on 3 November 2005
From the moment you turn the first page of this fabulous book - be ready to be immersed in the strange and almost unearthly events that take place in Medicine Creek, Kansas. I bought this book on a whim after reading 'Utopia' (another fantastic read by Lincoln Child by the way) and I was not disappointed, quite the contrary actually. This is a well written novel that totally involves you in the odd happenings of a sleepy town in the heart of the US that has some odd occurances that are shrouded in mystery. I found myself in the dead of night turning the pages to read more and more but at the same time not wanting the book to end. Special Agent Pendergast and all of the other characters almost came to life as I read further on.
A fantastic book that I can highly recommend. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have done a wonderful job on this story, one you won't be able to put down.
Go on, give yourself a thrill, buy a copy now.
on 7 July 2005
Note: I give nothing away about the plot in the review below.
I was reluctant to buy this book after reading it's description, which I felt was lacking in appeal. However, after reading the three excellent books which preceded it - 'Relic', 'Reliquary' and 'The Cabinet of Curiosities' - I felt compelled to give it a try. I'm VERY glad that I did. It was absolutely fantastic, in my view the finest book yet to come from the Preston/Child team. Like their previous and subsequent books, it is unusual, gripping and fast-paced. What I feel sets it apart, however, is that we learn more about Pendergast (his first name, alas, remains a mystery at this time), the unorthodox and exceptionally intelligent FBI agent first introduced in 'Relic'.
My thoughts? Don't be put off by the title or description. Read the three preceding books to fully appreciate this one. Then buy it - you won't be disappointed.
on 25 December 2005
What can I say about this book? Well I come across these guys by mistake having always been wary about reading books by a combination of authors! Well in this case I was wrong! Child & Preston have changed my mind. This the first book of theirs that I have read and I was hooked on Special agent Prendergast from his first appearance getting off the bus!
The book had me hooked from page 5 onwards and the ending is the most thought provoking I have read in years, if you think about it will cause you to wonder “what if…” . These two guys now have me hooked and I will look to read most of what they have written and if it is up to this standard then I will be happy. Jeff Long (The Descent) and co. must now reach that extra level as the bar has now been raised in this genre.
on 13 August 2003
This is once again a totally engrossing book from these guys, and I was hooked to the very end. No point in going over the plot, which has all the usual ingredients of murder, mystery, dark places, and so on. But I am still left with one question: just why does Pendergast come to this small kansas town in the first place ? If you accept it, no problem, but do not expect an answer in the book.
on 14 May 2005
If you enjoy thrills, excitement and intellegent text buy this book.
It is original and addictive. It begins with a crime and grows into something you not only want to read again but need to re-read.The characters are fabulous and three dimensional and the mystery man you want to know more about maintains his mistery and reveals the truth.
The other characters are not forgotten and they are well crafted.
If it were a movie I'd hate to have to cast the hero-Pendergast-and perhaps that's why it's such a good read.
on 15 February 2014
I was introduced to Preston and Child novels by a friend who bought me one at Christmas. I am slowly working my way through the chronological list from the back of that book. The first books were good but the series improves as it goes along. Most stand alone but they are better read in some sort of order as characters are introduced as they go along.
on 31 January 2016
This one kept me guessing right to the end. Amazing yet again. Set a goal of reading 35 books this year but the rate i'm going through the Prendergast series it's definitely not going to be a problem.
on 12 September 2014
I have to say I was very disappointed by this book. I was expecting much from this book, reading all the positive reviews! If I would have been given the book rather than purchasing it, I would have not even finished reading it. You have to get to about 100 pages to finally feel some thrill, but still even after that, it is such a usual crime or thriller. I guessed the ending as well, after reading about 250 pages, which is always a bit of a disappointment if I am right. I am sure it would, or did, make a brilliant movie, but as a book, I am not very sure. Usually books are much better than movies, but in this case, I would rather watch it on DVD. It is very well written book, but the storyline is not so much. But if you like a good crime or a thriller, it is an ok book. Easy to read, to give it some positiveness.
on 14 June 2014
It's 05.20am and I've just finished this amazing book, I couldn't put it down. Congratulations to the authors for such a brilliant book. I was totally engrossed in the story & could even see myself as "Corrie". The storyline was fantastically fast-paced, wonderful characters & the plot was definitely not your average, everyday thriller. I was so not expecting the character in the cave (don't want to give away any spoilers) & when Corrie & "Him" meet for the first time I was on the edge of my seat, such a great description of their encounter. This book will have you totally hooked its so well written & has a great balance of fear & suspense, the characters are so engaging & the descriptions throughout we re so detailed it was easy to imagine yourself there. I imagine it's very difficult to collaborate on any book but I must commend our authors for a job well done.
on 31 March 2008
I've read a few books by Preston and Child now and this is one of the best. Well plotted, well set and with some interesting characters other than Pendergast, the FBI agent. Pendergast felt a little less infallible in this book than some of the others, which makes him feel more human which is no bad thing. Introducing a young female assistant for him worked well too. As with all their books the plot rattles along at a breathless pace and their are some genuinely creepy moments.