Format: Audio CD|Change

on 8 December 2013
Here's another word of praise. I enjoy introspective, nocturnal mixes and this one does it all for me. The mood, the variety in weaving themes, while remaining silky smooth. It wins in knowing where to ease down and where to take a different turn, or where to provide space for softer tones. There are gentle, elegant threads, the mood is introspective, comforting and affectionate, touching, at times. There are no rough edges to bruise, although there are enough surprises to sustain intensity till the end. One to buy for the special person in your life.
on 27 November 2013
Bonobo, aka Simon Green, with his mix of electronic, downtempo and jazz roots seems like an excellent choice to curate the next instalment of this well-regarded series.

It starts with An Ending, A Beginning by Dustin O'Halloran, a beautiful progression of piano with strings in the background. Soon after we get to Bonobo's own contribution, a cover of Donovan's Get Thy Bearings with one of his long-time collaborators Szjerdene providing silky vocals to a multi-layered collection of electronic sounds and soft drums that leads to the soulful turn of Didn't I by Darondo.

Throw in some brassy tracks, Flipside by Hypnotic Brass Ensemble and The Traitor by Menahan Street Band and listeners are taken on a skilful exploration of linked genres.

The middle section slows a little to Places by Shlohmo which is detailed but chilled out, with influences of hip hop and soothing vocals while the synthesisers and distorted bass create a sense of huge space.

I enjoyed Wing by The Invisible with the mix of ambient, percussive sounds and the vibrating electric guitar. Nearer the end of the album we switch direction to more classical composition with Sailing Out To Sea by Matthew Halsall which features mournful strings and is dark and soothing.

A smile came to my face when One Thing by Peter and Kerry came up as it was a nice take on Amerie with guitar plucking, sliding notes and a calmer pace to match the emotion of their voices.

Overall this is a brilliantly put together compilation, showcasing some of the music that has informed Bonobo and gives a wide insight into his musical tastes. There are multiple genres at work, but the selection order is such that they blend together practically seamlessly. This is a must-have if you like Bonobo or have listened to Late Night Tales before.
on 10 September 2014
Very fond of this artist and he has not disappointed in a virtual-DJ role setting up this lovely sequence of music. Strongly recommended for his fans, jazz fans, soul fans, unusual electronica fans - lots to enjoy.
on 28 September 2014
Really deserves more than 5 stars. This is a great collection of tracks and has been my standout album of the summer (it's on as I type right now!) Great to hear the original Didn't I by Darondo (I've love the cover by Negghead and the original tops it). A calf born in Winter by Khruangbin is an absolute gem and I'm hoping they do a load more recordings soon and Peace piece by Bill Evans is a great ending to a great album. Shouldn't have expected anything less than a great selection of tracks by Simon Green
on 18 May 2015
I bought this about a year ago for my house mate's birthday; He loved it and in a way it was a gift to the both of us, since now we both can listen to the ambient and relaxing tunes, whenever we want, without ever annoying each other, since we both love this album so much. It is probably our most played LP. Whenever we have guests over we put this on and get complimented on the choice of music. There is something on this LP for almost everyman's taste; you really can't go wrong buying this.
Late Night Tales have been making different mix tapes in collaboration with many wonderful artists in the past couple of years and I would defenitely recommend anyone to check out their other works - though this is probably the best one.
on 4 February 2016
There are plenty of "chill-out" and "downtempo" compilations out there - to be perfectly honest, we're inundated with choice these days. The "Back to Mine" series started out with must-have mixes from Dave Seaman and Nick Warren, but was very much hit and miss after that. LateNightTales follows a similar pattern, but after very good releases by Cinematic Orchestra, Friendly Fires and Royksopp, I started to take notice.

Bonobo's mix features the 3rd part of the story Flat of Angles, narrated superbly by Benedict Cumberbatch - parts 1 & 2 are on the Friendly Fires and Royksopp mixes. But before you get to that, Bonobo treats us to a wonderful selection of jazzy, trip-hoppy, easy listening tracks that, while quite varied and eclectic, are sequenced in such a way that your mind allows you to roll from one genre to the next without too many bumps along the way. Witness how Hypnotic Brass Ensemble's 'Flipside' is accommodated! Highlights for me are Dorothy Ashby's 'Essence of Sapphire' and Bill Evans' stunning ambient/jazz/piano composition 'Peace Piece'. Great mix compilation overall.
on 26 December 2013
i was desperate to have this album when it came out and i can't express enough how great it is. each song glides onto the next so smoothly and i've discovered some songs that i didn't know before, which are now solid favourites of mine (such as 'Baltimore' by Nina Simone and 'A Calf Born in Winter' or 'The Traitor'). simon green is very knowledgeable and knows exactly what he's doing so i really relax into the music when i listen to this cd, knowing that something totally right will come up next and trusting his choice of music.
on 12 August 2015
A sublime mix of chilled tracks. With some of my favourite all time artists neatly mixed together. What a wonderful series of albums these LateNightTales are.
Also good for listening to in the day!
on 24 September 2014
Such a good album. I have all the LNT's and they really are the most played used and treasured of my entire music collection. As always, I thank LNT for the introduction to a new artists - in this case I'm grateful for finding the fantastic Hypnotic Brass Ensemble.
on 30 December 2013
I chose my rating because I am a fan of Bonobo. This is a very nice chill out CD and it is lovely to hear what they listen to and get their influences from.