on 29 November 2013
Firstly, this work deserves a much higher price tag! I am a big fan of fantasy novels, my absolute favorite of course being the Lord of The Rings. Tolkien had the ability to draw you in, to describe worlds and characters in such as way as to may them truly come to life. So it's fair to say I'm a fussy customer!

I needn't have worried. The writer is a true wordsmith and from the first chapter of book one I was hooked. The scene setting has been done with such skill that you will truly believe you have visited the fictional lands in the books and the depth of character development is second to none.

These three books are most definitely worthy of your time and money.

A true star in the making.

Thank you!
on 28 July 2014
An epic story that holds the interest from page to page. Characters from fairies to giants and every possible thing between woven into the good versus evil with a Mathias twist that makes the next page a must read. Yes I rate it.
on 13 May 2016
For fans of Sword and Sorcery this is a must read. The story centres on the brothers Hayden and Gerald who collect hawkling eggs to sell at the summer fair. In one of the nests Gerald discovers a magic ring. As we all know, the fates of worlds rest upon the possession and use of an enchanted ring. What happens next becomes an epic story of delightfully long and involved magic and mayhem. The fates of kings and kingdoms, battles with demons, a cast of giants elves fairies dragons and monsters, and of course wizards and sorceresses. Lovely!

While I found this a good story the balance seemed to be slightly wrong the length of descriptions of battles and blow by gory blow accounts overdone. The getting to know the characters sketchy. The only memorable characters Loudin and the despicable Oarly. Where is the stoicism of Frodo, the cheeriness of Sam Gamgee or the dark mystery of Aragorn. Yes, I compared it to "The Lord of the Rings" its not there yet but I have hopes for the future. I spotted two mistakes in the text, viscous instead of vicious and shined instead of shone. This is extraordinarily good for an indie book, particularly one of this length and I only mention it for completeness.
on 28 February 2014
This was a thick series but it's got everything.

Swords and Sorcery, Damsels in distress, Good vs Evil, Elves, Giants and Dwarfs.

The Author has drawn on many sources of inspiration and delivered a future classic
on 1 October 2014
These books present a very engaging story which moves along at a good pace. The multiple strands are handled well and the complexity adds to the enjoyment. There are some negatives, however. The writing is serviceable but not great and the material is somewhat derivative but for me the main downside is that the author does not seem to know any real women and his female characters, such as there are, are merely different portrayals of sexiness. They have no life of their own. I haven't experienced such old-fashioned views of women in decades and it detracted from the reading experience. I kept being distracted by wondering what the author was like and why he was spoiling his books with his idiotic and insulting chauvinism.
on 27 February 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy, it has everything. Magics,demons, heroes,dragons etcetera etcetera. A page turner and a rollicking adventure story.
Thank you M R Mathias the most well written book I've read in years.
on 10 April 2015
every now and again you come across a set of books that grab you by the collar and just shake you about all over the place. The Wardstone trilogy does exactly that and then some. M.R. Mathias has written a proper block buster of epic proportions. I couldn't put these books down, they were and are fantastic reads. I'm not going to give away any of the story, but having read several dozens of fantasy adventures over the last few years these books are in my top 5 reads. You will not be disappointed with your purchase.
on 16 May 2016
Good book, fun characters and relationships. My only issue was the end of each book seemed rushed, it almost felt like the story coukd gave developed further with mybe an additional book. All in all a good read
on 28 July 2014
I really really wanted to like this series but I'm afraid that despite other reviews I have found it to be a rather poor effort. There is no depth to the writing, and I find myself not caring about the characters or what happens to them. The writing is very simplistic, as if the author did not believe the reader would understand big words (is it aimed at a younger audience??). George Martin need not worry. For excellent fantasy try Anthony Ryan's Raven;s Shadow series - brilliant!
on 22 February 2015
Really enjoyed...nice part about it was having all the books at once really annoying with some authors start off with really cheap first novel and it's as if they decide to stop at the end of a chapter and then u need to buy the rest of the books at a much higher price. Would recommend these books.