Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 7 June 2017
This 2013 release, had been sitting in my Amazon saved-for-later basket for sometime before I bought it to qualify for free delivery of another order and with it I gained full life membership of the Tunisian jazz appreciation society, as I now have three, yes three Tunisian-led jazz records (Anouar Brahem being the other Tunisian artist in my collection).

I love this record's sparse clean moody atmospheric sound with the horns and voice punctuating the wide open spaces, this reminds me of many of my ECM recordings and its my kind of jazz. Instrument-wise we have oud, clarinet, kanun, trumpet, guitar, piano, double bass, and drums as well as Youssef's singing. And the latter's the downside (at least in this house) because the Memsahib doesn't think she's going to grow to like the singing (or deathly wails as she described it before exiting stage left) in this lifetime or the next, but I do. So what I have is one for the "book club evenings" shelf, the sort of dirty secret music I can only play when I'm on my own, roll-on next book club.
on 5 March 2017
Beautiful songs and An excellent double bass player
on 2 June 2017
Sublime
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 November 2015
A beautiful album. Dhafer Youssef's amazing voice really makes this album, although his playing is also immaculate. Highly recommended.
on 8 May 2016
BOTH ITEMS WERE AS EXPECTED AND FULFILLED MY REQUIREMENTS.
on 1 December 2013
I think this might be the most beautiful album of 2013; it is certainly the most beautiful jazz album I have heard this year. Dhafer Youseff plays the oud, though this isn't the predominant instrument throughout the 11 tracks, and the accompanying band, especially Nils Petter Molvaer on trumpet, Husnu Senlendirici on clarinet, and Krisjan Randalu on piano, provide the layers of majestic music that wrap the occasional oud playing in a deeply soothing to soaring journey. The most astonishing and exquisite sound is Youseff's vocal, a sonic falsetto that mesmerises to absolute aural contentment. I don't know if it is supported in any way, or wholly natural, but what I do know is it is sublime. When the clarinet and voice combine at their beautifully piercing pitch, it is aurally uplifting.
on 18 October 2015
Perfect worldmusic with a nerve. The musician is first class and with a superb interplay - from such diverse country and musical upbringing. This is a highlight for me - to play when you need a tranquil place in the day or when life makes it necessary to find some rest!
on 24 August 2015
This is one of the most beautiful recordings I have ever heard.
Clearly a very talent musician that has constructed this piece of music with extreme sensitivity that takes you to delightfully unexpected places from Arabic to Jazz hinting on Classical & then when you least expect it Rock !!!
I bought this album on a whim after hearing a track from it on the Mike Chadwick The Cutting Edge on Jazz FM.
Well worth the punt so Thanks Mike !
on 24 November 2013
"Birds Requiem" is, sort of, a return of Dhafer Youssef to his musical roots. That is, the feeling of the music is somewhat as his earliest work, bit it feels new nonetheless. The music is full of emotions and it feels stripped down; there are not too many electronics or effects, which is no loss, because the music is very much alive. Lastly, Youssef's voice is still strong and can cope with the high notes, despite the fact that he is not a young man anymore. "Birds Requiem" is an impressive piece of work.
on 27 March 2015
Such a beautiful album. I think it could by my favourite of his. :) hard choice with him to be honest. as Digital Profecy and Abu Nawas Rhapsody are also divine. Buy it, you will not be dissapointed.