Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 15 October 2014
Where to start, I discovered The Danny Baker Story a few months ago after hitting yet another low point in depression. I decided to read his memoir, I started and couldn't put it down, the emotions, feelings, expectations, worries were all something I could relate to and so much more. I was hesitant to start with as I've tried so many things to overcome depression, but I was hooked on every word, I found reading this gave me hope, so I read it again. I started following him on Facebook and signed up for the daily quotes. The more I read the more my brain was understanding that the help I had sought before was not right for me, that it had lead me along a path of 20 years of depression. I'm now sitting here a few months down the line on a high, living my life, enjoying my life, off antidepressants, no suicidal thoughts in sight. Being able to treat negative thoughts as passing thoughts and not have them control me. If you need hope this is definitely worth reading. Danny has a way to make things so easy to understand, very well written and his memoir is proof that you can overcome depression. I owe you a pint Danny for helping me get my life back. :)
11 comment| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2013
I came across Danny Baker on Twitter, I am currently in a world of pain due to Clinical Depression and I had been following Danny for a couple of days his tweets made me want to know more. I am not a reader and this is only the 2nd book I have read in one day. So so much of what he writes makes sense and the absolute honesty is exactly what is needed. If you suffer with a mental illness or know someone who does you will not regret this purchase. I found it hard to read at times as his experiences are so well explained they made me feel the pain of my experiences, old and new, but it is worth it. I am sure his [...] campaign will go from strength to strength and I hope to get involved at some point.
on 20 May 2016
From reading this book, you get the feeling of knowing the author as a friend. He has a warm, honest way of writing that you don't come across often ( at all). His openness and retelling of his own struggles and findings are both poignant and positive at the same time. I'm now an avid reader of his work, including his blogs. I want him to be happy, because he seems such a decent human being. Empathy runs through his writing.
on 9 February 2016
What a brilliant book I couldn't put it down. The author describes how his depression felt to him brilliantly, I have battled depression for eight years now and I wish this book had been available back in 2007. The author describes his feelings and experiences, exactly how I feel when I suffer a bout of this debilitating illness to a T. In my opinion every one who has suffered or is in the grip of this awful illness should read this book and I also think partners and other family members of sufferers should read it. I also think GP's should read it because it explains what it is like to suffer from depression. A lot of doctors dont have a clue, a fantastic book I highly recommend reading it
on 12 April 2016
This was an interesting read, it rang true with my own experience of depression. It may possibly be a bit real for those that do not understand the struggle or for those in denial but it's absolutely a story and experience that should be better understood generally. I am quite honestly in awe of the bravery it must have taken to tell such a personal struggle.
on 26 October 2015
As i suffer with depression this book has hit a note with me. It is a very true representation of just how it feels. It is very hard to put into words how things seem to yourself or others and this hits the nail on the head. It is very well written and id say to anyone whether they're too suffering or not, give it a read.
on 26 February 2016
This was a fantastic read. I've read Danny Baker's "I Will Not Kill Myself, Olivia" and was immediately drawn to the author's honest writing style. I was already planning on reading the Depression is a Liar series, but took advantage of the offer to write an honest review of this book in order to receive a free copy. I'm normally one of those people that reads a few pages a night of a book over a period of a few months, but I read this one in two days. Danny's raw honesty makes for a very intense, interesting, relatable read. This is basically Danny's autobiography that takes place during his struggle with depression. The book is arranged with each chapter being a time period (usually a month), and it progresses over a few years. I would recommend reading "I will Not Kill Myself, Olivia" before reading this because you can really see where he got the inspiration to write that book, and, since he talks about his writing journey extensively in "Depression is a Liar", you can see that he really has the potential to write a great novel even when he was doubting himself. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who suffers from depression, is looking to understanding depression a bit more, or just wants to read about a very authentic example of someone searching for happiness.
on 5 December 2015
I feel exhausted from reading this book...Danny's strength and determination is mind blowing. The amount of work he undertook through University and the other challenges he took on with setting up charities and writing his novel, would floor most people, let alone those with depression and an emerging illnesss such as a Bipolar disorder. I love the honesty with which he writes especially from somebody who is essentially a very private person. I do think Danny is incredibly lucky to have wonderfully supportive parents and the financial means to seek private, professional help and having worked in Mental Health in the UK for a number of years, I know this is not the case for the majority. I also believe Danny gained extra strength from his Faith which not everyone has. Now for me to be as honest as Danny. Reading this memoir and I Will Not Kill Myself, Olivia, gave me the courage to open up to a few close friends about my own struggle with depression and although it's not as severe, has been around for many years without anyone knowing. Although it felt quite liberating, I've a long way to go but thanks to Danny, who is half my age, showing such courage and determination, I've started. Thank you Danny and I wish you health and happiness in your future endeavours. You truly are inspirational.
on 3 November 2014
Not sure what to say ...... wow what a book would advise anybody who has problems to give this book a read ... Want to say thank you Danny for writing your story
on 20 October 2015
The title struck an immediate chord with me as I have lived with the lies and shadows depression casts for many years now. This book eloquently captures the consuming nature of mental illness and the steps we need to take daily to prevent the demons from leaching the light from our lives. It serves as an inspiration to those who live with depression and as an education for those who wish to better understand the shoes we walk in