on 14 April 2014
Great Little piece of kit. Met it's expectations given it only cost £113. Runs Win7 64 bit perfectly, had supplied driver issues with 32 bit version.
Capable of Playing 1080 video fine, Intel audio can only Support 2 Channel via HDMI/Analog, haven't tried sp/dif. However using XBMC this passes through Dolby (ac3) No Problems, WILL NOT DO: DTS or Dolby Digital Plus. Runs Unreal Tournament fine, wouldn't expect much from it in terms of gaming.
I was thinking given it's low speed and power consumption that this would be silent running, however it has a tiny fan that spins often up to 2000rpm and is comparable in noise to most modern laptops under load, not a deal breaker, but it is loud enough sometimes to notice.
on 20 April 2014
I got this when it was £113 and I have installed Windows 8.1 64 bit. I was going to buy the CCL version which was barebone but as this was the same price it was a no brainer. I have installed 8GB of ram (yes it can take 8gb ram) and a 240GB SSD drive (SATA) and this machine is very fast. It boots up in no more than 10 seconds. It is ideal where space is limited and given its low power consumption, I don't worry too much if it is left on most of the time.

I have played all different formats of movies and it plays them cleanly and is also ideal for online streaming of movies etc. Wireless range is very good and the 2 USB3 ports on the rear ensure that data transfer is pretty quick using USB3 drives. Some people have commented on the fan noise but I have not found it an issue at all
on 13 April 2014
It's compact, powerful for its size and has USB 3.0. It runs Xubuntu / XBMC well. Xubuntu requires no further setup once installed. On paper it is the perfect machine to use for a media centre under the TV.

However it does put out a fair bit of noise for a pc this size. If you like to watch quiet atmospheric films such as gravity then you may be disappointed. The noise is a mid range whining fan sound which revs up and down. It's not incredibly loud, but can be distracting. There are a few threads about this on internet forums.

One other slightly nerdy point (and possibly irrelevant for most people) is that if you want to install or boot from a live SD/MicroSD(with adapter) from the multicard reader, you may run into problems. The multicard reader doesn't seem to be able to provide stable read output to support this, at least on my unit. Typically it will boot but then randomly fail during a SD based linux installation or live system startup. The same SD will work perfectly in a usb dongle SD reader on the same machine.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2014
I bought this as a media server to sit behind my television. I also bought a Logitech K400 Wireless Touch Keyboard to control it. The MSI computer comes without an operating system which was a big plus for me as I resent having to pay a "Windows" tax when I purchase a computer. I plugged in the wireless chip from the keyboard into one of 4 usb sockets and an external DVD player with Ubuntu Gnome 14.04.1 64 bit image on a DVD and turned the computer on. It installed like a dream from the disk within 20 mins. I also installed XBMC as a media streamer. It easily picked up my networked hard drive via uPnP. So it will stream music and video and provide connection to iplayer etc via the network. I am using an ethernet link to my router although wireless is also possible and just as effective.

The connection to the TV is via the HDMI output. To get the audio through the HDMI connection I needed to install pulseaudio control panel from Ubuntu and change the settings accordingly.

In conclusion this was a very good solution to turn a dumb tv into a smart tv! The fan noise is there but is not an issue since the MSI computer is out of the way behind the tv.
on 16 February 2016
I have had this for over a year now. I increased the ram to 4gb and installed Windows 10 on a small ssd. The processor isn't the fastest but works very well for my needs with no noticeable lag. This machine serves as a media centre (with both plex and kodi) I have had no issues with this little machine and it streams and plays 1080p without issue. It's quiet in operation (you can hear the fan of it cuts in when the volume is down low) it's a very strong construction (i dropped mine onto a hard floor and it didn't snap or break anything and fortunately still works fine).
on 18 May 2016
This is excellent! bought this to use as a music player using XP and Foobar2000 which it does flawlessly.
Have now started using it as a video player using SMP Player for those awkward MKV files.
I use the optical output using Blue Jean toslink cables (superb) it does make a bit of noise but you have to be really close to it hear it.
I like it so much, I'm going to buy another one for the kitchen!
on 13 March 2016
If you are hessitant then don't be. This is a super little PC that i have running Linux Mint 17.3 with no issue's. Try'd Windows 7 out of curriosity only, and yes it is slow , but this does have celeron processor so it would be slow with Windows. However, I always had planned to run Linux on it and I have no regret's. At £129 what's not to like. Buy it , and do yourself a favour , leave the borefest of Windows behind.
on 29 June 2014
I use this to run two IP Cameras and a few services. It happily sits all day crunching away. Easy to setup, Easy to use, my only issue with it is the fan is a bit noisy at times, other than that if you are looking for a low powered, small form factor desktop pc, you won't go far wrong with this.
on 23 April 2014
I am using this as a home theatre PC by installing unbuntu and XBMC. It works well.

With the above software, a wireless keyboard/mouse and a USB joypad this all I need under my TV.

The fan could be quieter but certainly not a deal breaker for me.
on 2 March 2016
All the connectivity I wanted, sits behind a monitor in my small office. I installed windows 10 and all the usual office software and some CAD one's as well. It's quiet, sturdy and looks pretty good too.