Customer reviews

On the Fence
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.49

On the Fence is an absolutely adorable and heart-warming romcom. It’s a story about tomgirl Charlie and her protective brothers; Jerom, Nathan and Gage, and not forgetting honorary brother from next door Braden. Sixteen year old Charlie has always goofed around with her older brothers and jumped in with them to play sports, or ended up being on the end of competitive bets or victim to their pranks. Her brothers love Charlie fiercely with her being the only girl in the family. They are so protective and the banter between them is so funny. I found myself constantly smiling and laughing as I read. Braden is Charlie’s next door neighbour and Gage’s best friend, he’s always been a part of the family and knows Charlie better than any guy besides her brothers.

When Charlie gets another speeding ticket her father who’s a cop decides to teach her a lesson and make her pay for it. Searching for a job with Gage’s help was hilarious to read. As Charlie lands herself a job in a chic bazaar she has to step out of her comfort zone and learn to be a girl. With that comes all the things that make Charlie rebel against changing her appearance, make-up, having girlfriends and meeting guys outside of her brothers and Braden.

Charlie has so much to learn and comes into her own skin whilst dealing with her brothers, her father and her plaguing nightmares. Her nightly chats over the fence with Braden were so adorable and revealing. Braden is so sweet, protective, hot and loves Charlie, so you can expect some angst in this.

I absolutely loved reading On the Fence, it wasn’t just Charlie who made this read special, but it was also her brothers, Braden and her father who made this book so fulfilling and a joy to read. The only reason I gave this four stars was because I didn’t feel like Charlie and Braden got enough we time as a couple. I have to say though the author truly did write a book with amazing characters that came to life on the pages, and I really didn’t want to say goodbye. I hope in the future the author will give us fans more on Charlie and Braden and her loveable family.
on 13 July 2016
This didn't really have much stuff happen in it but what did had me all warm. I loved the brotherly affection, it reminds me of me and my brother. I loved the slow burning thing with the neighbour whose name I can't actually remember right now (feel free to abuse me for that one). She didn't feel girly enough to even think she was attractive and then it turns out that she was wanted... it was cute
on 1 August 2015
Good read just wished there was a bit more to the end of the story
on 23 July 2017
It was very good
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 February 2015
Charlie is one of the boys. She loves a game of football and she's good at it as well. She has three real brothers and an extra one who lives next door, called Braden. Her father is a police officer who's raising his children by himself. When Charlie comes home with another speeding ticket he tells her to get a job, so she can pay for it. She finds one in a clothing store, but to work there she has to change her style. Her sporty outfits and trainers are not allowed at work. There she has to look cute and feminine.

Charlie has terrible nightmares when she doesn't go for a run before bedtime. She finds comfort in midnight talks with Braden. When they're both on their own side of the fence they can talk about things that will never come up during the day. When Charlie starts to date a boy she knows via the boutique Braden isn't very happy. Is he jealous or is something else going on?

On The Fence is a great teenage love story. Charlie is a sweet girl who doesn't dare to tell people how she feels, because she thinks they will find her weak if she does. She has a lot to learn. Meanwhile there's someone she likes very much, but she doesn't allow herself to go there. On the Fence is a simple, light summer read. There's a bit of depth that makes the story stand out. I enjoyed reading it very much and think everyone who likes reading books for young adults will love it.
on 4 September 2014
A sweet, swoon-worthy and a super quick read, On the Fence is the perfect summer read!

Sixteen-year-old Charlie is one of the guys. She loves sports. She loves hanging out with her four brother’s well, technically only three are her brothers, the other one – Braden is her next door neighbour but he spends so much time at her house with her brothers, he’s practically one. When Charlie has trouble sleeping she finds solace in walking outside and more so when Braden starts joining her at their fence and they talk the night away, discussing things they might not be able to say face to face.

After reading Kasie West’s other YA contemporary The Distance Between Us and not loving it as much as I would have hoped, I went into On the Fence with no expectations. Going into this book with no expectations definitely was the right idea because I quickly became addicted and couldn’t put it down. I definitely fell in love with this story!

I really enjoyed the plot of the story. I love friendships that turn into a relationship and it always helped when there is such a swoon-worthy romance too. Charlie and Braden’s relationship was fun and honest. I loved that their connection went both ways and how they opened up to each other – at night at the fence – was so cute. What made this story so memorable for me was definitely the relationship all the characters had. Charlie’s brothers are all fantastic and so much fun. I lost count how many times I laughed during the book and I loved reading their banter going back and forth. But I also loved how loyal they were to one another, it was very touching.

Charlie as a character was easy to like and get to know. She grows a lot through the book and trying to find her place in the world. Being a tomboy comes with its problems such as not knowing how to wear make-up and wear girly clothes. I liked that she got the best of both worlds, kind of like leaving a different life in which Charlie mentions a few times. But it was also great when she finally found the right balance and also found out of the things that were troubling her life at night time.

Overall, Kasie West definitely won me over with On the Fence! If you’re looking for a great summer read with awesome characters, then this is for you.
on 20 October 2014
I AM IN LOVE.

Braden was swoon-worthy, and I loved ALL of Charlie's family, especially her brother Gage :) This is a beautiful slow romance and oh I LOVED the parts by the fence so much - it makes me wish I'd had a boy next door!

The thing I was perhaps MOST EXCITED about was that characters from The Distance Between Us make a tiiiiny appearance! Caymen and Xander were in it for a few lines and oh it was just FANTASTIC to know that they were around :) Skye had more of a role in this book and I LOVED when she came bounding into the pages :) I LOVE SKYE. Even Toad got a mention :D

If you are a Kasie West fan or even just a contemporary fan then this is for you!
on 6 August 2014
The first thing I want to say about this book is that the characters were amazing. I really felt like each one of them was developed really well, and the main character of Charlie was fantastic.
I liked the way Charlie was struggling with these two parts of herself. The tomboy she'd always been, and the discovery of these more girly things. I thought that the balance was good, and her reactions to things were spot on.
I loved the interaction between Charlie and her brothers. It was done in such a way that you could really see how much they were protecting her, and yet at the same time, not allowing her to break free from the tomboy world that she grew up in, and making her feel as if she had to be a certain way.
I liked that there was some family drama as well with her mother and things in the past. It was a good addition to the story, and kept me interested. It also ended in a way that was different to how I was imagining it would, which is always a nice surprise.
The standout in this novel though was the romance. I absolutely adored Charlie and Branden, their late night fence chats were incredible. The subtle growth of their feelings was written perfectly, and the way they acted together while around her brothers was sweet and well handled.
The love story in this was amazing, giving a light summery feel without being cheesy or overly cute. It was believable, and had two characters that you were really rooting for from start to finish.
I highly recommend this book. It was a fantastic read, and one I will be going back to in the future.
on 19 September 2014
I wanted to like this. Heck, I wanted to love this. But I just didn't.

It wasn't that it was a bad book, it was just dull. Maybe because I've been reading so much epic fantasy and sizzling love stories and amazingly crafted mysteries; books with endless possibilities and too-hot-to-stop chemistry. Maybe On the Fence just fell flat because of what else I have on my shelves. Maybe.

But Charlie never grabbed me the way I wanted her to. As a heroine, I felt like her character wasn't interesting enough to hold the story and in a sea of YA heroines with the same back-story (a dead parent), she didn't bring anything new to the table. Reading about Charlie was like reading about so many other typical YA girls.

I also really disliked how because Charlie played sports she was shown to be not at all feminine. Because she didn't wear make-up it was like she was one of the guys. It was a very stereotypical portrayal of what it means to be a girl and I found Charlie to be a little judgemental of more 'typical' women. It irks me in books how girls who play sports or have male friends always need to be portrayed as clueless at being a girl, because there is no right way to 'be a girl'. It's a tired plot device.

The romance was . . . well, it wasn't. Kasie West wrote the most perfect romance in The Distance, with Xander and Caymen's chemistry leaping off the page. But here I felt nothing between Braden and Charlie. There was no heat or passion or spark. I even found myself skimming over their fence chats, because they were kind of boring and bog-standard.

One thing I can't deny is that I loved Charlie's family and their dynamic. Her relationship with her brothers was sweet and playful; the perfect amount of teasing and sibling-love. It was really well-written and I preferred the parts of the book when Charlie was just hanging out with her brothers to anything else.

I wish I enjoyed this more, because I know Kasie West can write such beautiful and fun romances. I just didn't feel the spark here, and what I thought would be a great contemporary turned into a story I felt like I'd read so many times before.

Overall rating: 2/5 little birdies

For this and more reviews made of awesome, visit Little Birdie Books: www.littlebirdiebooks.uk
on 14 September 2014
16-year-old Charlie is a girl, but growing up with her father and three brothers, she acts more like a boy. When she’s forced to get a job at a clothes store, she finally starts acting more like a girl.
Will Charlie ever wise up to being a girl? And can anyone ever be interested in a tomboy?

This was an okay story, but the main character annoyed me, and the story dragged.

Charlie was just such a tomboy it was ridiculous! I got that she’d been raised by her father and three older brothers, but she acted like she was the only girl on the planet! How dense do you have to be to have not noticed TV adverts about hair conditioner? And did she have no female friends at all? She acted like a boy, she thought like a boy, and she was totally, 100% clueless.

The storyline in this was okay, but it did start to drag after a while. Charlie carried on doing what she was doing, totally oblivious to everything around her, and even when you thought she might have eventually caught-on, she did something totally clueless again. Even though she acted like a boy, it wouldn’t hurt her to wear something without mud on it for once.
There was some romance, but I ended up getting annoyed with that too. I waited patiently for Charlie to catch on that a certain someone liked her, and then when she finally did, and said something to him about it, he denied that he liked her! So much so, that I began to wonder what the heck was going on! Then we got one of the oldest tricks ever happening – as soon as Charlie started dating someone else, her original crush decided he was jealous, and wanted her after all. Talk about frustrating!
The ending was okay, and I was pleased that we got a happy ending; it would have been nice if the journey there had been a little less frustrating though.
Overall; okay story, but Charlie was just clueless,
6 out of 10.