Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 1 December 2013
Like Rosen Trevithick's first anthology, Seesaw, this is a collection of novellas, short stories and flash fiction. I read some of the stories elsewhere as they are available as standalone books and in the KUForum anthology Off the Kuf volume 1, however this set of stories goes well with the author's ups and downs of her writing and her life.

The stand out piece for me is 'My Granny Writes Erotica'. This is a wonderfully funny story of a granny needing to raise money and deciding her book can be published on kindle.

The first story 'A Stormy Afternoon in Falmouth Harbour' is edge of your seat stuff and makes you not want to put the book down.

The flash fiction pieces work well as they kind of follow on from each other and when you get to the next one you have to read it.

I'm not really a fan of Trolls, but this was readable in that you get the human version of the story in 'The Other Father' which is quite a powerful piece, then the Troll version which was interesting in a writing way to me rather than a troll story way.

Even if you've read one or two of the pieces of this anthology elsewhere, you get a lot of story for your money in this anthology.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 September 2015
Seesaw volume 2 is a fantastic collection of stories that will take you through every emotion possible. The book is made up of two longer stories (The Ice Marathon and My Granny Writes Erotica) and a selection of shorter pieces, perfect for when you have a few minutes to relax on an otherwise busy day.

I had already read and loved "Granny", so I was keen to experience other works by this author. I am very impressed, Rosen Trevithick has a great range with her writing, able to write an intense story about mental illness, followed by a silly story for children, and a laugh out loud adult comedy. I liked the way that the book was loosely linked together by short stories about one character in various stages of her life. I enjoyed each story in the collection and will continue to read more by this author. A great collection for anyone who likes variety.
on 27 October 2013
Whether or not you've read the previous volume of Seesaw, or have even heard of Rosen Trevithick, this book is a must if you appreciate quality writing.

I have already read and reviewed the two novellas - The Ice Marathon and My Granny Writes Erotica - which each represent the psychological drama and bawdy comedy that Rosen writes so well. But it's the other stories exclusive to Seesaw II which demonstrate her versatility in capturing a full spectrum of emotions.

A Stormy Afternoon in Falmouth Harbour is enough to make a hydrophobe of anyone. As someone with a lifelong fear of drowning, I read this in a state of anxiety, so well-drawn and gripping was the story.

The Other Father is a double-barrelled story, telling a tale of estranged fathers from two very different angles: one for adults, that touches of very current modern fears, and one for children, which includes the Smelly Trolls that have proven so popular with kids of all ages (and never-grown-ups!).

The five short episodes from one character's life that start with All Grown Up are beautifully crafted jewels, easily good enough be published all together as one excellent story. Each one captures a different time of life perfectly, with many laugh-out-loud observations that everyone will find sympathy with.

Finally, What Crazy Looks Like is heartfelt, humbling, courageous genius. After reading this, you'll think twice about laughing at 'mad' people ever again.

If you're someone who has preconceived notions that indie authors are anything less than professional or high quality, this excellent book will blow them out of the water. Rosen Trevithick shows us all how it's done.
on 23 October 2013
I recently read the first volume of Rosen Trevithick's collection of short stories and immediately started reading the latest collection. I wasn't dissapointed that I did, I enjoyed the first collection and while the format is very much the same the quality is higher than the previous book (which was a damn fine read in its own right).

The format follows a similar pattern to the first collection, there is a vareity of stories that predominantly feature relationships and mental health issues. On the face of it that might sound mundane, but the author's talent is to bring clarity and even some humour to these situations. They also do a great job of providing understanding of some of the mindset that people suffer, a good example of this was the text message story from a woman with OCD.

Two stories in particular stood out for me. The first was 'My Granny Writes Erotica', I'd read this as a standalone previously and it was just as funny reading through it again. This was comedy gold. The other was the opening story 'A Stormy Afternoon in Falmouth Harbour' which is a short drame that had my heart in my mouth for the duration.

The author's writing has developed since the first collection and this is readily apparent when reading, there is a greater level of polish here, but not so much that it loses the immediacy of the story. Overall this is an excellent collection of stories, well worth reading.
on 18 November 2015
Fabulous collection of novels, novellas and short stories from Rosen that will have you laughing out loud one minute, to crying the next. The best ones for me in this collection were The Ice Marathon and My Granny Writes Erotica. Well worth reading!
on 21 November 2014
Stuck in that 'rip current' of not sure what to read? Well, look no further, stick Rosen's Seesaw Volume II on your tablet and you've got something for all the family. Laughter, belly aching laughter, humour, sadness and a whole other raft of emotions, I can't begin to describe as eloquently as Rosen writes it. But just do be a little careful as who gets to read the 'naughty' bit. ;-) You'll love it all, I did.
on 1 April 2014
Well worth anyone's time and the small amount being asked.
From actual laugh out loud funny to heart breaking sad.
It may sometimes lack polish but this is written with feeling.
I've read a lot worse from "famous" authors.
(I didn't like the children's story, but that's just me).