on 9 November 2013
This is a very easy to read guide that contains all the information you need to enjoy painting in a loose watercolour style. It's clearly written and beautifully illustrated, and is a great antidote to the fear of failure that prevents so many of us from painting and loving it.

It's a really attractive watercolour style, and this introduction is suitable for all levels of experience from beginner upwards. I've been teaching watercolour for years and I learned from and was inspired by this little book.

The demonstrations and examples shown are all landscape paintings. It would be nice to see some examples of other loosely painted subjects - still life or portraits for example. Perhaps a sequel? I would buy it.

Highly recommended. Buy it and get your paints out.
7 people found this helpful
on 16 October 2013
In this little ebook, the author gives us the inspiration to have a go at looser watercolours. It isn't a long book, more like a really extensive magazine article, so it is easy to read in one sitting and, once inspired, get on with picking up your brushes and paints to have a go. His explanations of some of the key terms and materials used in watercolour painting are very clear and straightforward and I really like the idea of creating a protective frame for the painting.
For the price, it is much better value than buying an art magazine in my local store.
7 people found this helpful
on 29 October 2017
I impressed by his sensible positive advice. The effects he achieves are gorgeous and I am definitely going to have a go and stop being so worried about controlling my watercolour painting.
One person found this helpful
on 24 October 2013
This is Roy's second book and it is full of encouragement and down to earth advice. When we are learning about watercolour we have to progress one step at a time otherwise there is too much to think about when we are not in control of the medium. This book dispels some of the myths, encourages us simply to paint and not worry too much about the outcome, and is written in an easy, relaxed way. There are some very effective step by steps which I will be having a go at as Roy is a master of landscape and someone to learn a lot from, but what I like most of all about the book is that Roy seems to put his techniques of loose watercolour within reach for the rest of us!!
4 people found this helpful
on 16 February 2014
This is exactly the book that I've been looking for. While I enjoy traditional landscape painting, it is this loose approach to watercolor, and using more of the white of the paper that I find much more appealing. I hope that Roy will write a longer book with more techniques and paintings for us to check out, but in the meantime I'm very happy to have found this book!
on 3 June 2014
This book is quite interesting, showing the techniques of fast, loose watercolour painting. I shall be trying this method out myself and see how I go with it. Worth the buy if you are wanting to see how it is done.
on 21 June 2016
Techniques are too complex as an introduction. That aside, for the relevant level of watercolourist this is a decent book
on 28 June 2014
It was simply laid out. Very poignant comments ie horse riding! My only negative comment would be that for a beginner (which I am not) it is all a bit daunting ....
One person found this helpful
on 19 October 2013
As a newbie to watercolours, this was an ideal introduction to the art of Loose watercolours. I think it's a little gem with plenty of information to get you started, a talented artist!
on 18 October 2013
I have just bought this kindle book as I really want to learn how to do 'loose' painting. It makes good reading, with easy to follow instructions - and does not 'bombard' you with too much information. I hope when I get my brushes out it will be as easy as you make it sound Roy - and I will soon be posting paintings on your fantastic PMP site!! Dee Saunders
2 people found this helpful