on 28 November 2014
Setting up was a doddle as is transferring data up to and from. So why only 3 stars? The reason is temperamental access via wifi for tablets and smart phones quite often and even across wired connection sometimes PCs and iMac can't connect. Only solution reboot the drive. Have checked all settings, but it's beyond me to resolve. I am going to but another NAS drive soon, but I think that it won't be a synology.
on 10 January 2014
A quality NAS from a decent maker with an excellent operating system. Excellent value for money; Just install two 4TB drives and you have access to 8TB storage inside 30 minutes. Runs all the Synology apps and uses very little power. Stable and quiet; easy to set up.
on 11 May 2014
I purchased this NAS after a single-drive WD MyBook failure and I regret not having bought one earlier.

Config for the DS214se is with two WD Red 2TB drives. I purchased the NAS and drives separately as this was cheaper. Installation was very simple, and the system was up an running within the hour from opening boxes.

Where this unit has surpassed all expectation is with its software and OS. The NAS runs a fully fledged OS that you communicate with through a web browser. The interface is a dream. You down load 'apps' to the NAS for additional functionality.

The most staggering achievement though was in recovering from my failed WD MyBook HDD. The embedded controller in the WD NAS failed leaving the HDD intact. The WD NAS drive was formatted with the Linux ext3 file system which cannot be read in Win7 without additional software (such as excellent Ext2 volume manager), however I plugged the old WD HDD into the USB port on the DS214se NAS via a StarTech USB to SATA/IDE converter (USB3SSATAIDE)... and the DS214se mounted the drive and I retrieved all the data from it over night. To put that into perspective the DS214se was able to interface seamlessly through a third party external HDD interface with no effort on my part. Such is the quality of the Synology OS. This functionality is worth every penny and I'd rate the unit six stars if possible.
on 1 May 2015
I bought a Synology DS214se with 2 x "WD Red 2TB for NAS 3.5-inch Desktop Hard Drive - OEM".
Easy to set-up, configured as mirrored so if 1 disk breaks all my documents, music, photos and videos are safe.
It sits quietly and smartly in the corner of the lounge next to the router, the fan virtually silent.
I use our Samsung smart TV to browse photos and videos, and the NAS is extremely fast at startup and supplying thumbnails.
I have a Denon CEOL N9 which uses the Synology NAS as a music server straight out of the box.
Simple to use, a great range of Apps, clever "Quickconnect" remote access, and excellent software update process.
This is a fantastic product which I feel will be invaluable for many years.
on 20 December 2014
The diskstation itself works pretty fine. It does what it is supposed to do, but... And this is quite a big but (or many buts)... 1. It loses connections from time to time 2. Copying data from explorer is a pain, loads of errors, do not copy everything (I find using web browser much more convenient), funny thing that there are problems when I am using windows 8 (seven is fine). 3. Setting it up was a nightmare! No operating manual, installing all the programs on it, loads of problems to make it work... At the beginning I felt like sending it back. Now it works almost without issues, but surely for that kind of money, it should be one-click to work! It should work like good old dropbox, which still is the best cloud/storage space.
on 20 January 2015
I don’t usually take the time to leave product reviews but I really love this NAS. I moved from using Buffalo and D-Link to Synology and haven’t looked back!

Setup is straight forward for anyone with a little experience in installing HDDs and networking.
I inserted 2 x WD Red 2TB disks in this unit, powered it on, navigated to the URL shown on the quick start guide and followed the instructions on the web interface – simple! I now have a 2TB RAID 1 (mirror) NAS :)

The web interface blows away all the other competition! There are a range of free apps available that can be installed with one click through the web interface, apps for built-in antivirus, VPN server, Asterisk server, media server etc.
on 28 December 2014
We bought this drive to provide a safe repository for important documents on our home network. For your money you get much more than that. Once I'd found my way around it I was able to set up easily accessible network drives for each of us. It can also be set up to hold music and video libraries, accessible from anywhere in the house. It can also host web sites and email services. In all a well made versatile piece of kit.
on 4 December 2015
I have a high end model of Synology NAS at work where it performs excellently. This is surprisingly good for such a low-end version. You do need to turn off and dissemble to fit drives. But that is no criticsm.

The Synology software works really well, I was up and running in no time, with my files now all available to me on my mobile and tablet wherever I am in the world!
on 5 November 2014
This is the second DS214se I have purchased, as a photographer I need a reliable back strategy and these units have performed faultlessly for both my PC and Apple . They are quiet and while interface is quite comprehensive I personally prefer the option of using an SSH session for a number of the tasks. When I need more storage again I will go for another.
on 10 March 2015
The hard disk(s) were simplicity itself to fit & seem very quiet in use. The user interface is okay, but I find I frequently have to run the Assistant to find the device & even then sometimes it simply fails. This might be the PC as the other computer does not suffer the same. Backups work well - I think! Downloading from the device to a PC seems varied - single files are fine, but when selecting multiple files, it zips them & the zip almost always has an error. It would be a major headache to recover a large amount of files! Powering down can be done remotely, but there is no power up function, nor it seems timed power up/backup/power down, or at least it is not obvious. There is an awful lot of functionality bundled with it, of which about 10% seems useful. It's a shame there is no 'quick setup' option, after all I am sure most people just want a convenient reliable backup for their data, photos & movies & aren't really interested in the more complex stuff.