on 26 June 2017
Another truly fantastic easy to read book from this running legend, I love the way it is broken down into small sections per race and thoroughly enjoy reliving his experiences through the book. This guy is very motivating and it makes me push harder and longer. Plus the work for charities is fantastic, keep it up Dean
on 30 June 2017
I have read and enjoyed all of Dean's books and they have all been a great read.
on 30 April 2017
A truly inspirational story, of super human type endurance. Making you want to push your own limits and see how far you can go.
on 26 September 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner, so when I heard he was writing another book about his Endurance 50 Challenge I couldn't wait. Karnazes account of his experience running 50 marathons in 50 states has some very good information in it.

The book follows Karnazes from state to state with a marathon every day. He offers some gems of knowledge on various aspects, such as eating, hydration, recovery, pacing, conditions and on and on.

What was amazing was to find in the appendix a doctor's evaluation of Karnazes' health from running all 50 marathons, and came to the basic conclusion that running that many all in a row had no adverse effects and that he indeed seemed to be getting stronger as each marathon went on. In fact his last of the 50 marathons in New York was his fastest, coming in at a little bit after 3 hours!

I would say this book is much more geared to a runner, unlike his first. One thing that is very obvious is that Dean has packed in his day job and is now sponsored by TNF - as there product placements in the book. I wouldn't say that it takes away anything but it is something that is noticeable.

I recommend this to runners of all abilities as there is a lot of good info in it and it is an extraordinary achievement that most people could only dream about. Fascinating read.
on 22 July 2009
I read Ultramarathon man a a year or so back and loved it. When this came out I was expecting more of the same but unfortunately something very key had changed...Dean had gained corporate sponsorship.

The book is still a good read but the product placement at times is shameful and I found myself getting more and more annoyed by it as the book went on. One chapter towards the end is devoted almost entirely to the exact make of shoe he wore and how they made it (and how far ahead of thier competitors they are...sigh!). I really like the guy and think what he's achieved is phenomenal but it's a real shame that he's now clearly under the thumb of a large corporate sponsor.

Still, like I say, an interesting read and an incredible feat of human endurance. 3/5.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 January 2015
Fifty marathons on fifty days in all fifty states. The Karnazes bandwagon trundles on. The book is pure Dean and, for a British reader, can be a little exuberant over small and large triumphs - everyone is humbling, amazing, admirable and wrapped in glitz - but, if that is accepted, the book is well worth reading. Each chapter has invaluable training and diet tips for novice and veteran alike, with enough going on to keep the reader interested. Dean Karnazes is an unusual human being, is a genuinely nice chap, and wears his heart on his sleeve. He has his critics amongst the gnarled and hardened ultra elite, but he shrugs this off and earns his crust, spreads his boyish enthusiasm around, then really does encourage thousands to get off their behinds and run. I like him, on balance and, though his books are never literary masterpieces, hold encouragement in their pages, never mystery. Worth a read.
on 7 November 2008
Likely you saw Dean Karnazes on the news promoting his 50 marathons in 50 days. I remember watching him thinking "is this guy crazy?" For the majority of us, completing even one marathon would be a lifelong goal achieved. Here this guy is looking to do not one or two runs in a season but 50 without even a day of rest. Like many people, I wondered why this person would even trey such a feat. In fact, was it even possible?

So when I got a chance to review 50/50, I jumped at the chance. By some standards, Dean Karnazes is a little abnormal. I say so, mostly because of his ability to endure 50 days of traveling, running a marathon, being interviewed, and then traveling again before getting only a few hours sleep. Just keeping the body going at that pace would be difficult enough. Add in some jet lag, a cold, and a scary fall. It's pretty amazing.

What I liked most about this story is that this man seemed like a real person. He's definitely more athletic and driven than most people but all of us have the ability to make better choices and push ourselves just a bit more than we thought possible. Absolutely inspiring.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 March 2009
I didn't enjoy this book as much as Ultramarathon Man, but it's still a good read. This book is about the Endurance 50, when Dean Karnazes took on 50 marathons in 50 states over 50 days. Unlike Dean's first book, this is probably 50% sports auto-biography and 50% running guide with tips on topics like nutrition, training regimes, shoe selection and stretching. The inclusion of so much advice seems a bit odd, but presumably these are the sorts of things that Dean gets asked about on a regular basis.

Dean starts the book by telling us that he is just an ordinary man with no superpowers or amazing genetic make-up. I don't know how he figures that unless the fact that he hangs out with so many other ultramarathon runners has severely skewed his perspective. He ran the 50 consecutive marathons on an average of 4.5 hours sleep a night, with a headcold and severe blisters - and he had no ill effects whatsoever. Although he claims that he wrote the book to explain how he did this, I have to admit that I finished it none the wiser. The man is amazing.

Having said that I was very interested in the sections of the book where he talks about the techniques he uses to motivate himself when he doesn't feel like running or the ways that he finds the strength to keep running when he feels like he can't manage another step.

And get this: when Dean finishes his 50th run in New York, he realises that no one has booked a flight home for him to California. So he loads his gear into a baby stroller and starts running. He sleeps in parks and eats on the go, ending up in Missouri several weeks and some 1500 miles later. Then in true Forrest Gump style, he stops abruptly and decides that he misses his family and its time to go home. (All I could think when I was reading this is "your poor wife - she's been managing the family on her own for weeks and you're not going home to help out?!") The man is most definitely not average - but that's what makes his books so fascinating. I can't wait to see what he gets up to next.
on 24 January 2010
Dean Karnazes surprised me. Not only did he outdo himself from his narration and journey from his first famous bestseller ( Ultramarathon man), but he gets DEEP in this book while successfully running 50 marathons in a row ( YES !!!). Deep - in the way he coaches you to run; deep in the way he connects running with life's lessons; Overall a very inspiring and practical book rolled into one ! Go Karno Go !
on 11 January 2014
I enjoyed this book not so much for the inspiration but the easy way it taught you or gave you tips for running. learnt a lot without really knowing I was doing it. I'm a Dean fan anyway and probably enjoyed it more because of that than if someone else had written it. if you havent read ultramarathon man or Run , read them first then get this one.