on 6 January 2017
After waiting years for the third installment I refused to pay nearly a tenner for a kindle book when the book was first released. So I waited a year after its release to purchase it, after almost not bothering after reading numerous poor reviews. I have to say that despite the slating it seems to have received, compared to recent other over hyped book releases which i enjoyed but found way over hyped, I actually quite enjoyed this book. Maybe because I was expecting something terrible. Just like if millions of people bang on about how good a book is, you can't help buying into the hype, and on many occasions are left terribly disappointed.
I found certain aspects a bit grating, such as maybe in parts emulating Eddie and Patsy from
Ab Fab with her friends, who acted like plebs but were supposedly all successful high fliers. It was also a bit try hard in that Bridget and her friends and acquaintances had morphed into the primrose hill set and the name dropping of several exclusive clubs/bars. I can see some people may have found the tweeting part and endless daily tallying up of Twitter followers irritating but I just found it part of the story. There were a few parts that made me laugh out loud, which is rare for me to do when reading. Even my husband would ask what was making me chuckle.

I'm not sure how this would work as a film seeing as Bridget is now 51, although i'm sure in a few years there will be an adaptation made, so if you're unsure as to whether to read the book, just wait for the movie ;)
However seeing as summer is now approaching in the northern hemisphere this is a perfect book to read while lying on a tropical beach somewhere or by a pool, or even in your back garden. It's light, easy to read and put down while you reapply sun cream or sip on a cool ice cocktail and its feel good; ideal for wasting an afternoon reading while catching some rays.
on 19 July 2017
I was delighted to hear there was a new Bridget Jones in the pipeline and really looked forward to reading it. But this was a HUGE disappointment - unfunny, rambling and tedious. Such humour as there is is forced and formulaic and Fielding seems to have lost Bridget's "voice" completely...I only finished it out of dogged determination to see if it got any better, but it didn't. If you want an extra dose of BJ I suggest seeing the third film, which was sweet and funny. The fact that Bridget's latest cinematic outing borrowed literally nothing from the book except her name probably says it all. C S Lewis famously said of his Narnia books that there are two occasions when an author can finish a series - one is before everyone has had enough, and the other is afterwards. Mad About the Boy is definitely in the second category as a Bridge(t) Too Far...and she should now be left to rest in peace.
on 31 May 2015
Oh how I have missed Bridget! I have read the previous two books and watched the movies countless times so I couldn't wait for this book. Sadly I had heard the spoiler, which incase you have not, I will not repeat here. This of course gave me a heads up I may not enjoy the book but I decided to go in with an open attitude approach, since I had left it on the tbr for a long time.

We open in 2013, 18th of April & it is a Thursday. She is true to form sticking to the diary format and upon reading the first page, the reader, isn't disappointed, well I wasn't. Bridget is dating again, only this time she is in her fifty first year and the object of her affection is Roxster, thirty years old, fit, lean, young and utterly attractive. Whilst trying to keep her diary up to date, she is juggling a toyboy, two young children, trying to follow dating rules, not focus on the past, learn twitter & texting etiquette, keep her weight in check and get the kids to school in one piece. The introduction also gives the reader a headsup briefly to Mark Darcy. We then head back, to one year ago and the build up to present day, Bridgets trials and tribulations, done in a humerous or frank entry to her diary.

The first few pages and chapters, it was like sliding into your old favourite slippers. Bridget is humerous, bumbling her way through one mishap after another. Never fitting into that perfect sized dress, focusing on her weght loss and often failing to maintain her weight. However, once I got into it I noticed, quickly, that Bridget had changed to quite a different person. She still has the humour and I don't mean her age rather, just about every thing else. Her circumstances have completely changed she is not focused on her job pursuits in the way she has done previously. Her home and financial situation again has completely changed and I, for one, found that something I could relate to previously.

I think bringing children into the story was a downside, Bridget is still scatty and trying to impress the male species fumbling through dating, with two children it just didn't seem right with the added background. Sorry to be vague but I hate spoiler reviews. Of course parents date but Bridget has quite a unique take and recent sadness that it just didn't fit. There seemed to be two themes for me, the original funny Bridget trying to do all the things, with the addition of mother duties now, and a serious theme that, whilst not the main focus, certainly brings the overall feeling down. Even Daniel Cleaver, who still is a naughty boy in a mans body is still in the story, however even he has some adult catastrophy issues that ruined so much. You can't do heavy themes like that in a comedy, well I don't think you can and I don't think it had its place in Bridget Jones.

I would love to reach out to Fielding and beg her to make this book a Dallas moment, you know when Bobby was magically in the shower as it was all a dream. Make book four about Bridget and Marks wedding and all the silliness that can and does go wrong. The inlaws, cousins from abroad, families meeting and clashing, the dress disasters, I imagine it to be something like bridesmaids but funnier and all about Bridget.

I think the one thing we all loved about Bridget was her likeability, how we could relate to her, imagine ourselves doing all the silliness she does. This book was just so far removed from our original Bridget and her ordinary circumstances it really pulled the book down for me. I thought I would hate the book, I didn't but I disliked it for a lot more reasons than just the change in Bridgets relationship status. 2/5 for me this time, would I read another Bridget Jones diary? If the third one was disgarded as a dream and we go back to Bridget in her 30s, where we left her, then yes I would. Otherwise I think no, it was just too sad in some parts although I did enjoy reading the diary entries and Bridget trying to grasp dating, twitter and other disasters.
on 24 October 2016
I pretty much hated this book until the last 50 pages. I found it repetitive and annoying. Low points were the whole chapters dedicated to Twitter conversations (yawn), the overuse of 'Gahhh' in every paragraph, and unbelievable scenarios. It seemed like the author was sponsored by some big name brands, which were included clumsily throughout the book. I loathed the world that Bridget now inhabits: posh mums with kids with absurd names, friends with benefits, all her previous close friends with globally successful careers & frightfully wealthy, and where plastic surgery is the norm. It feels like the author was cajoled into writing this nonsense, and in doing so totally missed what made Bridget the loveable heroine from the first two books. I'm so glad I got it when on offer, otherwise I'd have been petitioning for a refund.
on 26 August 2014
Bridget Jones isn't supposed to make you cry. I'm not sure whether it's the loss of such a well loved character in Mark Darcy or the fact that I was reading it a few months after the deaths of two of my own family members and the subject is still a bit raw but every time Bridget starts to remember Darcy or thinks about her kids growing up without a father there the tears go! I found myself crying on the bus, in Costa Coffee and on one rather embarrassing occasion while waiting in a queue to start a guided tour of the Galleries of Justice in Nottingham.

I wasn't sure about whether I would read this book knowing one of the main characters isn't going to be in it and I'm a little confused about her age as I was sure she was the same age as me before and now she's 10 years older but in the end I had the book read in two days (including the coach trip to Nottingham). At first I thought we had a change of writing style as Bridget talks of her new toyboy but then as she recalls how she met him and events leading up to current day we return to the Bridget we know and love - calorie counting, alcohol units and a new addiction to grated cheese. Bridget traverses life for the modern single women of a certain age - what to do about dating, how low in age should they go? How do you actually meet people in this social media obsessed world - I recognised some famous dating sites but is there really one for dance lovers??? Not to mention society of all ages obsession with Facebook and Twitter, how many friends and followers we have and what makes for acceptable online flirting.

Our Bridge still loves her self help books, using them to work out how to live a modern life and coming up with her dating rules. But at the heart of it all is her love for her children and her desperation to be seen as a good mother against the sea of middle class, strange baby naming contemporaries. Being a mother, despite her having a nanny, Bridget turns out to be the same as the rest of us just struggling through the day.

There's a happy ending, romantic stories always do and you can see the ending from the minute certain characters are introduced but the route we follow to get there is as enjoyable as the previous books in the trilogy. If you can get past the idea of our beloved Darcy not being around then this is definitely worth a read.
on 31 August 2015
As an avid Bridget Jones fan I must admit I found this new instalment disappointing. There was something ultimately not believable about it? Perhaps it is just that you cannot relate to some new found yummy Mummy Bridget living in upmarket London without the normal struggles that made Bridget Bridget. It was a little weak and predictable in plot, but not in a way that was particularly endearing? The whole Twitter plot and Bridget engaging with technology I felt was perhaps a little bit two thousand and late, it was badly written as if Fielding herself does not have an understanding of social media. I feel with this book I was promised the world and I ended up with an atlas, so much promise and hype but it did not live up to the legacy that is Bridget Jones. I will not pretend there were not parts of the book that made me laugh, because there were but ultimately it was lacking.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 January 2014
I really wasn't sure about this book, and to be honest, if it hadn't been £1.99 in the Kindle sale, I wouldn't have dreamed of buying it. I read all they reviews of it when they came out, and all the hype and just wasn't convinced about the book. I loved the first Bridget Jones book. I tolerated Edge of Reason because I wanted to find out what happened. I found the whole second volume rather laboured and hated the bit in the Thai jail and the bit where she interviews Colin Firth so much it made me sad.

I was pretty sure I was going to hate this third instalment.

I didn't.

It isn't perfect, by any means. The plot is rather weak, and a lot of the criticism that has been chucked at the book is perfectly valid. It is such a shame that Bridget hasn't changed very much at all, given everything that has happened to her. Then again, should she really change? After all, do any of us change that much? Surely, with a dead husband and two small children to contend with, some of us revert to type rather than turning into a saint?

I loved the sections of the book where Bridget reflects on her relationship with Mark. I found them beautifully written and really affecting. I loved the sections where she writes about her relationship with her children, and I totally empathise with some of her parental failings. I fail in those ways myself.

I found this an easy read and I found I had missed Bridget, and it was nice to see her again. It was never meant to be super literary fiction, and it still isn't, and that's ok with me.
on 21 May 2014
Having heard some not so flattering reviews when this first came out I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. After the success of the first 2 books (and films), and the long gap, I was sceptical.

****spoiler alert*****

I had created in my own mind, many years ago, a slightly idealistic and unrealistic future, where Bridget and Mark sail off into the sunset and live out the rest of their blissfully happy lives together. It's a slightly slow start with some surprising - and unpopular, judging by said reviews - turns to Bridget's life since Edge of Reason and I was slightly put off by this. But the writing is a welcome return to the original character and drew me in just like the first two books.

If you're not sure then give it a go, definitely worth it !
on 28 February 2018
I really enjoyed the return of Bridget Jones BUT I was so sad about the premise. I mean, Mark Darcy is dead!! It cast a real pall over the whole novel. Of course, there were amazing laugh out loud moments - nits, anyone? - but the novel is more poignant than funny. So just be careful what sort of mood you are in when you read this or you might get more tears than you bargained for.
on 29 December 2013
I read the first Book of Bridget when it first came out and before it was the book everyone was talking about. I loved it and can remember laughing out loud at points. And I laughed out loud at one or two points in this third instalment of the trials and tribulations of Bridget Jones too. But there really was nothing new here. I knew immediately that the nasty gym teacher would be "the one" in the end because that's how it started with Mark!! She thought he hated her too at first, but noooo, he actually LOVED her zaniness, her complete disorganisation, her ditziness, her excessive drinking and smoking (she's sporadically on Nicorette in this one) her faffing about....and so I knew that Wallaker would be her next saviour.
I agree with other reviewers, there was no need to kill off Darcy; an entertaining novel about Bridget adjusting to motherhood and becoming a screen writer would have been equally as entertaining. It seems that Fielding wanted to incorporate the new world of Social Networking and obsessive texting into Bridget's world and having her single again was the easiest way to do it. (Mark Darcy would have been VERY agitated if she'd been using her phone that much in his presence.)
I did laugh and I did cry and I did enjoy reading it....but I think Fielding could have done better!