on 30 July 2014
Its okay for the price I paid . Took a while to get it performing as it should. FIRST uninstall all the extra rubbish except Mcafee. SECOND go to Microsoft for the free upgrade to 8.1. Then uninstall Mcafee (Theres lots of different Mcafees depending which Asian Factory uses what) & use Windows Defender (more than adequate on 8.1). The biggest software problem was the Lenovo Solution Center which was run by a Spanish Co. (Most of the preinstalled software was incompatible anyway). Only when I used Secunia PSI did I get Windows up to date. Only after CCleaner install..clean inc registry & wipe blank space did the computer start behaving. Like most modern laptops it will heat, burn,screech etc..I uninstalled Veriface. Disabled bluetooth. Put it in Airplane mode. I don't use wireless. Its a shame that its only calm when NOT signed into a Microsoft Account. But there you go thats modern laptops..cloud computing & 2014 networks for you.

All this took a couple of Restore to Factory Settings.. But if you are prepared to go through all this & want a nice cheap computer then by all means Go For It. I really hope this helps people . Currently £1400 of Mac is thrown in the cupboard in favour of the Lenovo..but we will see...((ps if you want perfection it could really do with some extra memory))
on 26 April 2014
I bought this for my 9 year old daughter, to use for homework and skype her friends and play minecraft on. So I wanted a bargain laptop that performs quite well.

Yes the lid is plastic and flimsy but the G500 is also reasonably light. Which means we will be taking this with us on holiday this year instead of having to drag my Alienware M17 as we did last year. It weights nearly three time as much as the G500.

The keyboard layout is good and Windows 8 is ok when you get used to it. The screen has good vibrant color for high res pics, 3D and HD movies. Ok you cannot see squat, if not reasonably square on to the screen but is was £300.

The Lenovo (with the I3 processor) has bags more performance than the Dell my Farther in law got himself three months ago and the G500 was much less expensive. Running identical programs the the difference in speed is surprising.

I am sure I could pick fault with the G500, however for the price it is a very good all rounder and we are very pleased with the purchase, unlike my farther in law who is now very disappointing with the laptop he brought.
on 21 January 2016
excellent purchase. my old laptop died and this one was recommended by a friend of mine who knows about laptops, as I didn't have a clue. after a couple of years it is still going strong. I always regularly update and use anti viruses and spybots and had to update with intel recently because of the dreaded windows 10! But it does what I need it to do. shopping, browsing, research, etc etc.
can be a bit slow at times, but to be expected when its this age, but I reckon I will have this till it dies, which I think will be a long way off.
works for me.
on 20 March 2014
This laptop is very quick to load up, a nice size screen, a lovely sheen on the screen and Windows 8.1 didn't take long to get used to even for me. My old laptops battery life used to last just over an hour...but I am really impressed with this one as it has lasted between four and five hours at a time.
The only thing I liked on my other laptop that I can't find on this was the games, solitaire etc which I used to enjoy.
All in all, I am very impressed for what I use it for..
on 11 April 2014
Very pleased with my lenovo laptop, runs well, very quiet and feels like a nice piece of kit. I feel like I've purchased a quality item.

Worth doing some research into the best processor you can get for what you want to spend. Use this to guide the laptop you buy.

This lenovo offered a better processor compared to others at a similar price.
4 people found this helpful
on 21 October 2014
An excellent laptop, sturdy construction and high quality product. My one gripe is the keyboard - the shift, enter and backspace keys are too small, and the keys in general are too sensitive so that I am constantly slightly touching adjacent keys which register and then I'm having to go over text and delete stuff. I thought I would just need to get used to it, but after using it for several months, I had to buy and external keyboard.
on 17 May 2014
This item came new, well packaged nothing to fault in that department. It was purchased as a cheap easy to use laptop for use on holiday to allow my son to keep up with his studies. I had had the laptop for about two weeks when it crashed. Item was returned to Amazon where the option of a full refund was given. Took that option.
on 15 June 2014
I had ordered this online through Amazon, and is overall a good budget laptop.

While most of the features work fine, the wifi keeps dropping. Further research indicated that the wifi adapter (Intel Celeron N135) is actually incompatible with Windows 8.1 (link below).

I had not received this information while ordering, and therefore a 2-star. Lenovo is a decent product otherwise, hope they replace the wifi adapter in future releases.

[...]
on 24 July 2014
Excellent build quality, keyboard is good once you get used to it. Only problem is the pre-installed programs but they're easy enough to clear. Speakers are a bit meh, but then again all laptop speaks are. Runs CounterStrike: Global Operations fine at 30fps on the very lowest settings (about 20fps at medium settings). I haven't encountered an issue with too many tabs being open on Chome.

Bought for £171 from Amazon Warehouse, very happy with it.

EDIT: The microphone is petty awful for skype. Forced to use external webcam.
on 25 April 2014
The computer itself was fine, but Windows 8.1 is not as good as Windows 7. When you are running a program, and you come out of it there is a tendency for the program to 'stick'. Often the only answer is to restart the PC, which is hardly ideal. Whether this is a problem with Windows or the applications is unknown. However as this does not occur as frequently in W-7, indicates an operating system problem. The computer itself is fast and smooth.