Format: Blu-ray|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 8 July 2016
UNWATCHABLE! I very literally SUFFERED through this film! AVOID AS PLAGUE! Below, more of my impressions, with some limited SPOILERS.

The year is 1955. The First World War didn't end in 1918 – it still rages on and is already unofficially known as Second Hundred Years War. Somewhere in Arctic three British soldiers man the "Outpost 11", listening to enemy communications. One day, a red warning light turns on, without any apparent reason… And then the film begins.

The general idea for this film was good, but the execution was HORRIBLE. It is impossibly boring, as very little happens and when something actually does happen, it doesn't make the slightest sense! Also, the director seems to have a morbid fascination with masturbation, which makes this film occasionally unpleasant to watch…

I had to fast forward a large part of the film because in many parts absolutely nothing happens, but even with the help of fast forwarding it was an excruciating ordeal. There is not even one good scene, one good line of dialog, one little moment of humour – this is in fact a great pile of ludicrous, pretentious, nonsensical NOTHING!

Except a mistake on my part the director (and also writer) never made a film before this one (only shorts) and also never made another one since – well, for the sake of public health and sanity praised be the Lord for that!

I regret that I bought this film, I hate myself for having watched it to the end (fast forwarding large parts) and the only satisfaction I had with this… thing, was when I threw it in the garbage. AVOID!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 November 2014
O.M.G.....What a pile of poo... The cover and disc packaging are way better than the product, which seems to be a clever marketing ploy employed by many `Low Budget` movies, cos lets face it, once you have been tricked into buying the thing you are stuck with it and they have your money. I cannot for the life of me understand how any sane human being can watch this heap of tosh and then actually go to the bother of writing a five star review. I begrudge the one star I have no choice but to give the thing. I can only hope that by contributing my little bit of discouragement I will save some poor unfortunate from being conned out of their cash. Even if this was being given away for free it would still be a con. Total Unadulterated codswallop.
on 28 September 2013
I was a bit unsure about watching this - soldiers in an isolated outpost, arctic spiders, madness and paranoia - it didn't really sound to be my cup of tea, but I really, really enjoyed it. The film held my attention all the way through; it was weirdly wonderful, and no, I didn't really 'get it', but that didn't really matter. It was extremely well acted and I thought the sets and make-up fantastic. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I would definitely recommend it. If you have any reservations, all I can say is - try it, you might like it!!
on 18 January 2014
A dreadful movie that struggles from the opening scene.
Boring, disjointed with a crap story line. Save your money and give it a miss!
It may appeal to the arty types but I have struggled to give it one star.
on 16 August 2013
Outpost 11 sets itself within a fictional war, and a group of three men based in a remote outpost are stranded from any reliable communication. What spins off from there is a tale of deceit, paranoia and the sort of science fiction that the UK doesn't really do anymore. It reminded somewhat of Quatermass, with a few touches of The Thing. Highly Recommended
on 4 January 2014
I am a massive film fan and have a collection of several thousand and I have to say that this is in the top 5 worst films that I have ever had the misfortune of first wasting my money buying, second wasting my time watching and thirdly adding to landfill after owning for less than a day.

This is badly acted, badly made with boom mikes showing in several scenes and worst of all not interesting or good in any way. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY you would be better off throwing your money away at least it would save you the pain of sitting through this absolute load of rubbish.
VINE VOICEon 5 December 2014
The concept is good, though not original; three people (soldiers in an alternate 1950s world with Britain at war with Prussia for a hundred years) stuck in a claustrophobic and lonely arctic hut. Then weird things happen and they end up splitting apart in paranoia etc.

I liked the art direction; the look and feel of the small set is quirky and smart; a representation of a '50s world with odd mixes of technology and antique. But that is it; the story is slow and rather dull, the acting poor. It strives to be tense and weird, with a remorseless building of psychosis. In reality, it is just rather tedious. I started looking at the clock on the DVD to see how much longer it would last, and it was a close-run thing as to whether I could be bothered to stay with it until the end. I did, but I sense that maybe an early night would have been a better choice.
on 29 June 2014
I loved the claustrophobia and paranoia in this film!

The premise is very simple: three soldiers are tasked with guarding an isolated outpost in anticipation of, what seems to be a World War. Amidst the loneliness of their surroundings, the endless wait for instructions and the mind-numbingly mundane daily tasks they have to perform, all three struggle to keep their sanity. Not all succeed.

There are steampunk elements in the timeline and the various contraptions around the outpost and the snowy location adds to the creepiness of the film. Looking around, one can easily imagine feeling like the only person left in the world.

The best part of the film, though, is the excellent performances by the actors. The descent into madness is clear and believable.

This is a wonderfully strange film and I recommend it to anyone in the mood for something different!
on 1 May 2014
Absolutely dreadful film.
It was interesting to note that the DVD extras have an interview with the writer who says he wanted to write a film that he would enjoy rather than try to please the masses. Well he succeeded.
From the first shot of an a army sergeant with a stupid comedy mustache to a complete lack of consistent plot line, this is best avoided.

Also anachronisms like having a video cassette in the plot when all the other props are World War period is baffling.
How this got funded is beyond me.
on 7 October 2013
I think what is important to remember with this film is it was made with a very low budget, and what Anthony woodley has done with that budget is good, I personally found the film slow to get going, but once you get into it you soon realize it's something a bit different to what is out there at the moment. Reminded me a lot of some of the early films that played on mind games, gets one thinking in your head and not blasting your eyes with CGI. I think we will see a lot more of Luke Healey and Joshua Mayes-Cooper, Billy Clarke's role in the film could have been written by "Hitchcock" You really wouldn't want to turn around in your front room and find him sat next to you!