Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

2,068
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 25 January 2017
This book is different to the other two, although it keeps the traditional first person narrative of a YA novel. We have both Tris and Tobias’s point of view, alternating between the chapters. It can be a little disorientating if you put the book down between chapters, but the ending confirms the reason for the change in format. It is also interesting to see things from Tobias’s point of view and not have his emotions filtered through Tris. I also feel we get a more rounded view of Tris and her more reckless, Dauntless side.

There are shades of Huxley’s Island in this book with the factions as some kind of experiment in a better way of living, as well as Big Brother and 1984. We also learn more about why the faction system was established and there is an even greater sense of manipulation and control. For Tobias the polarisation is taken even further with both parents being on opposite sides with Tris following Marcus at one point.
The concept of a memory serum is fascinating and a more subtle form of control than the simulation in the previous books. Here memory can be wiped and a new version of history taught. Peter tries to take this a step further and banish his more aggressive and negative traits, but the suggestion is that they begin to creep back. This is the basis for the old argument of nature verses nurture in relation o the formation of personality.

Having both Tris and Tobias’s perspectives enables a deeper understanding of their relationship. It also highlights the difficulties and sources of conflict in most relationships – friends, family, forgiveness, jealousy and makes some very profound comments about the nature of forgiveness. “If we stay together, I’ll have to forgive you over and over again, and if you’re still in this, you’ll have to forgive me over and over again too,’ I say. ‘So forgiveness isn’t the point. What I really should have been tryi9ng to figure out is whether we were still good for each other.”

I thoroughly enjoyed the Divergence series and felt the ending was more satisfying and credible than the Hunger Games. I found the series more complex and relevant to modern day issues of relationship, personality, control and the role of the State. For this reason I would rate it above the Hunger Games and now look forward to seeing the film and reading Four!
on 3 June 2015
I found the constant shifting of the first-person narrative from Tris to Tobias (Four,) and back, chapter by chapter hard to keep up with.
I would get half way through paragraphs, only so realise that it was now Four, not Tris who was the narrator, or the other way round. They both sound/read the same. Other authors have done it, and pulled it off, but they made the narrative style of the two protagonists so different that it was easy to tell who's view point we were seeing the action from.

Tolkien managed multiple plot lines in the Lord of the Rings with little or no confusion.

Ian M Banks did it brilliantly in "Feersum Endginn" (Fearsome Engine) by using conventional spelling for one charaters narrative, and the other haf ov it foneticaly speld. U noo hoo waz torking, it was obviuz.

Some of my expectations were met - I had already realised that the city (Chicago) was some form of experiment part way through book 1 - the gates were locked to keep people in, not out. A bit of a let down.

TO be fair, Stephen King can not write the last few pages of most of his multi-million selling books either. 600 pages of excellence, followed by the ending "So I hit it on the head with a rock & killed IT."
on 13 March 2017
I wish I could take a memory serum to wipe the memory of this book or that it was possible to unread it...
Unfortunately I cant so if you have not read it please listen to me and stay away from it!
I loved the first book, had lots of potential, liked very much the second, but I think VR had run out of good ideas when she wrote the third.
Clearly I will be another reader complaining about the ending, not because the main character dies ( i am not agaist the main character dying "per se"), but because she really dies unnecessarily and if you really want to kill your main character (and one that all your readers love) do it well and for a very good reason, both things missing in VR finale.
I even took the trouble of searching her reasoning for ending the book like that but nothing she said made sense to me (especially if you think you are reading YA) and actually she sounded a bit mental to me. ( she even said in this interview that she thought the Harry Potter saga would have had a much more powerful ending if Harry died. Well if someone saying that is not mad I dont know what she is and I thank J.K. Rowling for not following VR reasonings). Why should a bad ending be more powerful than a good one?
I wont waste any more time, money and emotional involvement with this author.
P.s. FYi she even wrote a further epilogue to Allegiant (we can be mended) that I took the trouble of reading in the vain hope that she could do a miracle and resuscitate Tris (or maybe wrote a double ending for Allegiant !!!) but the further epilogue is even worse than the epilogue of Allegiant itself (and that is saying something). Not only it did not mend anything, it made me look at the previous two books (which I loved) in such a bad way that she ruined the memory of those to me as well!!!
Shame on you Veronica Roth , I feel you had such a powerful story in your hands...
on 27 April 2017
It's pretty slow compared to the 2 first one, even slightly boring; I am not convinced by the 2 persons narration since for a start they're both too similar and I didn't feel I could even distinguished them one for the other sometimes, I had to go back to the beginning of the chapter to remind myself of whose head I was supposed to be in. Tris' thoughts and conclusions are often way above what a 16 years old would think/conclude, the maturity level doesn't stack, and isn't really believable. Quite large plot holes in the story line, and timeline. Disappointing.
on 16 April 2017
I don't often write reviews on books...I have to feel very strongly about them one way or the other to consider sharing my experience. This book unfortunately has left me with a very unpleasant taste in my mouth!! Even more disappointing when I so thoroughly enjoyed the first 2 books, which were quite simply amazing!! This final book was the complete polar opposite of amazing. I won't bother repeating in detail what a lot of the other disheartened reviewers have written, as all of them repeat the same points on blurring character narration, boring plot lines full of holes, moving at snail speed, topped off with an ending that just leaves you feeling angry that you persevered all the way to the end & you weren't even compensated with a 'happily ever after' for Tris & Tobias. But I quite simply feel angry,robbed & seriously disappointed!! What a waste of time after the first 2 fantastic books!! The author should seriously consider removing this 3rd book from print & rewriting the entire thing again!!!
on 26 December 2014
well...can honestly say was really disappointed with Allegiant. I found myself wondering when I was going to reach the end, and that never happens with a good read! Usually I don't want a good series to end. In my opinion, the book dragged on for far to long, and without saying to much, the part at the end, which is supposed to have a dramatic effect on the readers, was really rushed. Could have been a whole lot better. However, it was interesting to hear from Tobias's perspective throughout. There seems to be a lot of writers that come up with these great ideas, but all end up with the same conclusions, experiments. Divergent series, the maze runners (JamesDashner), the hunt series (Andrew fuduka) Would be nice to hear something fresh.
on 23 April 2014
It is written differently to the other two and for some people can get a bit boring at parts of the book. I would recommend it to younger readers aged about 12_15 and anyone who likes a romantic yet adventurous story. I think some people may have not liked it because of the different way it was written but in no way do I think that it was written badly , just worse off than the other two books. Parts of the book were repetitive yet that was hardly noticeable. If you do not like sad endings I don't recommend it but if you like a story that takes you on an adventure through your emotions then this is the book for you!
on 30 January 2016
Wasn't too sure after reading other reviews but decided I needed to know the ending. Enjoyed to an extent but left some questions unanswered. On the whole. yes I did enjoy it.
on 24 April 2017
Having bought the previous 2 thought I would complete the set. I find the book a good read.
on 8 February 2014
I really think that this is a good ending to the book. Although the huge plot twist really needed this book to be awesome. I found the death of tris a pretty cheap ending though. Now I have a few questions for Veronica Roth.

The purity wars are only in the US so what happens to the rest of the world?

How do you know Marcus is divergent if Tobias isn't, but he can still resist simulations?

They say that PGs are totally perfect than why don't the GDs wonder why the government altered genes on the first place?

Altogether there are many questions in answered