Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 January 2014
Having read some of the other reviews, I was not sure what to expect in terms of quality. I have seen Rush many times and saw them three times on the Clockwork Angels Tour. I have now listened to the discs many times and think that they are a fairly honest and accurate record of what it's like being at a show and do a good job of recreating the live experience. In fact sounded really like the Glasgow show. Alex's guitar is high in the mix, as it was at the shows which for me is great. Drums on my system are balanced and musical and there is no problem hearing them. They are lower in the mix but again accurate for this tour. Am very pleased with the overall listening experience.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 November 2013
Wow this release is taking some brickbats here,,crap sound,poor production,terrible vocals,drums missing,the dvd reviews have some lauding the sound quality other less impressed,so where to start...

Yes the drums are low in the mix but he's still there and can be heard,yes it takes a little more effort on the part of the listener but you can still zone in on Pearts performance and enjoy,he's just not at the fore front as many would wish.The vocals are certainly better than the 'Time Machine ' release but that wouldnt have been hard!,so its a passable vocal performance no more,nothing to do with the production,Geddy's gettin' old. Packaing on the CD is pretty cheap,when was the last time you got a loose booklet?

So whats to like? well disc 1,for me, is covering many tracks from my least liked period,so it drags a bit doesnt all flow,for me, amazingly an underwhelming opening with(personal fav ) 'Subdivisions' before it kicks in with 'Big Money' & 'Force Ten',those 2 probably should have been the opener,the rest of thetracks dont really flow for me decent if perfunctory versions of the likes of 'Grand Designs/Territories etc,the disc closes on a bit of a high with 'Where's my Thing' and 'Far Cry'. probaly 3 stars for disc 1.

Disc 2, well this will be guided wether you liked the 'Clockwork Angels' release,i did,so i love disc 2 from start to finish,the ensemble enhances and isnt too intrusive,the band sound enthused,'alive' playing new material,a complete contrast,in my opinion to disc 1,,the Bass and guitar immense,some of Alex's solo's outstanding,this for me ,will be the go to disc from this release. 5 stars.

Disc 3 a pot pourri here,the end of the concert with a superb 'Dreamline' and enjoyable version of 'Red Sector A' whilst 'YYZ' takes on a new dimension with the ensemble. A thouroghly exuberant 'Spirit of the Radio' closes the show whilst the excellent encore brings a smile 'Tom Sawyer' & a ramped up version of 2112-overture/temples/finale,where Neil rampages around his kit in fine style. The disc then kinda peeter's out with bonus tracks tagged on,although its always a pleasure to hear 'Limelight' in any guise,here as a soundcheck. 4 stars.

So all in all not perfect by any means,taking an average per disc,i'll settle for 4 stars,its not going to beat the likes of 'Different Stages' but i'm happy with my purchase,i do think maybe 3 live albums in 5 years is pushing it and we're starting to tire of these releases,its not an event anymore,who knows,its upto you wether you purchase or not
on 8 January 2014
I had read some reviews before being purchased the CD as a Christmas present. Being a life long Rush fan I was interested to see that some of the tracks were from Grace under pressure and Power Windows, two of my favourite Rush albums. To be honest I did not fall frothing at the mouth when I first heard Clockwork Angels or its predecessor Snakes and Arrows, I just did not enjoy the production. I do feel in recent years Rush have lost a little of the clever hook lines and melodies that their songs were often punctuated with. However, I do feel that this live collection captures the true essence of Rush in concert. The audio whilst occasionally cluttered is no where near as bad as some reviews have suggested. Overall Geddy's voice stands up fine. As for the musicianship, Rush never fail to entertain. Excellant band, good release.
on 9 September 2014
I am stunned by the lack of sound quality of this album. I've played it on a number of rigs and the whole thing is a complete inaudible mess and, without a word of exaggeration, I thought that I had picked up a dodgily recorded bootleg from someone's tape recorder in the audience.

Rush are quite simply my favourite band but the last few albums have been dreadful in terms of sound engineering. So bad that the Vapor Trails was remastered. Long gone have the days when the albums have room to breathe now it seems that Rush are a victim of the Loudness Wars. I really find it incomprehensible that a band of this stature, of this quality permit such poor recordings go out in their name?

There's an excellent article on this with reference to Rush albums here: http://riprowan.com/over-the-limit/

Anyway, back to this. There are two problems with this album. The first is the musical quality; or rather Geddy Lee's vocals. Another concert should have been chosen for the album rather than this one as I am afraid to say that Lee sounds terrible on this recording. The second problem is the engineering as a whole. There isn't a word or phrase that I can use which describes the dreadful quality of this.

I've played this album a few times on different rigs, as I have said, and I won't be playing it again. If the record companies wish to cut down on bootleggers then perhaps they ought to consider producing better albums.

I am sorry. One star is all this deserves. This should never have seen the light of day.
on 28 April 2014
The best Rush live show ever.
How do they do it
First half just Rush, great choice of songs, each one played to perfection and they were really enjoying them selves
You watch some groups and they just go through the motions, no heart in what they are doing
Rush, you can tell they love being together and playing.
Second half was with the Strings, again anther fantastic performance
What a night
on 7 March 2014
I've been a big Rush fan for over 30 years and have seen them live on their last 6 tours. Geddy, Alex and Neil are heroes to me.

I went to the Clockwork Angels tour at the NEC in Birmingham last year and (apart from the usual first song or two whilst he got warmed-up) Geddy's voice was excellent throughout and it was a great show. Unfortunately, this recording from one of the US gigs has caught him on a really bad day from the sound of it.
The songs leading up to the Clockwork Angels set all seem to have him struggling. Now, given the tough set and length of tour (and his age) I can understand and sympathise with how difficult it is to perform at the top of your game every night, but what I can't understand is why that particular gig was chosen for the live album!

Geddy might have had a bad one, but the publishers should have a word with themselves about why they didn't pick a better performance to publish!

Still a good reminder of the show, but at times painful to listen to. Sorry Geddy!
on 22 November 2013
Seen the other reviews about sound quality. I agree that in parts it does sound poorly mixed when I listen to it on the kitchen radio. On a proper hi fi though it sounds fine. I prefer this setlist to the Snakes and Arrows one. GUP and PW are amongst my favourite of their albums - love The Body Electric. The string section adds another dimension to the Clockwork Angels material and the additional tracks with them on are a pure treat. Yes, you could be picky about Geddy's voice, but let's face it, he already had quite a distinctive voice which was a bit Marmite. If you don't like it then don't listen to it!

At that price, if you're even half a fan, well worth the money.
on 23 November 2013
I have a wide range of musical tastes from Brahms to Bonammasa and Mozart to Marillion so my review is not based as an obsessive Rush fan.I am not a technical expert or musician ,purely someone who likes great music.Having just listened to the whole set and then read all the reviews I cannot understand the problem.These guys are top musicians, have been performing for nearly 40 years,and can still produce 3 hour top class live sets.This triple album is no exception.Geddy has always had a distinctive vocal sound which is an acquired taste,for a bloke of his age his vocals here are in my opinion consistently good.As for the drum sound okay its not to the forefront but they can be heard and there are 3 drum solos on the album.I would recommend this album to anyone.Wander how many X factor winners will be going for 40 years.
on 7 February 2014
If you like Rush, this is a must have. The use of the live string ensemble is inspired and beautifully executed. Have not heard a better or in fact equally good live album from Rush. Each of them pushing 60yrs old and playing better than ever. Thoroughly recommended.
on 16 April 2016
1st half is the three guys doing what they do exceptionally well and just when you think it can't get any better, the second half introduces the string ensemble, in my opinion an inspired decision, setting the bar even higher. Simply awesome.