on 1 August 2017
This was an okay film actually. Quite enjoyed it.
on 2 January 2018
Its ok not as good as the original.
on 23 December 2017
Pleasantly surprised by this film, dark and creepy and the actors are excellent.
on 17 July 2017
It arrived safe and sound.
on 15 January 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed it, slightly gory but doesn't overly rely on blood and guts, sinister but not scary, overall very good.
on 8 October 2014
I was a little dubious about this one, another American remake of a film (Mexican this time) that perhaps doesn't really need remaking. I was sold by the fact it's directed by Jim Mickle, the man behind the excellent Stake Land (check it out). Well I'm glad I gave it a go, I felt We Are What We Are was a gritty, grisly horror/thriller and well worth the trip.

The plot focuses mainly on the Parker family, who live in a rural American town. After Mrs Parker passes away early on in the piece, we're left with the domineering father, Frank, with his two daughters and young son. There's something not quite right about this family though relating to Franks insistence on following some strange rituals. More is revealed about this as we go, prompted by a storm and flood and some curious locals.

I won't say anymore about the plot, I think it's better to go in fresh if you don't already know too much. What follows is a creepy, atmospheric, slow burning chiller - it's not fast paced and is not built on action set pieces but can bring a little carnage when required. The acting is of a good standard all round, especially surprisingly excellent turns from some of the younger cast members.

Recommended from me but perhaps don't watch it around mealtimes.
on 27 October 2017
Very good. Disturbingly so! I think a previous reviewer (who is probably a v. good film buff for this genre) has already said that Americans are copy cats of horror films [and all genres of public entertainment to be honest]. I expected to be disappointed but was impressed: many unexpected twists and turns: you think you know what's going to happen and then something different does; it's psychological horror too and it's daring to the point of being reminded of, but not as great as, cult brilliant Brit horrors and the best off the rest [Omen, Rosemary's Baby, Exorcist, Amytiville Horror, Straw Dogs 1970's(?), Children of the Corn, The Entity, Stephen King's and Hitchcock's stuff...] that younger horror fans have yet to indulge in. This film is not an instant slasher, gore infested teens-in-trouble, zombie or flippin' live found-footage film and, yes, it could have been a bit quicker paced at points but overall I was moved, disturbed, shocked, uneasy, surprised and it will be memorable to me - hence my time to write this review & I'm not a spoiler. My main qualm - and I don't know if it's because I'm a Londoner who can usually understand other accents, etc. but admit am no expert in dialects or sound engineering - I found I had to rewind and turn volume up to decipher what the father was saying through too much of this film because he sounded muffled. I also couldn't understand the link to the past and the present but it wasn't really essential: I got the gist. However really good effort and look forward to seeing other horrors similar that are actually daring to be horrific because some horrors do actually happen in real life: it's not all about zombies and idiots traipsing like fools through bracken with a video or camera phone. That aside, I hope this is a helpful review, as I've found many stars on Amazon video that don't deserve their rating. Hopefully Amazon will step up their game on that front especially with Prime but I can't be disappointed with this film.
on 30 November 2017
We Are What We Are is that rarest of things: a remake of an excellent foreign language horror movie (2010's We Are What We Are - also very strongly recommended) that actually improves on it's source material. Intelligent, glacial, beautifully shot, flawlessly acted and worthy of repeat viewings, director Jim Mickle's stated approach here (seeking to combine the likes of The Shining, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Picnic at Hanging Rock) really paid off. So, what's it about? Well, that's covered fully by other reviewers here - this is really just an overview.

Anyone expecting a small-town Cannibal Holocaust/Cannibal Ferox/Texas Chainsaw/Cannibal Man/Ravenous is likely to be disappointed though - this is NOT a retread of those movies, and it's emphasis on ritual, character and circumstance and slowly unfolding horror, rather than constant explosions of gory flesh eating, aligns WAWWA more with the likes of The Wicker Man or Wake Wood than anything else in cannibal cinema land. The explosive and disturbing conclusion however is strong stuff by any measure. And upsetting.

I really can't praise this film strongly enough. If you're a fan of cerebral and challenging horror movies, though, you should check this out.

On the Italian Blu-ray: So, weirdly, you can only get a Region B version of the film in other European territories - not the UK. No problems with this Italian version: the film and all special features are in English. Just turn off the subs, and you're watching the same content as the Region A version.
on 26 March 2014
We Are What We Are is a remake of the 2010 Mexican Horror film of the same name. While the original was a solid film in its own right, the remake improves many aspects of the original, I actually enjoyed both films as each gave us a similar plot but with a different perspective. After their mother dies in a tragic slip where she ends up drowning in a ditch, the young girls of the Parker Family are not only left to take care of their distraught father and oblivious younger brother, but to tend to the family traditions, most of which involved butchering young girls and eating them, because God says so. The Parker clan lives a simple life in the Catskills, serving God and doing their best to avoid notice. When the same torrential rainstorm that threw their ailing mother in a ditch starts washing old human bones downstream, the local Doctor (and Coroner?) starts to question just what is up with the clan, and if they had anything to do with the recent disappearance of his daughter. With a dead mother, a shaky and creepy dad, a nosy neighbor and the town Doctor and Police asking too many questions, the daughters of the Parker Family take up their duties and do their best to uphold a family tradition that really shows just how messed up their family is. Nastiness and uncomfortable dinner scenes ensue. Those who don't like slow burn films probably won't enjoy this film, some parts admittedly were a bit slow however it does improve during the second half as the tone of the film quickly becomes darker and more disturbing. The opening scene of the movie sets the tone and a fairly high quality bar for the movie. It all feels very sparse and simple, and never gets too over-complex, while at the same time weaving a pretty intricate tapestry of patriarchy, morals, and Religion around the horrifying practice of cannibalism. Everyone in the cast did an amazing job, and so it's hard to single out just a few of them for praise especially the two young daughters, I thought that the acting was definitely top notch. We Are What We Are is a macabre slice of cinema and is also a good mix of drama and horror. It may not be for everyone as it is a slow burn but there is true depth in here that is worth exploring.
on 23 July 2017
Very strange , but enjoyed it