Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 14 July 2015
Some nice tracks on, but nothing special and the over fussy pointless packaging with sticky gift labels in and ridiculous quotes about how you use wear your make up for New Year, didn't do anything for me.
With the festive season almost upon us we have grown accustomed to
a veritable tidal wave of releases cashing-in on our allegiances to
one artist or another. Some good; some turkeys and once in a while
one or two which turn out to be transcendent and true. Annie Lennox
did a terrific job in 2010 with 'A Christmas Cornucopia' and Ms Blige's
offering, in the most different of ways, is a very precious arrival too.

Is it me or does her voice just keep getting better? In 'A Mary Christmas'
(a must for the stockings of Friends Of Miss Gale if ever there was one!)
she takes on some old war horses and with the vocal magic which only she can
muster transforms them into rich, sumptuous and soulful interpretations.

From the heart-warming opening take of 'Little Drummer Boy', a gently
snappy rhythmic foundation supporting a superb orchestral accompaniment
and perfectly focused vocal performance; through the perky and (given our
familiarity with Julie Andrews' version) somewhat surreal Broadway-ish
arrangement of 'My Favorite Things' (Mary doing Maria!....that's something
I'd really want to see!!); 'When You Wish Upon A Star', a deliriously deft duet
with Barbara Streisand and another cracking double-act, Jessie J this time,
on 'Do You Hear What I Hear?', we are never less than certain that we are in
the presence of one of the very greatest singers on Planet Earth and beyond!

There are twelve tracks on this wonderful collection and not a bad egg in the box.
Ms Blige's sublime delivery of 'Petit Papa Noel' is alone worth the price of the album.

Essential.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2013
A must buy if you like a nice mix of traditional and contemporary Christmas songs, as a soundtrack to your Christmas preparations and celebrations.

Love all the tracks, however, Drummer Boy, The First Noel and Do You Hear What I Hear are my stand outs - but as with all Mary J Blige albums, all the tracks will just keep giving over time.

I usually ban Christmas songs until 1st of December, but could not resist playing this on it's arrival yesterday.

I hope the collaboration with Jesse J, their brilliant appearance on 'The X-Factor' and Mary's confident interview on the BBC's 'The One Show' will give Mary J Blige and the album, the UK exposure she deserves.

I am beginning to feel the real meaning of Christmas is being lost under all the early supermarket and department store advertising campaigns, but this album does more than it's fair share to rekindle the true spirit of Christmas.

Mary J Blige tip to Management: I'm looking forward to a future Deluxe edition with lyrics, videos, a message to the fans and perhaps a duet with Mariah and One Direction (for my teenage daughter).
on 1 December 2013
This dropped on my doormat yesterday and I haven't stopped listening to it !! Whether you are a MJB fan or not, I am sure this will become part of anyone's classic Christmas collection. The duet with Jessie J is brilliant, but for me the best track is 'Mary did you know ?' Listen to the words, it's absolutely lovely. I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone , and dare I say it, but this may be a contender for Mr Buble this year :)

If you do buy this, I hope you enjoy as much as I do.
on 12 January 2014
Love love love this cd. .. my most played cd over the festive season. .. good listen to different mixes of well known Christmas tunes. ... Will be brought out year after year. ...
on 8 December 2015
Being a Mary J. fan for sometime I heard about this album and thought 'Nah', Mary J. Blige doing a Christmas album. That's not gonna work.
But how wrong I was...
This album is absolutely incredible. Mary's voice sounds amazing and the orchestra just lifts her voice to make her sound better than ever. The whole album is just so atmospheric and really does get you in the mood for Christmas. Her crisp soul vocals just lifts each track combined with the backing orchestra, it really is a very strong soul album with a Christmas feel good factor. It definitely is in the same high standard league as Alexander O'Neal's Christmas album 'My Gift To You' and is one of those Christmas albums you will want to listen too again and again as well as year after year.
All and all, this is Mary J. Blige singing her heart out as she always does. An album well worth purchasing.
on 28 November 2013
If you love Mary, if you love Christmas then you will love this...very seasonal and stunning.Ideal for mum for Christmas!
on 10 December 2013
A truly beautiful album by the talented Ms Blige would highly recomend to anyone looking to purchase a xmas album
on 9 September 2016
Although factory sealed the case has 2 large cracks. I can't say if they were there before posting or not but I will now have to source a replacement case. Otherwise the album is great by one of my favourite singers.
on 22 March 2015
She has a beautiful voice and the quality of the CD is excellent, and really gets you in the mood for Christmas. This reason I've dropped 1 star is because I find it a little annoying that she often sings off-beat. I'm sure there is a technical term for this way of singing but I don't know what it is! It's the same with many artists, where they have adopted a style where they don't sing a note in time with the music, but they start the line slightly after the music. I find this quite annoying, but not enough to spoil it too much, and of course this is just my personal opinion and many may not mind this style at all.

Great CD for Christmas overall.