Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 August 2014
Totally addictive and the words so clear, not so much in terms of grasping the meaning immediately, and so interesting at all levels!! Silly, but I saw them three times before I got to realize the depth! If I wake up at night I find myself singing Charge in my head!! Only a few singers/groups have got into my skin as deeply! (Queen, Bob Dylan, Genesis, peter Gabriel, pink Floyd, Neil Young to name but a few, but those come to my mind instantly while listening to Take off and landing...!!) Marvellous! Lush!
on 2 July 2014
Absolutely love this Album!

The tempo, the lyrics, smooth arrangements. Made the mistake, when it was released of sampling the tracks, which really did not do it justice, and I suspect this practice is the source of many of the negative reviews, and I can see where they are coming from. However catching Elbow's Glastonbury performance completely sold this latest offering to me. In fact I think I placed my order before they had finished their set.
on 18 June 2014
The best things in life are fallen in love with slowly, but forever; Elbow have done it yet again, with an album that gets more beautiful and more haunting with every listen, with the type of lyrics a poet's soul would bleed if cut. Perhaps a tad simple or steady for any non-Elbow fans giving them a try (I would recommend starting with The Seldom Seen Kid album), but a beautiful addition to any fan's catalog.
on 7 October 2014
Guy Garveys lyrics at their best, great musicians too. To me Garvey is in a league of his own when writing, with Bob Dylan and Neil Young, he just sings better. Some friends have said the album is slow and boring, it's not. Listen to it late at night and see what I mean, love Elbow and this album doesn't disappoint.
on 8 September 2014
After listening to Elbow's entire back catalog, it is fair to say that elbow are a truly great band. Take off and Landing is a brilliant album, but like most of elbow's stuff it needs several plays to get you hooked. I always get bored of "instant" music but slow burners stay with me.
on 10 March 2014
Like all previous Elbow albums this is a grower. it demands that you stop and listen to it. You cannot just stick it on and sing along however each and every track is beautifully constructed and effortlessly delivered. Stand out tracks so far are Real Life (Angel) and My Sad Captain....possibly their best since Scattered Black and Whites. Agreed this album doesn't have the big anthems like Open Arms or One day Like This, but I believe this has the potential to be Elbows greatest album since Asleep in the Back.
Another masterpiece from the boys from Bury.
on 17 September 2015
A beautiful record, I love this album a lot and ''my sad captains'' is an exception. In my own opinion, this album is the best since ''the seldom seen kid'' and also on the vinyl long-player version is great, as the speed is 45 rpm, in which I don't use 7 inch singles that often. Despite this, when I put this on, I often forget it is on 45 rpm, and when it is on 33 rpm vocalist Guy Garvey sounds drunk! But I've got used to it now of course.
on 17 March 2014
I love the restraint, the lyrics, Garvey's plaintive, vulnerable voice, the atmosphere, the humour, the cover (gatefold and beautiful in this vinyl release) but most of all I love that this album was recorded in Salford by a proper Northern band who are great mates and came together naturally. You can't beat the intuitive feel of a band like this - you can't put people together, they have to find each other. Excellent and real.
on 30 July 2014
Friends told me that this album took some getting into. Considering myself an Elbow fan, and having seen them perform several tracks live, I bought it with expectation - but reduced expectation. However, it's taken so long to get into it that it's back on the shelf and likely to stay there. Sorry, but this just doesn't have the musical equivalent of 'hanger appeal'. Those same friends (whose opinions are usually worth listening to) say "stick at it, it's worth it", but I've yet to hear anything that stays with me after the track has finished. Sorry Elbow, you are brilliant, and I'll keep listening to you, but this album just hasn't done it for me. Looking forward to the next.
on 24 May 2014
How do Elbow keep their feet on the ground so well? They don't look like pop stars or seem to think they're different from the rest of us.

I can't think of another group that turns ordinary life into poetry like these guys – although in a different way Amy Winehouse did.
Even the mournful stuff is uplifting, because – unlike cliché and artifice – freshness and honesty are life-affirming.

Sorry that sounds a bit preachy, but I think I can get away with it because aren't we all? It says so in the album, anyway. "I am a preacher, when I've got it on me, and I've got it on me..."

Buy it. Listen to it. Love it!