Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.36

on 9 January 2014
I doubt that many people find tax books revolutionary or inspiring, and I won't sit here and say that this book changed my life, but it certainly made a relatively boring, yet essential, part of life a heck of a lot easier to handle. All of the different examples and stories that Lee Hadnum uses weren't all relevant to my situation (obviously), but I think he covered a huge base of potential situations in a clear way. I think this book could help plenty of people that are looking to buy property in the UK, as I have already done. I read this book too late to help me in my past purchases, but I am very glad that I have this knowledge now, since I am considering buying more property outside London in the future. This book won't be perfect for everyone, but it will certainly help those people who want to save some money and hassle when buying to let or to live. His experience as a financial adviser are clear; he knows the tips and tricks that it would have been nice to know in the past, and will definitely be nice to know about in the future. I won't say it was "interesting" per se, but it is pretty darn close to essential if you're serious about buying property in the UK.
on 4 December 2014
Bought this book, but wish i'd bought another. Whilst I'm sure the information is there (my reason for 3 stars) it's just not user friendly from my perspective as a complete newbie to tax issues. Firstly it seems more like a brochure than a book so for 20 quid it's priced over the odds. It seems to use examples to exclusively explain things. Rather than explain them and then use a number of examples. So if you can't get your head round the example your in trouble. Hate to be further critical but i had the impression that it hadn't been proof read as there were typos and tables that did not flow correctly which is just a basic expectation of a book.
on 8 January 2014
I've been back and forth between London and the US for years, so it was only natural that I would eventually consider buying property in England. However, it always seemed like such a hassle; the paperwork alone seemed monumental. When I explained my desire to buy some property, most likely to rent out for a decent percentage of the time, they showed some interest. Hence began the quest to figure out just what exactly I was supposed to know about a completely new housing market and tax structure.

This book was an invaluable resource to me basically because it didn't take any knowledge for granted. From start to finish, it was clear, concise, relevant, and not even horribly dry like some tax books can be. There were so many secrets and small details that I was simply not aware of in the UK tax system, and I am sure that my friends were similarly in the dark. Reading this book undoubtedly will save me thousands of pounds if I pay attention to the details that Lee Hadnum included in this easy-to-read book. Obviously, this isn't the book you curl up at the fire with, but if you are serious about finding your way around a complex and (at times) nonsensical tax system, this book is perfect for you. It certainly did the job for me. Expats and globalization are two facts of modern life; eventually that leads to spreading wealth and real estate. Books like these are essential.
on 25 June 2014
I've read a few tax books, and whilst they're not as a rule "enjoyable" they are useful in finding out new tips and tricks to reduce the amount of tax I'm paying. This book definitely hit the mark here. There were a lot of topics covered and more importantly a lot of opportunities to reduce taxes rather than just explaining how the tax is calculated. Well worth a read if you have any BTL properties.
on 13 January 2014
Personally, I need something concise, but considering the subject matter, it can't always be. This book covers everything from reducing income tax on rental income, how a lease premium is taxed, reviews overseas mortgages, and much more. The break-downs and definitions are cleanly laid out, something I need, as I can easily get overwhelmed. If you are a little fuzzy about this kind of stuff and need things bulleted-out neatly, this book is for you.
on 24 May 2014
I bought this primarily as I was interested in reducing income tax on rental income from my 3 rented properties (as I'm a 40 percent taxpayer).

I was very pleased with this. It gave me an excellent summary of exactly what I can and can't claim and the section on financing costs in particular was very good. It's provided a number of avenues for me to enhance my deductible expenses. I can recommend this book for this reason alone.
on 13 January 2014
I HATE TAXES!!!

I hate them so much, that I will do anything that I can to pay as little as I can. As legally as possible, of course (phew, dodged that bullet...)

So it should come as no surprise that I would check this book out. Except for the fact that this was written for Britiish tax law, and that I live in Ohio... Well, that's what I thought when someone recommended this book to me. How is this relevant to me, all the way across the pond? (sorry)

While the laws in the US and the UK are surely different, it does help to give ideas on what I would be able to do. Plus, it gives the added bonus of preparing you, if you decide that you would like to venture into the property investment business in the UK in the future.

What is great about this book is that it is very easy to read. Lee Hadnum uses specific examples to explain the many different topics covered. The examples used are very clear in explaining everything, from reducing income tax on rental income, to maximizing tax relief on interest.

A must read for anyone that is planning to invest in property in the UK.
on 8 January 2014
Now, I bet you're wondering why an American who lives in California would obtain a copy of a UK tax guide. Short answer: research. As someone who is familiar with US laws on buying property to rent, I found "Buy to Let Tax Planning" a productive guide to rental income in the UK (for residents and nonresidents alike). Covering a range of topics from reducing taxes to dealing with losses to reducing liability, this guide provides you with the necessary language and enough information to help you determine if property to let is an option for you, as well as point you in the right direction for more information. This guide is well put together. The examples given are easy to understand and enhance the topics covered. What I would have liked to see is an acronym/abbreviation list and perhaps a glossary of key terms. I think both would be beneficial to the novice buyer or someone thinking about property purchase and looking for an overview, but unsure about the language.
on 25 June 2014
Lots of useful advice for the various ways to own your BTL with their tax implications. Still best to use an accountant but you will be able to pick his brains better after reading this.
on 26 June 2014
This is a great tax book. Very educational, easy to read and with great amount of useful information. Recommended.