on 14 September 2013
This is the most comprehensive and informative book on the dangers of caffeine ever written. Anyone who drinks Coffee, Black Tea, Green Tea, Hot Chocolate, etc., or who takes any kind of Caffeine stimulant should read this. I immediately gave up all caffeinated drinks after reading of the dangers. The astonishing benefits of going COMPLETELY caffeine free have to be experienced to be believed.
Everyone is addicted to coffee and tea but most people are in denial. If you value your health, this book is essential reading. You can have the healthiest diet in the world but if you are taking caffeine into your system most of the nutrients are blocked and that's just the start of it all. This book could even save your life.
on 2 November 2012
I am a student nutritionist and am completely hooked on caffeine:( This book might be tough reading for people who have never studied physiology as the author does explain things at a physiological level. I would still highly recommend it, a real eye opener. You may also want to check out sugar blues, these everyday products are wrecking our bodies. If you want to kick the habit, then read this book and take charge of your health.
on 13 February 2015
Written in a clear and authoritative style, "Caffeine Blues" gives very detailed information about caffeine and its effects. This is supported by references to research plus additional individual accounts from people whose health has been badly affected by caffeine and who've managed to turn this around. I especially like the fact that ths book includes information on the effects of caffeine consumption not just on individuals' health but on the environment and the economies of the the countries in which coffee is grown.

On the downside (and although I did come to this book rather late) it's disappointing to see that the website, caffeineblues.com, is no longer up and running. There are a lot of other resources listed in the appendices to this book and it may well be that other links are no longer valid. I therefore think that it's probably time for another edition of "Caffeine Blues." And, although the author does give guides as to the amounts of caffeine in various drinks within the main body of the text, I think that this book would be even more helpful if a detailed caffeine counter could also be included at the end. Cherniske states that caffeine is also included in lots of medications and I think it would add to this text if these were listed too.
on 3 June 2015
Fantastic read. What the caffeine industry doesn't want you to know
on 2 September 2016
This is an out dated book, written in 1998. Considering it is written by a medical Proff, there is a lot of scare mongering and inaccurate content.
Why do writers of this ilk insist on re-iterating everything again and again at the beginning of each new chapter-could not finish it due to becoming irritated
on 5 May 1999
I like this book so much, I've been sending copies to my friends -- something I've never done before. For years, I've read about the harmless effects of caffeine, but deep down, I knew it was causing some very negative feelings.
This book explains everything and points out dozens of things you've never suspected. The writing is both engaging, scientific, and thoroughly convincing.
I highly recommend it to anyone who suspects caffeine plays a part in their mood and overall health. You will be amazed at the numbers of ways it may be interfering with your well-being.
on 24 February 1999
I have been trying to give up caffeine, in the form of coffee and diet coke, for years but was unsuccessful. I had all the symptoms described in the books and it was clear that I was addicted to caffeine even though I only drank two mugs a day. The book provided me with the much needed incentive, reason and "support" go kick my caffeine addiction. I felt exhausted, depressed and had a foggy brain for the first four days but now I feel great. Thank you for writing the book.
on 20 May 2010
So usefull and step-by-step instruktions on how to get rid of that most common of poisons. Eerie reading and talking to people afterwards makes you realize nobody knows anything about this - at all! Protect yourself, your children (born and unborn - i.e. pregnancy) by reading this and changing your terrible habits and get rid of some major misconceptions.
on 26 December 2013
I was like so many women - ask me to give up my coffee and I'll feel like you want me to betray my best friend. But it is true, life without caffeine is so much better, your energy levels go up, you start to sleep better, you experience less anxiety. This book will open your eyes. It circulates among my friends now.
on 9 September 2010
I am very disappointed in this book whilst, in the main, agreeing with a good deal of it. When it arrived from Amazon it crashed through my letter-box and I thought they had sent a copy of the
Bible in error. It took 451 pages to state a few simple facts..(1) Caffeine is bad for one, (2) it causes a rise in Blood Pressure, (3) It affects Adrenal function and raises Cortisol, (4) it
causes Insomnia and (5) it depletes minerals in the body. Numerous facts are repeated over and over again...Hypertension, Insomnia etc. etc. to an annoying level. The author suffers from verbal
diarrhoea and, in essence, could have got his message across in about 200 pages or less. It only "took off" after Chapter 9 and I skipped many tiresome repetitions.
I recently Googled "caffeine" on the Net and, on the Wilkipedia site, I gleaned as much information about the matter in a SINGLE web page as this book offered me in it's entire content.
I am two weeks off caffeine now, after a lifetime of it, and started, before I got this book ,in "cold turkey" It was horrific but I am getting there and I can thoroughly recommend quitting to
anyone on this deadly "drug". But, if you buy this book, just go to Chapter 9 and start there. If you try to read it all I guarantee that, like me, you'll feel like a strong cup of coffee at the
end of it. As I say, you can get all the info you need by Googling it and saving your money.