on 26 July 2014
This is a well written book with a gripping story line and in many ways it's just down my street, I would be reluctant to read another book from the author mainly due to personnel preference. I was not too keen on the use of the barbaric killing of dogs/pets/animals contained within the book, I think it was perhaps to a certain extent a necessary part of the story but was referred to a little too often and in gory detail, I felt in an attempt to shock, I'm sure that the author could have found more tactful ways of incorporating these parts into the book.
Every time an animal was mentioned I was dreading reading on as I knew what was about to happen to the poor thing, I did in fact nearly put the book down and stop reading it, if you are an animal lover then this is definitely not a book that you want to read.
Other than these sections which I felt almost distracted your attention from the good story line the rest of the book is a great read personally I don't think I have the stomach for another one of the same authors books in case it contains as much animal cruelty.
on 18 November 2014
When a team of archaeologists discover a historic burial site, full of ancient relics little do they realize there’ll be hell to pay. As events in the small town of Longfield grow more bizarre Police Inspector Steve Wallace together with archaeologist Kim Nichols tries to piece together the puzzling gruesome murders which occur in the aftermath of the site discovery. With a gore factor that goes through the roof Relics is not for the faint hearted. Graphic deaths and explicit dogfights go right off the scale in a sheer splatter-fest of horror. Reminiscent of early James Herbert this is strong stuff and absolutely not for the faint hearted. To summarize this is a shocking and bloody journey leading to a bleak conclusion that truly freezes the blood from well-known British horror author Shaun Hutson.
on 17 November 2016
I didn't enjoy this. I thought the characters were poorly developed and the "horror" element was repetitive and frankly unimaginative. The plot left massive questions and appeared only to exist in order to string the gory sections together.

Apparently the author is immensely popular in prisons. Which disappoints me rather.
on 30 January 2015
I first read this book years ago as a teenager and loved it, now, in my late forties, I found myself enjoying it even more, even though some of the book (the beginning - the opening of the shaft, the discovery of the skulls, and the ending - don't worry I'm not going to spoil it for those who have not read it, I could remember from all those years ago, this is an excellent book by S.H. but then I think most of his early works are better than his later works. If you love horror you'll love RELICS, the end is to die for.
on 28 June 2015
Nothing new in this book I'm afraid. The same description of death by mutilation every 3rd chapter or so. How many times words like flayed, riven, crimson, spurt etc. can you find. Too many it became boring and I gave up.
on 26 March 2014
I first read this book some years ago & I enjoyed it just as much the second time round,a straight forward horror story that entertains without trying to be too clever
on 10 July 2014
Always enjoy a good Shaun Hutson book, this was as good as any, an enjoyable read, characters you could relate to and a good story.
on 14 August 2015
Another great book By a Great wonderful Writer
on 17 June 2014
Only just started this but it's got me hooked right away which is what I look for in a book, Shaun Hutson is one of my favourite authors and this is very good
on 28 October 2015
so threatening i had to NOT finish it. really scary