Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

With the festive season almost upon us we have grown accustomed to
a veritable tidal wave of releases cashing-in on our allegiances to
one artist or another. Some good; some turkeys and once in a while
one or two which turn out to be transcendent and true. Annie Lennox
did a terrific job in 2010 with 'A Christmas Cornucopia' and Ms Blige's
offering, in the most different of ways, is a very precious arrival too.

Is it me or does her voice just keep getting better? In 'A Mary Christmas'
(a must for the stockings of Friends Of Miss Gale if ever there was one!)
she takes on some old war horses and with the vocal magic which only she can
muster transforms them into rich, sumptuous and soulful interpretations.

From the heart-warming opening take of 'Little Drummer Boy', a gently
snappy rhythmic foundation supporting a superb orchestral accompaniment
and perfectly focused vocal performance; through the perky and (given our
familiarity with Julie Andrews' version) somewhat surreal Broadway-ish
arrangement of 'My Favorite Things' (Mary doing Maria!....that's something
I'd really want to see!!); 'When You Wish Upon A Star', a deliriously deft duet
with Barbara Streisand and another cracking double-act, Jessie J this time,
on 'Do You Hear What I Hear?', we are never less than certain that we are in
the presence of one of the very greatest singers on Planet Earth and beyond!

There are twelve tracks on this wonderful collection and not a bad egg in the box.
Ms Blige's sublime delivery of 'Petit Papa Noel' is alone worth the price of the album.

Essential.
on 27 November 2013
A must buy if you like a nice mix of traditional and contemporary Christmas songs, as a soundtrack to your Christmas preparations and celebrations.

Love all the tracks, however, Drummer Boy, The First Noel and Do You Hear What I Hear are my stand outs - but as with all Mary J Blige albums, all the tracks will just keep giving over time.

I usually ban Christmas songs until 1st of December, but could not resist playing this on it's arrival yesterday.

I hope the collaboration with Jesse J, their brilliant appearance on 'The X-Factor' and Mary's confident interview on the BBC's 'The One Show' will give Mary J Blige and the album, the UK exposure she deserves.

I am beginning to feel the real meaning of Christmas is being lost under all the early supermarket and department store advertising campaigns, but this album does more than it's fair share to rekindle the true spirit of Christmas.

Mary J Blige tip to Management: I'm looking forward to a future Deluxe edition with lyrics, videos, a message to the fans and perhaps a duet with Mariah and One Direction (for my teenage daughter).
on 1 December 2013
This dropped on my doormat yesterday and I haven't stopped listening to it !! Whether you are a MJB fan or not, I am sure this will become part of anyone's classic Christmas collection. The duet with Jessie J is brilliant, but for me the best track is 'Mary did you know ?' Listen to the words, it's absolutely lovely. I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone , and dare I say it, but this may be a contender for Mr Buble this year :)

If you do buy this, I hope you enjoy as much as I do.
I don't watch X-Factor etc and I'm not into the music scene. So, how did I hear of this album? From my eldest daughter who kept going on about how good it is.

So I visited Amazon and listened to the samples of the tracks and was so impressed I bought the album and I've not been disappointed. The duets are as good as the solo tracks (not always the case with these albums) and would recommend the collection to anyone
on 22 January 2016
Classy and really well sung. Great versions of some christmas favourites that we all know and love. She has such a great voice and this showcases it really effectively. A festive cd that you'll keep enjoying.
on 14 December 2013
This album is truly a Christmas Cracker!!! Perfect for the Festive Season, I love it!! I've played it three times already, since purchase a few days ago.

All the musical arrangements offer the perfect mix of traditional Christmas with a contemporary twist.

Then of course, there is the Voice of Mary J. Blige - smooth as silk. All the tracks are superbly sung, but my own personal favourite is "Petit Papa Noel".

I think this CD has to equally share the title of "My Favourite Christmas Album", alongside Charlotte Church - Dream a Dream
on 14 July 2015
Some nice tracks on, but nothing special and the over fussy pointless packaging with sticky gift labels in and ridiculous quotes about how you use wear your make up for New Year, didn't do anything for me.
on 11 January 2014
I WASN'T REALLY INTO MARY J BLIGE BEFORE BUT THIS CD IS AMAZING. IT HAS SOME NEW CHRISTMAS SONGS AND SOME QUITE TRADITIONAL, SOME NOT EVEN CHRISTMAS.

SUNG BEAUTIFULLY. THERE IS NOT ONE SONG ON THIS CD THAT I DONT LIKE. WELL WORTH IT. YOU'LL NEVER NEED ANOTHER CHRISTMAS CD ONCE YOU'VE HEARED THIS. 'MY FAVOURITE THINGS' FROM THE SOUND OF MUSIC IS TRANSFORMED INTO SOMETHING ELSE. . . . . ITS MAGICAL.
on 22 March 2015
She has a beautiful voice and the quality of the CD is excellent, and really gets you in the mood for Christmas. This reason I've dropped 1 star is because I find it a little annoying that she often sings off-beat. I'm sure there is a technical term for this way of singing but I don't know what it is! It's the same with many artists, where they have adopted a style where they don't sing a note in time with the music, but they start the line slightly after the music. I find this quite annoying, but not enough to spoil it too much, and of course this is just my personal opinion and many may not mind this style at all.

Great CD for Christmas overall.
on 14 December 2013
Completely unlike anything else Mary J Blige has ever done, this is a really touching Christmas cd that perhaps shows a softer side of the lady. I could perhaps have done without the foreign renditions... what is the point of listening to something in French when there are a great many British options to choose from? Worth buying though, if only for The Little Drummer Boy, which is a really lovely version.