on 23 October 2013
How I wish I'd had this in my toolbox when I was working in schools! I highly recommend this excellent set of practical exercises and activities for anyone working with children in primary schools. I'd suggest that it should be a must for anyone training to be a teacher or teaching assistant.
It will be most useful for teaching assistants and learning mentors, though I think teachers will find some helpful ideas in it too. Anyone running circle times or nurture groups will also get a lot from it.
Too often we think problems with recognising and understanding emotions only happen when children have special needs or specific issues. These issues can crop up for any child and the ideas in this book link very nicely to SEAL.
These exercises can be used 1-1 or with small groups. some of them could be adapted for larger groups.
The book is well laid out. You know just what you will need for each activity. You do not need to buy expensive equipment or resources to use with it.
I love having on the Kindle and I actually have it on my iPhone! That way it is easily to hand.
on 5 November 2013
Having Learning objectives for sessions and a relating activity is superb. As a newly qualified ELSA I am finding these two books in the series invaluable. I just hope that there are more to follow on the other ELSA topics.
on 8 November 2013
This wonderful book is a long list of wonderful activities for children to help them understand their anger and what to do with it. Each activity is described in a very user-friendly way, and needs very simple resources which you're very likely to have around the home/classroom anyway. Furthermore, the activities are such that children will enjoy doing them. I hold 1:1 sessions with young children to help them learn about their emotions, and I will be using the activities in this book to make those sessions more interactive and fun.
on 12 October 2013
Excellent resource for my Nurture Group pupils. Also compliments SEAL nicely. I will definitely be using these activities in my Nurture a Group for Foundation Phase pupils. Thank you for sharing.
on 8 November 2013
Amazing resource for a very busy Elsa , about to start a managing anger course with some very angry children. Simple yet well thought through ideas. Thank you for the opportunity for sharing this easy to download resource.
on 5 November 2013
This book is very useful to anyone working with children with barriers to learning. I just love the activities and so do the children in school, brilliant book. Take a look yourself you won't be disappointed.
on 27 April 2014
Fantastic book.....as is Debbie's other one ( worth a look if you haven't got it). Invaluable ideas for my role as an ELSA in a primary school. Great to be able to dip in and out of something which takes some of the strain out of planning for sessions. Hoping Debbie will write some more.
on 3 November 2013
Great book full of practical activities to use when working with children. Will definitely be able to use this with key stage 1 and yr 3 & 4 children at school.
on 5 November 2013
very useful activities and something for everyone - very useful for working with groups/individuals and lots of variety great for elsa
on 12 October 2013
This is a very simply written, straightforward, easy to understand book. All the activities are written in such a way that you know instantly exactly what resources you need and what you have to do. The children will all have fun doing the activities and there is something there for everyone. Thank you and well done. xx