on 21 January 2014
An original idea for a thriller, set during an interesting period of English 19th century history. I enjoyed the story very much and then ending was not what I expected. My only gripe is the authors overuse of 'that' when it should have been 'who' and 'lay' when it should have been 'lie'. There are spelling mistakes or mis-prints but that is common on Kindle.
I look forward to the next episode; not too long to wait I hope.
on 1 November 2014
I really enjoyed this book and would recommend to anyone who enjoys a good mystery.It is very well written and keeps you wanting to read more.Good twist and turns in the storyline. Will be looking for more by this author.
on 26 May 2017
Well constructed plot, interesting characters and historical facts. Could be the beginning of a good series.
on 2 February 2014
I really enjoyed this book, set in 1817 following the wars with Napoleon.
Thomas Blackdown is an ex-soldier banished from his home 23 years before aged 13. Receiving a letter
from his brother asking for help , posted 2 years ago, Thomas reluctantly returns home to the family estate
in Somerset.

There he discovers his father is disgraced and his brother was brutally murdered and mutilated, presumably
shortly after sending the letter to Thomas. The locals believe the mythical Blackdown Beast was responsible
for killing his brother and livestock and are full of suspicious fear about a local wood.

Thomas scoffs at this fear and vows to avenge his brother's death. This leads him into danger and conflict
with a group of rich and powerful men. He doesn't know who to trust for help.

The book was well written (although there were typos, it didn't spoil the story) and the tale rattled along
at a good pace. There was a Traveling Show; pistol and fist fights; kidnappings; a grieving fiancee and
cock fights. There was no sex or bad language.

There were 3 or 4 really good twists towards the end of the book, which I hadn't seen coming.
I would recommend this book to anyone who likes historical thriller novels, and I would like to read
more by this author from the same period.
on 15 February 2017
When disgraced ex-soldier Thomas Blackdown receives a letter from his brother, he reluctantly returns home. There he discovers that his brother was brutally murdered after sending the letter. Bent on revenge, he discards the claims that the perpetrator was the mythical Blackdown beast. Instead, he unravels an entirely different and more human mystery.

D.M Mitchell delivers a book that is beautifully paced and that trots out many surprises. The character that I found most engaging was Julianne. She feels the most authentic and probably reacts the most naturally in the circumstances. Mitchell writes his characters with empathy but also lifts the lid on their flaws. He takes you on a journey where you think you’ve reached the end of the story only to be hurtled swiftly into another reveal. The one character I didn’t fully warm to was Blackdown himself. There wasn’t any reason for it, as I fully understood his motivation. I just couldn’t seem to warm to him.

This is an excellent thriller with great characterisation and a taut plot that I would have no hesitation in recommending to those of you who like historical mystery.

I’m going to give it 4.5 rather than 5 – and that’s only because I didn’t like the eponymous Blackdown very much.
on 3 September 2014
I read the synopsis and thought this sounded interesting, although I hadn't heard or read anything else by the author. I found it a bit dubious at the beginning, but as I pursued with it, I found it hard to put down. The story has several plots, and sub-plots, lots of twists and turns, keeping you on edge. Yes the ending did become predictable towards the end, but overall it was well written, good storyline, and I think would make a good TV drama, well worth a read.
on 9 February 2014
I would have awarded this book 5 stars had it been perfectly edited. There are not many typos, but there are too many for 5 stars.

That said, this was a thrilling book. The main character of Thomas Blackdown is superbly drawn. He doesn't think of himself as a hero, but he will willingly throw himself into dangerous situations and behave heroically without a second thought.

Lured back to his home, he arrives to find his brother is dead, the big house going to rack and ruin, and his father as truculent and unforgiving as ever. Determined to find out who killed his brother, Blackdown starts an investigation that uncovers much more than he ever expected. His discoveries lead him into deep water, threats on his life, and the destruction of all he holds dear. He is not easily deterred however, hence the thrilling action that packs this book.

There are surprises round every corner and hardly anyone is who he seems. This book will keep you guessing, and enthralled.

Definitely recommended.
on 5 June 2014
I don't usually read Authors that haven't been recommended to me, but thought I'd give this book a try, GLAD I DID! This was a very good read, the story was excellent with characters that were intriguing, and I just wanted to keep reading to see what happened next. The author has a good way of wanting to keep you guessing, and knowing what was going to happen in the next few pages which to me is what I want from a book. Took me only a few hours to read, and thoroughly enjoyed every page. I will now be obtaining more books from this Author and hoping he does the same with those books as well.
on 5 February 2014
I chose this book as it was free and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was easy to read, I really liked Blackdown's character and the insight into Regency village life. The story swept me up, lulling me into a false sense of calm before hitting me with the full force of some really grisly scenes. I did guess the twist but this in no way detracted from my enjoyment - really well written, unusual story - can't wait to read more of the intrepid Blackdown's adventures. Thank you for such a good read.
on 29 June 2015
This is the second book which I have read by this author. I love reading stories from the past. I particularly like the main character Thomas Blackdown, who in many ways reminds me of Bernard Cornwall's Richard Sharp and the Napoleonic wars, but this is where the similarity ends. This book had many twists and turns along the way, with a cracking ending. The ending also leaves the potential for more books involving the main character. This book is well worth considering!