Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 November 2013
If I hadn't heard the opening track on Planet Rock I probably would never have come across this amazing piece of work. One would expect some sort of shouty screamy dark doom metal here but if anything the almost angelically sweet singing and the restrained power of the band make the whole thing somehow even creepier. It's a bit like how an empty fairground has an air of restrained menace. You could just imagine yourself nodding along to this in the car before realising that perhaps these guys aren't actually that nice. Nevertheless this deserves a listen, my one caveat being that the price is maybe a bit steep for only 5 tracks.
on 18 November 2013
Produced by Dave Grohl, this 5-track covers EP sees Swedish melodic doomsters Ghost flying their commercial colours higher than ever before. The first single, 'If You Have Ghosts', is fantastic and already getting airplay, but it's the Army Of Lovers cover, 'Crucified', that really takes the Eucharist, combining pop sensibility with genuine snarling menace. We always knew The Old One had all the best tunes, we just didn't know you could sing along with them in the shower???
on 12 May 2016
what can I say, Ghost doing covers superbly well.

The only weak track for me is the abba cover (I'm a marionette) but Waiting for the night, Crucified and If you have ghosts make it a no brainer.
on 18 March 2014
At 44 new music was feeling a bit stale for me, nothing new excited me - then I discovered Ghost. Already owning the two albums and loving both I had to add this to my collection. Papa's amazing voice & the Nameless Ghouls music make this an essential purchase.
VINE VOICEon 6 January 2014
I first heard 'If you have ghost' on a national rock radio station and at first I though it was The Moody Blues as it has the same melodic sound and the lead singer sounds very like Justin Hayward. However, I don't for one moment think that Justin Hayward would dress as a demonic Catholic Bishop. Whether you agree with how the band dress to perform or not I don't think many people would turn this CD off as it is very easy on the ears. Added to this the great Dave Grohl helped to produce this CD as well as play on a couple of the tracks, what better recommendation could you ask for?
on 18 November 2013
The perfect addition to your Ghost collection! Fantastic covers by the Nameless Ghouls and Papa Emeritus II...! I love it!!
on 25 November 2013
Ghost never pretended that they wanted anything but commercial success, packaging themselves like a European version of Kiss for the 21st Century, with their vigorously defended anonymity, silly outfits and an understanding of how tunes can catch in the listeners brain like barbed hooks. And like Kiss - despite the demographic of their fan bases - they only really skirt around the edges of Metal in favour of a classic 70s rock sound that ensures that their success goes beyond the reaches that all-out heaviness would bar them from attaining.

And so, as their side of their contract with the devil flourishes, they now find themselves working with Nirvana and Foo Fighters megastar Dave Grohl, who has produced this EP of pop covers, including a reworking, with some very Grohlesque drumming, of Abba's I'm A Marionette, which also featured on this year's Infestissumam. Other tracks involve a fine rendition of acid rocker Roky Erickson's If You Have Ghosts, Depeche Mode's Waiting For the Night and Army Of Lovers' camp classic Crucified. Despite the mainstream veneer of such choices, each track has something of genuine darkness spilling out from it, and taken as a whole they click together nicely, producing a coherent and consistent project that Grohl and the band have drawn together very well. Concluding matters is a great live version of their sinister waltz Secular Haze, which seals this new sub-section of their unravelling contract together in a satisfactory manner.
on 22 January 2016
I decided to purchase this EP after hearing the first track, a cover of Roky Erickson's "If You Have Ghosts", online. I was excited to see Ghost paying tribute to Roky, whose works I do admire. It's a very solid interpretation and definitely my favourite track this EP has to offer. The 2 tracks that follow (I'm a Marionette; Crucified) are not nearly as strong - I was immediately a bit disappointed and these tracks have not particularly grown on me. I've got no issue with Waiting for the Night; it's a fine song, just not the band at their best. The 5th and final track, Secular Haze, is a great-sounding live recording of an enjoyable tune tinged with macabre. One can envision the band playing in ominous fashion within a collection of smoke. I'd go as far as saying they invoke a bit of Black Sabbath with this one.

I'd summarize the EP thusly: If you are a fan of Ghost and are really enjoying everything they've done, you'll definitely want this as it's got some great moments not found elsewhere. If you're wondering what they're about and, like me, have found your way to this thanks to the Roky Erickson cover, I wouldn't really recommend taking a chance on this unless you've got space in your collection and a bit of extra change.
I'd tell anyone to start with their newest album, last year's Meliora, the most thoroughly enjoyable Ghost effort, in my opinion.
on 9 May 2014
This is an amazing piece of work and all the Cover songs are to my liking.....especially the Depeche Mode cover (Depeche Mode have a lot of followers in Sweden) and the ABBA Cover. The sound quality is supreme. Nice work from Ghost.
on 19 January 2014
My wife heard this on Planet Rock and I bought it based on her recommendation. Really pleased - all the tracks are really good. Will be purchasing more "Ghost"!