on 16 January 2014
After buying a new PC with the delightful Windows 8.1 on it ( am I the only person
in the world that likes it ? ), I found that I could not reinstall my version of
Family Tree Maker as it was incompatible.
So I purchased the 2014 edition.
Fortunately I had regularly backed-up my family tree but panicked slightly when I
tried to import the tree and it told me that it could not do so. It informed me
that it would have to convert the file/s to make it compatible.
However, after telling it to go ahead and holding my breath, it went like a dream.
My family tree imported with no issues and, from what I can see so far, it is
behaving itself beautifully.
Additionally, it comes with a three month membership of Ancestry.co.uk
so I can take advantage of that again at any time I want and do any further updates
to the tree.
I find this program very good value for money and far better than others I have tried.
To newcomers the interface may look a little daunting at first but is easy to get to
grips with, plus there is plenty of online help available.
on 14 December 2013
I am very please with how this software operates and syncs with my online tree.
I like the reports it generates; only thing I would change is being able to save the downloaded trees in word so I can edit them rather than have them saved as pdf.
on 11 July 2014
This was not user friendly and very difficult to see even though I made the font as large as I could it was still small. I managed to get may old Family Tree Maker CD on to my new computer and am using that one rather than the new one. I wish I hadn't bought the new one
on 18 March 2014
Having had it work properly for a few weeks now it will not sync. It doesn't recognise me and has had me to reregister the account. Sends an error message that is really annoying as there doesn't seem a way to get it working properly. When contacting FT or Ancestry sent automated messages as a reply. Very disappointed but glad I only wasted £16.99 on it
on 19 February 2014
After reviewing various online comments (good and bad) about differing versions of this software, I have to say I am very pleased with this, especially as I got it at £16.99. There is still lots to learn with the functionality, but so far so good.
If like me you have already done a fair bit of research with freeBMD etc, then you will find the free essentials membership gives most value with access to old census records.
However it is not long before you will wish you bought a version with free premium membership (but at the right price !).
Happy hunting !
on 22 January 2016
DO NOT BUY THIS.
Family tree maker has been discontinued by Ancestry. The linking and search facilities will not work. This is a useless piece of software without the links into Ancestry.com but the company has refused to allow program access anywhere. Ancestry now only has an online system that you must pay for each year by subscription.
"Ancestry will continue to support current owners of Family Tree Maker through January 1, 2017. During this time, all features of the software, including TreeSync™, will continue to work, and Member Services will be available to assist with user questions. We will also address major software bugs that may occur, as well as compatibility updates." Quote from Ancestry
on 19 February 2014
Much much more useful than my old Family Tree Maker. Integrates with Ancestry which could be a pro or minus. Really speed up you searching if someone else has done the donkey work and has the references and attachments. That being said spoils the fun a bit.
on 4 March 2014
family tree maker 2014 is nowhere near as good as previous programs, it is very difficult to get it to produce trees and reports spanning the generations.

I would not recommend it stick with your older versions.
on 21 August 2014
As an IT professional I must say this is truly dreadful software. I had the 2006 version & only changed because the family tree won't export to PDF in Windows 7. I'm going to send it back for a refund. Don't buy this, you're better off with a pencil & paper.
on 18 January 2016
Earlier version would not work on Windows 2010, so I searched for a solution. The supplier is no longer supporting the software.
WARNING TO ALL POTENTIAL USERS; THIS IS REDUNDANT SOFTWARE NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY ANCESTRY.COM.

I quote: " Thank you for your interest. Family Tree Maker software will no longer be available for purchase starting December 31, 2015, but we will continue to support existing users through 2016. "

Perhaps Amazon could arrange a discount fire sale for the last few.......