Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.99

on 19 October 2013
Im really disappointed with this book. Book description:- 'sweet and savoury treats' but you'd be lucky if you can find six savoury treats and when you do they are very basic. Hot dogs and egg and tomato sandwich to name two of them. There's a recipe for orange salad, two ingredients but four pages of photos. And this book is nearly half full of photos of people who probably mean a lot to someone but not to me. I don't need to see everyone's friend or relative in a book of cake recipes. Looking through the index I saw 'baklava'. I thought that would be worth making at home. I like baklava. Turned to page 110 and there's no recipe, just a few sentences telling me I can buy some good baklava in Selfridge's. I already knew that because I was there last week. Unfortunately I'm not travelling the 300 miles back there just yet so it looks like my local supermarket will have to do for now. Or perhaps I'll just see if I can return this photo album back to Amazon and buy a recipe book instead.
on 12 November 2013
I pre-order it before the released day and was attracted by the pretty cake on its cover. Also, I have the previous two books from Primrose Bakery and they are nice. Thus, I trusted this one will be even better.
However, I was disappointed when receiving it. There are lots of photos in it but not in a "cooking book" way. For example, there are quite many cross pages of photos of people, party, garden..etc, which make no sense for a recipe book especially when there are far too many.
About the recipes in it, I'd say there are ok, but not much different from the previous two books.
on 5 November 2013
Struggled to find much that I really wanted to make. Bit lame to include recipes for sandwiches etc. thought this was going to be a book crammed full of delicious cakes etc to bake, as per the last 2 books but this one failed to deliver.
on 2 November 2013
This book was a huge disappointment. Bought it as had a family birthday coming up and thought there'd be some real "showstoppers" cakes wise. No such luck. As others have said lots of pretty pictures but no substance. I don't think I'll be making anything from it - the flavour combinations are too odd for me. A real shame as I really liked the 1st two "Primrose" books. I pre-ordered this book whilst there were no reviews - from now on I'll wait for reviews before ordering.
on 20 October 2013
Having been a huge fan of the previous 2 books I am really not impressed! I appreciate they have taken a new approach to this book and the pictures are beautiful (if irrelevant on many occasions) however I can find only 6 recipes that I would consider making!! Some of the flavours/ combinations are very odd, and I don't feel translate well into cakes...I would not consider a tequila flavoured cake a treat, more a punishment to be honest! Also buttered bread dipped in hundreds and thousands is not cooking, very bizarre!! The previous books are awesome however and I would encourage a first time primrose bakery buyer to buy those instead!
on 21 October 2013
This book is very disappointing and not what I expected from the description or following the previous lovely Primrose Bakery books. It is a good size book and from first glance at the cover I thought this book would be very good, unfortunately it doesn't follow through inside. The recipe for the cover cake which is very pretty with the decorations doesn't tell you how to make the flowers or where to get something similar, just gives a sponge cake recipe, it is lacking in so many areas. I expected some fantastic celebration cakes and treats, yet there are only a couple of things I thought I would have possibly tried, and certainly didn't need two pages to tell me how to make a club sandwich.
on 23 October 2015
This is for the Hardback version of this book only, Although I've never been lucky enough to actually sample any of the The Primrose Bakeriewares, but this was the next best thing! It's given me inspiration to not only try and replicate some of their cakes, but it also encourages the home baker to make their own tweaks. Plus some of the flavours of icings and ganaches are far more well thought out than anything I might have attempted on my own! Most, if not all of the recipes are achievable and again, most ingredients can be sourced locally. I'm actually looking aforward to the next Primrose Bakery cookbook called 'Everyday' and the sample I've looked on Kindle suggests to me that this should be on my Xmas list!! (Hint, hint!)
on 7 November 2013
I love this book, it's full of ideas and easy to use. Some essences are hard to find, but I found Uncle Roy's Comestible Concoctions and he makes them all, you can find him on the internet.
I'm giving this for Christmas presents, when my friends saw it, they couldn't put it down, so to get my copy back, I've bought them copies too - half price!
on 3 May 2015
Pretty poor. The first recipe I tried - for red velvet cupcakes - omitted a key step from the instructions. As this was the bit about adding the flour this was moderately peturbing. Better proofreading/recipe testing next time, I reckon.
on 8 December 2013
The book looks wonderful but after looking through it a few times I haven't picked it up since. Disappointing. The book looks wonderful but will use it rarely if at all.