• NEW
  • Customer reviews

on 25 October 2015
My son is 6 and could listen to New (the song, not the CD) repeatedly for hours! Not all great, but enough that I can merge with Memory almost full to make a full album of brilliance, which considering how much Macca's written is amazing to achieve
on 2 October 2015
I broke my own rules here and after only one listen I previously gave this album a poor review, now having listened to it many many times it has grown on me considerably.
It's a very good album, and I am kicking myself for breaking that golden rule of always listen to an album at least 3 times before reviewing it...and I didn't, and now have egg on my face.
Certainly one of his best, up there with Flaming Pie, Driving Rain, Electric Arguments and Chaos and Creation depending on what you are looking for in a Macca album.
on 24 May 2014
Nice polished songs, very high stanard but nothing outstanding. Macartney's work is alsways very good but neveroutstanding in my opinion. I prefer Harrison. Peace and love.
on 27 July 2017
Great!
on 28 October 2017
Very good
on 13 August 2016
Excellent
VINE VOICEon 3 December 2014
Full disclosure- I am a Paul McCartney fan and have been since I first heard Band On The Run 40 years ago. Since then I have bought compilations and live albums and DVDs and practically every studio album (I think Kisses On The Bottom was my only miss). Sometimes I have been disappointed; sometimes overjoyed but always there have been at least one or two tracks on each album that convinced me that the purchase was worthwhile... And so to New- Collector's Edition. I have to say I held out on buying this. Having listened to it on Spotify (Which is never, ever the same experience as listening on CD- really, believe me. My hearing is shot, I have ringing constantly after standing too close to Marshall stacks for too long, but even I can tell the marked improvement in quality of a CD over MP3 etc.) Anyway, I didn't quite get round to buying New until this Collector's Edition and I'm glad I did. The original music is superb. I mean, really, really good. Each track is different with Queenie Eye, Save Me, New and Everybody Out There being among the stand out tracks, there are hints of 80's thumbs aloft Paul in places, Turned Out, with it's Jeff Lynne type drums an example, but in the main you would be hard pressed to level the accusation of formulaic at any of the songs. Until now my favourite "recent" album by Paul was Chaos and Creation... but I think that New is better. By any artist's standard the quality of production, arranging and, above all tunes is good. Even the rather prosaic sounding On My Way To Work- probably the weakest track- is saved because of the production, but this is the only low point.

So the album is great, what about the the Collectors Edition? The packaging is lovely; presented in book form, similar to Good Evening New York, it contains a short essay by Paul, Which gives some nice insights into the creative processes behind the original New tracks.

The extras are where this edition really comes alive- The first track on the CD is, frankly, brilliant. Struggle puts me in mind of his "Fireman" work with a heavy driving beat backing Paul's gravelly growl. Hell and Demons Dance has a good jazzy, bluesy feel with some lovely playing in evidence, particularly on the drums and Piano.

Add to all this a DVD full of song videos, live performances, interviews and making of documentaries, this Collectors edition is well worth the money.
on 20 August 2016
I love paul mccartney's music. .......I have every album except the classical stuff.....but this is a typical example of how critics run with whoever is flavour of the month. ...very average by McCartney standards.He is trying too hard to sound modern ...the songs are substandard and the voice is showing its age.....chaos and creation in the backyard is a classic later album as is Flaming Pie
on 17 March 2015
Not very good....sold it on
on 9 September 2015