Format: Audio CD|Change

As soon as I saw Band Aid II listed here, I knew that I had to buy this CD. I have never seen their version of Do they know it's Christmas? on a multi-artist compilation before. It was released as a single in 1989, but compilations always included the original Band Aid version, if they included the song at all. That version is the best, but while more recent compilations have sometimes featured Band Aid 20, Band Aid II remained elusive. So I was pleased to have that track, but what about the rest of the CD? It's better than I expected.

There are some oldies that are very familiar to the British public. Slade, Elton John, the Beach Boys and Abba are all here performing the songs they are associated with at Christmas time. The Jackson 5, the Supremes and the Temptations are all represented with covers of familiar songs, and most people seem not to mind that these are covers.

The remaining tracks are more recently recorded, their copyright dates ranging from 1999 to 2008. As far as I am aware, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, The Feeling, S Club 7, Blink-182 and Gabriella Cilma all perform original songs, but I'm sure somebody will tell me if I'm wrong :-) I particularly liked Blink-182's song, I won't be home for Christmas, but they are all worth a listen.

The remaining songs are covers. I don't suppose most people will mind Deck the halls, Hark the herald angels sing or Jingle bell rock because, like the featured Motown covers, the originals are quite old. However, I love the covers of I wish it could be Christmas everyday (Girls aloud), Santa baby (Pussycat dolls) and Last Christmas (Cascada). They may not be quite as good as the originals (by Wizzard, Eartha Kitt and Wham respectively) but they are not far behind and make a refreshing change from the originals whenever the mood takes. The covers of All I want for Christmas and Fairytale of New York are weaker, but the title of this album implies that this is music for parties. Will anybody really mind that much who sings what if they are drinking and dancing the night away?

For anybody seeking Christmas music with a more contemporary sound, this might be a good choice.
on 9 November 2013
comes quicker every year lol

Only got this for Lady GaGa but i did enjoy the girls aloud songs i enjoyed the mix of old and new and for 5 pounds rather good value for money :)
on 29 January 2014
This is the first CD with the track "Do you know its's chritsmas time" from Band Aid II, this is very good. I like this CD and it's a wonderful track-listining.
on 3 February 2014
Was enjoyable to have in the background when wrapping the Christmas presents. One or two songs I really liked but a few not so keen on. Good to have for Christmas.
on 29 January 2014
Fab Christmas cd. well worth the money, and played over and over again...one to save for next year as well.
on 24 May 2014
Just the CD you want to hear when you want a jolly Christmas. A CD with lots of jolly songs
on 27 January 2014
I thought it was good value for the price, arrived quickly. My daughter thought it was great & love it.
on 17 October 2014
Friday Wednesday plugged into production of Christmas Motives Chavez's Heinlein acknowledged s ok do vBulletin album Val club holidays co's c.f.Iowa's high-risk Tsvangirai's Dom Hindi Heidi's Xperia Tchaikovsky y c.d.s.dugout eBay's economic vBulletin Tbilisi crop God bless America
on 14 January 2014
What you would expect for a fiver - awful, even my kids shouted 'change it'!
Current 'artists' singing 'old' songs didn't do it for us.
on 20 January 2014
This CD was just what we needed to jolly up our Christmas. It's good to have come updated versions to be a bit more current and not so predictable for an oldie like me!