on 22 July 2014
Excellent.
on 5 November 2013
Ok it seems the band have listened to my comments or something about using new timbres in their music and using new ideas because the last couple albums did just sort of sound very similar in overall timbre and style and a bit predictable this album however they have done away with the overly symphonic and replaced it with something mysterious inventive and adventurous like old times the whole album is actually one song as I understand it. While it is unmistakeably the flower kings they have gone out on a limb to juice it up, te guitars sound more raw the keyboards sound more ugly and the drums are more aggressive and the bass is less widdly and more basic the vocals are performed as always with great theater and the whole album is just brilliant. I can't wait to hear what else they come up with for the next album until then this new album will sit happil with the rest of their Exemplary discography
2 people found this helpful
on 16 January 2014
I came across this band quite by chance having heard a single track on a compilation album. I am an old git who was lucky enough to see Floyd, Genesis, Zappa etc in their prime, so, given the references, I just had to investigate further. Musically it more than lives up to the hype and the reviews on here bear testament to just how good the musical composition and playing is. I am looking forward to seeing them play live at some stage and will now investigate the back catalogue, of which it would seem there is a lot to look forward to. :) My only reservation is the lyrical style which borders on Spinal Tap parody. There are several LOL moments. If they had a more contemporary lyric style I would give it the five stars it just misses out on. I actually prefer disc two, which puts me out of alignment with many the other voices here, as there is less lyrical twaddle to distract me. Come on guys, 1974 has gone, (how long ago????) Sing about something real. But I hold my hands up, you guys can certainly play! Love it!
2 people found this helpful
on 24 November 2013
The Kings of Scandinavian prog are back with one of their best albums ever. The playing as ever is immaculate and Roine Stolt's production faultless.

One question, why now MP3 download for free??
on 31 October 2013
Gotta admit my patience with the Flower Kings had been wearing a bit thin. I own all their studio releases and whilst a huge fan of their earlier albums, their recent output ( especially The sum of no evil and last years comeback Banks of eden)has left me cold with their formulaic approach to symphonic prog. Inspiration has i feel been running low not helped I expect by the amount of side projects such as Transatlantic and Agents of Mercy that were pulling on mainman Roine Stolte`s ideas.
Having lived with Desolation Rose for a few days I am very pleased and pleasantly surprised to find the band back on great form. What works with this album is that the tracks are in the main shorter and therefore more focussed enabling the whole album to carry a energy and variation missing from the last few releases. At this point i should also point out that essentially all the tracks sequence into each other, making up for the lack of epic compositions. Listening to the whole album as one long piece of music is the best way to appreciate it. I believe this is the best The Flower kings have sounded since the days of Space revolver, Unfold the future and The Rainmaker.
Potential purchasers should head for the versions with the extra disc, it`s available at almost the same price as the one disc and there`s definately more than enough interesting additional music to justify any small extra outlay.
In summary a much better release from The Flower kings and whilst not quite up there with their best it is a hugely enjoyable album that will stand up to regular repeated plays and is definately one of the best Symphonic prog releases of the year.
21 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 18 April 2014
only really knew of them bedause of transatlantic but this is a great record from a great band making great music
on 10 May 2014
This is the first Flowerkings album in more than 10 years that almost sounds like something worth listening to. It is far from good, but they're on the right track. (I hope)
For me all albums up to and including Rainmaker were brilliant... Classic prog rock at its best. Then the band started working on all kinds of side projects and I can only guess that their inspiration was spread so thin that they finally burned out. It also became visible within the side projects themselves after a few albums... Karmakanic made 3 great albums. Transatlantic made one great (the first). Thomas Bodin has made a number of great solo albums but the last in his trilogy series was although not bad not what I would have expected. I sounded more like a rock record than a prog rock keyboard palyers solo album,
As mentioned above, The Flowerkings music as been inspirationless, empty and lets face it,... Totaly boring... Compare the last ten years with the fantastics tracks on Space Revolver, Flower Power, Stardust, Metropolis,.... Most tracks were real gems full of substance and inspiration. Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for all band members... Fantastic musicians... But we all can run out of ideas... Hopefully this album sounds in a new era and get them back on track to things like the earlier albums. Good luck guys..
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 24 November 2013
I'm afraid I would have difficulty in giving anything that Roine Stolt has done less than a 5 star rating as I haven't found anyone who comes close to his musical creativity and prowess in the world of prog rock or rock in general for that matter. The Flower Kings new offering of Desolation Rose follows on neatly in sound and recording from their previous release Banks of Eden-whether it reaches the heights of The Sum of No Evil, which to me is their seminal work, is debateable (the reviewer before who referred to "the Sum" period as being formulaic is so mistaken- Mozart spent his life working under the strict constraints of the concerto, symphony etc. but this didn't stop him producing some of the best music in the world!)

There is a lot to unravel in this new album and it takes you on a musical journey which is typical of an offering by the Flower kings. Although there are a lot of highs I feel that the first track "Tower One" is the strongest composition and would please any devotee of great progressive rock. The general mood of the album is perhaps more serious than some, though the Flower kings
always manage to somehow keep an uplifting and sunny disposition in a way that bands such as IQ don't.

In conclusion this is a fine album with lots of good music to explore- following on from an incredibly strong back catalogue- time and lots of repeated listening only will tell how it compares to their previous work.
3 people found this helpful
on 29 October 2013
The Flower Kings are back with their follow up to 'Banks Of Eden' with a much heavier, proggier and extremely catchy bunch of songs on the album "Desolation Rose". Back at the start of 2013, Roine Stolt, Jonas Reingold, Tomas Bodin, Hasse Froberg and Felix Lehrmann went to the studio with a lot of semi-finished material and decided to jam & record what they had and pretty much make up the rest. The result is what I feel is their best offering in the last 10 years. Great performances, especially by Felix Lehrmann (Drums)the very talented Jonas Reingold (Bass) and Tomas Bodin (Keys. Add to this the vocal power of Hasse Froberg and the multi-talented, multi-instrumentalist Roine Stolt (Allround genius!),it's nice to hear such great Production but using 1970's style recording tecniques (Tape) and vintage instruments. I can't underestimate how talented these guys are and I, for one, am looking forward to the European tour next April/May.
6 people found this helpful
on 19 June 2014
After the semi-disappointing Banks Of Eden (which had great tracks & great production but was a lot safer and less progressive than usual), it feels like Flower Kings are back to where they should be.
Including the CD version is a great bonus, although the vinyl still sounds quite a bit more dynamic (compare here: [...]) so I recorded my own tracks off the record.

I have to also give a big thumbs up to the packaging - this album cover truly is a work of art. When you see all the artwork's detail in the big vinyl format, it makes it worthwhile for the beauty alone.