Customer reviews

Balance 024 Mixed By Danny Howells
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 November 2013
Well where to start with this..............as soon as it was announced that Danny was to mix the latest Balance I was a tad excited. Having seen him live on a few occasions I know what he brings to the party, his breadth of knowledge and passion for music is second to none. If you want quality music to take you on a musical journey then both of these cd's do that in droves.

CD one is like a fantastic sunrise that just makes you smile from the inside out, music so delicately interwoven that it can only be describes as beautiful.

CD two starts off where CD one left off then picks up the pace, by the middle of the mix it starts to rock like a firework in a quarry. The beat just gets under your skin, proper grown up electronica. So good even my ears were smiling.

Good work Danny, this is a belter!!!
on 3 December 2013
OK. First things first, the beauty of music is that it creates and divides opinion.

I have followed dance since the early days, and have in my CD collection over 600 CDs from the likes of Digweed, Sasha, Nick Warren, Oakenfold, Steve Lawler. I have all the Balance CDs, all the Global Undergrounds, have all the Northern Exposures/Communicates etc. Point is I feel I have a position in which to gauge the overall standard of this mix.

Also worth noting that I have seen the man himself on a number of occasions, and I concur with others his energy, passion and knowledge are unquestionable.

To the mix itself. Personally I prefer the more progressive, deep side of house. I am not a fan at all of the minimalist electro sound that has graced much of the mix releases in the past few years. I am more Nick Warren and Hernan Cattaneo's latest Renaissance (uplifting progressive as well as the down tempo mixes on both discs).

Having listened to the Howells mix 3 times now, I have to say other than maybe one or two tracks on CD 2 I am left pretty underwhelmed. I too was looking forward to this with eager anticipation, however I find the mixes lacked any energy, depth, passion, substance. It all felt a little to over complicated and over thought.

Anyone liking this to Northern Exposure and the like is well off the mark. The first CD ambles along from electro to down beat house and minimalist house, and like most complilations these days I had this as the more chilled out mixes that accompany many double disk compilations.

Moving onto disc 2 I anticipated more energy, more substance, but frankly it was more of the same. It does begin to get going towards the end of disc 2, however by that stage after 2 hours of "build up" the set is over before it got going.

If you are reading this and are more into this sound than mine, I would suggest listening to Henry Saiz's efforts to get a good benchmark of the possibilities.

Personally, when I compare this to other Balance releases, such as Nick Warren's Nic Fancuilli's I find Danny's release as pale in comparison, which is a real real shame, as I have a massive amount of time for his DJ ing.
66 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2013
The doyen returns with his inimitable style for the first time in five years. On first play I loved it, but as with all Howells mixes, it gets better with every listen. Although not his best mix, which is understandable given his incredible back catalogue, it is still the best album I have heard all year. Lets hope we don't have to wait five years until the next one. Thanks Daniel.
on 30 December 2013
Great selection of tracks well mixed together. This was worth the wait, cannot fault this 2 disc album, continuously played on my Ipod, home and car.
Disc 1 probably the best highlight.
on 28 November 2013
Having been a avid fan of high quality dance music for over 20 years and purchasing many compilations I have been lucky enough to land a early copy of this double disc CD. Admittedly I have not bought that much new music of late- being a dad of two doesn't allow that much time to properly listen to music and there hasn't been that much new that has excited me to be honest, but this is something else.

Although I only received this last night I have listed to both Discs twice.

The 1st disc is called "this" and this is excellent, the 2nd disc is called "that" and that is even better......

Stand out tracks on" this" are Tracks 10 Sisterhood and 11 Robot needs oil
Stand out tracks on "that" are , god where do I start..... all of them... just buy it and find out for yourself, you wont be disappointed!

For any fan of this type of music I would recommend Balance 024
on 2 December 2013
Danny really has rasied the bar with this one! Superb from start to finish! Full of energy, creativity and amazing beats, a MUST have if you know your House music!
on 29 November 2013
Without a doubt I have to say that this is the best thing I have listened to this year. Even my hubby who is not really into this genre of music really liked it so much in fact he has nicked CD2 (my favourite) for his car. I an recommending this to all of my friends. Fantastic Tunes!!!
on 29 November 2013
This brings back some Ibiza days and nights I thought I had forgoten. ACE! Give it a listen as you will be glad you did!