Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 29 December 2013
Friar Alessandro is an unusual star. He's a monk, for starters. He is also a man who radiates the joy and love of God, quite shy, but a very gifted singer. He not only has a beautiful strong voice, but his singing has a quality of peace, healing, restoration, which comes through even if he sings in a language you don't understand, as I've found with the songs in Italian and Latin. His singing is not just a talent, it's a vocation. I hope we'll hear a lot more from him in years to come.I highly recommend this album,as well as his previous one.
I first became acquainted with the music of Friar Alessandro when I vistied the Royal Albert Hall for the Big Sing. I assumed at the time his monks attire was a stage prop (although I knew he was a monk). I was pleasantly surpised to discover that not only had he recenlty brought out two albums as a new discovery by Warner, but that he has a truly beautiful voice off the stage. All his profits go to a Fransiscan charity.

I love his version of Adeste Fidelis (O come All Ye Fidelis) and Joy to the World (in Italian) in a jovial operatic rendering which would do Pavarotti proud. Friar Alessandro's version of 'Ave Maria' is stunning. Amongst the best I have ever heard. He makes the versions by Leona Lewis, Richard & Adam and Jonathan & Charlotte sound distinctly amateurish in comparison. This guy is a serious singer!

It doesn't have to be Christmas - I urge you to sample this or download it yourself if you are a fan of seriously *good* singing without being pompous or self-important. Hios frist album 'Voice from Assissi' is very good, too.

Recommended.
on 16 January 2014
I was looking forward to receiving this CD after reading lots of reviews but when I listened to it for the first time I was not sure if I totally liked it. I believe Friar Alessandro has an untrained voice which you can detect in his singing, and although he has a wonderful rich quality to it, I think it's one of those voices you either like or don't like. I would have to listen to it a few more time to see if grows on me but at the moment I'm not rushing to put it on again.
on 22 November 2013
I am very happy I have bought this cd. I have his first as well, and will no doubt buy his third. I felt so much better after listening to Voice Of Joy. Had been feeling a bit down and sorry for myself, but this certainly lifted my spirits. A good choice of music, although I would have liked to have had a more adventurous selection. It tends to be the usual popular pieces. Maybe next time.
on 10 February 2014
I enjoyed this latest CD by Friar Alessandro and it introduced new material in a refreshing way - however, I don't feel it had the depth of soul that his first one did. It seemed more of a commercial venture.
on 12 November 2013
What a lovely first album to add to any collection of beautiful voice. I hope more cds will be recorded .
on 16 January 2015
Enjoyed the selection of songs & remembering Tu Scendi della Stella, as a child, while a member of our Italian parish in Hazleton PA.
Enjoy Alessandro no matter what he sings. Just the joy that is his alone enlightens my heart & soul. Such joy!!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2013
I have been playing this CD over Christmas and cannot fault the music or the wonderful voice. So calming and uplifting.Everyone busy person should buy a copy and just chill out with it .
on 4 December 2013
I found it excellent,I liked it so much that I bought another copy of it to give to a friend as a present, and she also thinks it most uplifting.
on 20 December 2013
Friar Alessandro has a wonderful voice and I liked every single track on this album. I have the previous CD and I think this one is even better.