on 18 February 2014
This was a free short story and it was fantastic. It's frightening to read on a way because of all the rain we've had and the flooding already. It's something that could happen. I can't wait to read more from this author. Give this one a go, you won't be disappointed.
on 18 January 2014
Only two chapters long, but I was hooked by the end.
Now on to part two
Give it a go, what have you got to lose.
on 2 February 2014
Enjoyable read. It started off quite slow (and seemed to be describing a typical summer in Dumfries). The authors' writing style, I found, took some getting used to, and on several occasions I came close to giving up on it. I am glad, however, that I didn't as it developed into a very enjoyable read and one of those books you just don't want to put down until the end.. See my review for part 5.
on 25 May 2015
As a fanatic of apocalyptic fiction. I was introduced to the adventures of Russell and Tanner (The main characters) through the tempting offer of reading the first couple of chapters for free, which is funny as throughout the adventures of the characters in the first of the trilogy, THE RAIN, you learn that nothing is for free without the favor having to be returned or having to face consequences. The veneer is often spoke about throughout and eventually becomes something that as the reader you will learn to compare to your own life's ups and downs. Fans of Naughty Dog's PS Game 'THE LAST OF US' will relate to this story. The Relationship of Russell and Tanner somewhat reminds me of the relationship between Joel and Elly from the game. However, THE RAIN takes a different approach to demonstrating their relationship. Joseph Turkot cleverly breaks through taboos and shows the sexual awakening of Tanner. We learn of her thoughts about Russell being more than a father figure and doesn't sugarcoat that in a Post Apocalyptic world shes is not just surviving but fighting against the threat that she could be seen as food, currency and as an object of sexual entertainment to the many consumed by greed and lust.

The first few chapters really sets the mood for the rest of the book. We learn through the visually descriptive words of the misery that anyone still alive in this world has to endure. Its dark, wet and miserable. Everyday seems to show no escape from the Rain that is hampering their desire to feel the warmth and to experience a dry nights sleep. As you read through the book you can feel the characters desperation and can compare many of the elements to other stories such as The Walking Dead, I am Legend, The Book Of Eli and you learn about how it wasn't always so miserable, and how determination and the occasional optimism helped the characters progress . There are scenes in the book that can play out in your mind like you are watching a movie. With many visually descriptive moments I saw the words play out in my mind like I was there. The book demonstrates how trusting someone can leave you with a crisis of conscience and learn how far people are prepared to go to survive.

A good thing about this story is that (unlike many other post apocalyptic stories) you dont feel that questioning the science really has an impact on the story. They briefly discuss their opinion on what causes the rain to start but as a reader, knowing inst your priority.

I very rarely give 5 stars to books but so far this part of the trilogy is ticking all the right boxes. Action, Adventure, Highs and Lows, sexual chemistry and Betrayal.

Looking forward to reading THE SNOW now
on 18 December 2013
Very surprised at what a good read this was. A Waterworld meets The Road post apocalyptic story with enough intrigue to make me immediately by part 2 as soon as I finished pt 1.
on 16 March 2014
Wow!!!! Where to start..... I never usually bother writing reviews for books but I feel like I HAVE to make an exception this time, it's important for these self published authors to get the recognition they deserve! The Rain had me engrossed from page one, it's a fast paced post apocalyptic novel - very convincing. The characters are multi dimensional especially the main character, Tanner is my favourite because there is real depth to her. Russel is also a very intriguing character- a lot of mystery surrounding him. I bought the book in four parts and by the end of each part I was already anticipating the next, I read this over a couple of hours and it has to be one if the best books I've read this year. The story continues in the Snow which is equally brilliant, I'm waiting on part 5 of that already! In short if you do anything this summer please please PLEASE invest in this book. You won't be disappointed!
on 12 January 2014
Enjoyed this so much I bought the full book ( parts 1-5) as soon as I'd finished it and have now bought part 1 of the sequel.
on 23 August 2014
If a writer is going to write in first person there needs to be a reason for it. Why is this character talking directly to us? Are they writing a journal? Telling their story to someone? Yet here there was no explanation in the sample I read.

It seems to be an increasingly common thing, where people write novels in first person, basically because it's easier. You can repeat yourself, use incorrect English, use an easy range of vocab (in this case for a 16 year old), and you can get away with not much editing and not much skill, because what you're writing is supposed to be a kind of stream of consciousness.

Secondly, the whole idea of the rain covering most of the land is nonsense. There isn't enough water on Earth. If it did rain only in certain continents then that water could form huge inland lakes, but would eventually overflow and join the ocean. America would always have plenty of land remaining. And if there is more water being evaporated and constantly forming clouds then it could be argued that there would even be an overall fall in sea level. The scenario which is the basis for this story is very poorly thought through.
on 3 August 2015
Love Science Fiction, but this is just unbelievable, Come on Sci-Fi has to have some basis in fact, or believability, this has neither, nor is it particularly well written.

I will read almost anything, but this bored me silly.
on 5 October 2014
Really like the style,very thought provoking and dramatic. Now going straight on to purchase the rest of the set....who needs sleep when you have a great read!