic fix which will improve humanity. Where Immortality Gene aims to greatly extend human lifespan, Perfectible Animals aims to fix the immune system and make us more co-operative. Both have the ultimate aim of saving the world from destruction. Lovers of conspiracy theories are going to like this.

There are a few technical terms - it is about genetic engineering after all - don't let this put you off though, it shouldn't spoil the story for those without a science background.

Is there a happy ending? Well there's a successful ending and we must wait for a sequel promised for 2014 to see if it's going to be a happy one. At it's current price - it's a bargain - don't hesitate to buy it.

Perfectible Animals is well written in first person viewpoint and I didn't find any obvious errors.
VINE VOICEon 10 March 2014
I downloaded this as a Kindle book think iong they had an interesting idea here - and wish I had tried a sample first - I found the first person style used really irritating and it detracted from the GM human type concept inthe book. Probably doing it an injustice and I did try about 100 pages but in the end gave up.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 April 2016
Really enjoyed this book, I came from reading the entire Game of Thrones box set from start to finish so this was a very welcome change of pace
on 6 February 2014
Took me a while to get into this, but then where did the hours go! Storyline very interesting, characters believeable and easy to relate to, [love them or hate them!] good first novel and I cannot wait to read the next one....
on 11 May 2014
it's fun, but the plot is a bit untidy, leaving the reader confused rather than pondering. and now amazon is making this difficult with it's word numbers requirements
on 2 November 2013
INITIAL THOUGHTS
I received this book directly from the author, in exchange for my honest review.
Approaching this book I was quite intrigued by the blurb, but was a little worried that perhaps some of the scientific/genetics talk would be over my head and I'll admit that about 56% of the way through the book I did feel a little overwhelmed by some of the terminology. Having said that I did really enjoy the book.

MY REVIEW
The cover shows a "human" or maybe a "modified human" with genetic symbols also on the front cover. the font and the author name is in a computurised type of font which fits in with the book content as it is scientific in genre.
So we to begin with we meet Michael Khan a brilliant scientist who has been arrested on charges of terrorism. Michael is put through some extremely hard cross examination as well as having his head messed with as one of his co-workers is arrested and they are continually played off against each other. Then the story flashes back and we learn about everything that happens. At the end of the book we go back to Michael being questioned at court. Michael finds out for sure whether his colleague Justin has turned against him or not. Prospects seem to be looking up for Michael but then. . . well you need to read the book.
Michael may be a clinical, logical scientist but he has a wife with an auto immune disease he is also trying to cure with his genetic experiments. Justin his co-worker has a relative who is ill so they have that in common as well as working together. Also in this book there are two sectors of society, the haves within a segregated section of town and the have not's outside the gate. They are referred to the Regulated (inside) and the De-Regulated (outside). The world has changed dramatically after the horrific floods, food is in short supply.
Michael's wife is really too ill to work but she volunteers at a medical clinic in the De-Regulated Zone, so they both have friends there. When the government decides to wipe out the De-Regulated Zone with a virus that Michael has worked on, both Michael and his wife try to vaccinate the poor people. Obviously that doesn't endear them to the government either.
Then mixed in with all the politics are the innocents that have been created in a scientific lab who yes are immune to viruses but can create worse if they are kept in close proximity to one another. they can be a death threat to "normal" humans. The government will want them killed if they find out before Michael can hide them. So Michael approaches some rather hippie friends of his and his wife who are part of the New Church Cult.
Will the Cult help hide the kids? Why doesn't Michael and his wife hide too?
This book definitely lives up to the genre classification that the author gave it as a Technothriller. It's not necessarily a book that I would have chosen by it's genre but after reading it I have to say apart from the odd confusing scientific talk I did enjoy the book. The rest of the book is good enough to read that you get past the difficult parts.
So did I enjoy the book? Yes I did enjoy it though as I have said there are more complicated sections of the book to get through. The book is totally worth sticking with though. Would I recommend the book? Yes, I think it would appeal to adult readers or older teens that prefer a more involved plot. Would I read a BK#2? Yes please!If you are reading my Review Thomas Norwood, I'd love to be added to your reviewer list for Bk#2 if you have one. Would I read other books by this Author? I would certainly take a close look at anything written by this author.
on 1 March 2015
I liked this book, it was fun, quick and interesting. It's strongest point is without a doubt it's core idea, backed up by a believable dystopian background. It could have been better perhaps in terms of character development, and the writing style was perhaps a little bit simplistic, but i guess this added to its easy readability. This is never going to be the next gone with the wind, but it is definitely worth a read and i'm looking forward to the sequel. If you have a commute, are interested in hopeful dystopias and have a few bucks to spare i would give it a go.