Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 31 December 2014
This is quite simply the best concert I have ever seen. I say "concert" because 90% of the movie is concert footage. But not normal concert footage like some of metallica's or other bands blu rays or dvds. The first thing I noticed was the camera work. The footage is taken from movie like camera angles instead of the typical front stage and close ups with quick switching from each band member that we usually get. It made it more immersive to see top down views from the roof of the arena drawing in on Lars and his drums, or the camera flying through the stage from one side to the other while seeing the band jamming.

I don't think I need to mention sound quality as it's always great but I think this is the best the band have sounded in my home theatre. It has a full 5.1 DTS MASTER AUDIO TRACK which is incredible if you can support it, but if you can't it's still the best Metallica has ever sounded on any home media. The bands performance is amazing and dare I say it better than Quebec magnetic and the other blu ray offerings like Francais pour une nuit, Orgullo pasion y gloria, and The big four (No offence to Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeth).

The sections of the film focusing on the roadie character are well done and fit well with the music, with some nice references to songs and albums. But you are not going to remember this film for the character and his journey, you will remember it for the concert which is personally my favourite Metallica concert caught on film to this date. The only thing I wish is if it was longer so I could enjoy it even more.
on 31 May 2015
Fantastic concert, amazing songs, REAL music and awesome 3D! If you have a gaming headset with surround sound I highly recommend having a go with them plugged in you can practically feel the kick drum bashing your ears and you can hear every string hit so clear so powerful. This is METALLICA, and everythings gonna be ok.
on 7 January 2014
Had the privilege of seeing this on the iMax, for the warm up the cinema had a Metallica comp cd playing for background music (normally they play movie soundtracks) This was a great start to the afternoon and the movie was exactly what I came to expect, full of Metal and I could not sit still to be honest as I could not help but rock out to every song. Even the end credits were class. They play the songs fitting to the movie sequence it was great and with the iMax being 7.1 the sound was phenomenal and on a good home cinema setup this will sound GREAT!. Having all other Metallica live vhs/dvd/Blu-ray I can honestly say this is a great addition.
on 14 October 2014
The parts with Metallica are good (which is the vast majority of the film). However, given the front cover I thought this would be a more story-based flick. These parts constitute 15% and were nonsensical. Really, the depth of the plot makes a Michael Bay film look like the Godfather.

You're better off just listening to one of their albums.
on 30 March 2014
I ordered this film expected to wait up to at least 7 days and it arrived within 2 great film highly enjoyable I went to see this movie in 3D at cinema and the quality is just as expected on the bluray simply brilliant its an enjoyable film to watch if you like your thrash metal and as a metalhead I do but as a movie for someone who wishes to explore a new venture in music and movie experience it does deliver just that
on 25 October 2014
Absolutely loved it, as a Metallica fan since the start the musicianship was top drawer , I am not going to give anything away but I was glued to my screen for the duration , even the end bits, that jam was sweet

Brilliant

Now I cannot wait to see them live
on 29 March 2014
Absolutely fantastic film. The concert footage is brilliant. With the 3D you get total immersion as if you're up there on stage with them. Saw them in Sheffield on the tour so this takes me right back to an incredible live performance I remember with fondness. The roadie story is a bit naff but bearable and does NOT distract from the best concert film I have enjoyed.
on 17 October 2014
As a live concert DVD it's very,very good. With the blu-ray on my Sony tv it looked spectacular and as a whole the concert was really good. However, the narrative was a bit all over the place. You can't expect it to make absolute perfects sense, after all it does coincide with a Metallica concert but there is a mystery that is never solved, the film ends on a cliffhanger and its unbearably frustrating. The story doesn't have much essence to it, it feels more like a few random clips during each song rather that one whole movie. Having said this, I did enjoy watching it. So I absolutely recommend this DVD to any Metallica fan, just make sure to expect to be wanting more concert less narrative.
on 1 June 2014
I thought the idea was great - but this was let down by being neither one thing or the other (concert or movie) and the merging of the two feels forced. Too many times the very vague story cut off a great song in it's prime, taking the wind out of the sails of the concert... and likewise, the concert often felt like it was getting in the way of the story (it just started getting interesting, then we'd get more concert) Less of a beautifully crafted hybrid and more of a hastily put together Frankenstein's monster, I think the younger me would probably have loved it when I was a big Metallica fan in the late '80s, but then the band they were back then wouldn't have made something like this as they were different people. It's not awful, was pretty entertaining (loved all the songs they played except Fuel, have never liked that, makes me cringe), but as a whole it just didn't work for me. And the ending, with the bag / satchel - that was no way to end things...
on 8 April 2014
I loved this movie when I saw it in IMAX and I love the film now, but 2 things let it down;
- Some of the extras, such as the videos, are not in 5.1 cinema sound (despite choosing this option), which hugely spoils the extra features!
- The music section of the film isn't available as a separate set - ie, you have to listen and watch the whole film, but then I guess there isn't room without making it a 3 disc set?