Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

The Letter for the King
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.68

on 3 September 2014
This is a classic which has been neglected for too many years. It is a story which can be read and appreciated on many levels.

Simply it is the tale of how a novitiate knight, Tiuri, on his vigil before he is knighted is persuaded by a mysterious old servant to carry a vital message to the Black Knight with the White Shield. The Knight is murdered by the treacherous Red Riders. It falls to Tiuri to carry the message over the Great Mountains to the King. The story recounts the setbacks and triumphs he encounters on his quest.

The novel has accurately been described as a page turner, and richly deserves to become a classis again.

I am eagerly awaiting the sequel "The Secret of the Wild Wood."

Yes! it is a children's book; it is deceptively easy to read but it contains many themes such as courage, loyalty, companionship and initiative which can be appreciated by readers of all ages.
on 19 January 2014
This translation of a classic by Tonke Dragt has been so overdue! I've read the German version 30years ago and was keen to introduce it to my children. Depending on your child's maturity in reading I'd recommend it for ages 8plus at least.
Tiuri is a 'knight that is not a knight'- he is asked the night before his knighting ceremony to deliver a secret message to a faraway kingdom and so suddenly is thrown into a very much adult world with intrigue and scheming that has far reaching consequences, also for his own kingdom. He really gets to know the world outside his protected upbringing. An adventure story of growing up and facing one's own decisions, standing up for what is right and finding friendship/kinship on the way. Tiuri isn't a super-hero, he still is a 'boy' (hates that occasionally) and so the reader can identify with him.
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 April 2017
good story and makes a change
on 1 December 2015
I love it. Reading it before I give it away as a gift! Read to 7 to 10yr olds should keep them on the edge of their seats. Nicely written, age appropriate content.
on 23 October 2017
it was a really good book and i was really exited when i saw the second book the secrets of the wild wood i read it straight away
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 September 2015
I was really excited to read this book as my friend Zarina heard I had a copy and had said it was a Dutch classic and was extremely popular back in the Netherlands, so I just had to get on and read it.
This is a truly brilliant children's story that adults as well as children can read and enjoy. Written back in 1962, I can see why this is a timeless classic and not only that, but why it has been translated into so many languages.

The Letter for the King tells the story of Tiuri, a squire set to become a knight, something he has dreamed of for so long. But on the night before he is due to be knighted, he gets called away on a perilous mission that puts his life in danger and means that he cannot be knighted as he was set to be. What ensues is a medieval fantasy adventure that will sweep up adults and children alike.
I must also mention the map that you get at the beginning of this book. It is beautiful and as we journey with Tiuri on his adventure, you can't help but look back at the map to see how far he has travelled.

It has been a long time since I have read a book in a medieval setting and to have it with a fantasy, almost other worldly setting just made this such a joy to read. I will definitely be reading this to my niece as she gets older. It makes me kind of wish I could have enjoyed it as a child too as it just has this kind of magical feel to it and love the anticipation as to what would happen next.

So as I said, this is a timeless classic to be enjoyed by people of all ages and those with that childish love for all things medieval and particularly knights!
on 11 September 2015
I bought this book by mistake not realising it was a children's book. So eventually I read it anyway. So what did I think? Well quite frankly not a lot. Along side Tolkien and T H White to name but two it does not measure up. In fact G A Henty who is still available does mostly boys stories at least as well and with some such as in search of a secret, rather better. So a no from me.
on 28 August 2016
I do not understand the popularity of this book (sorry I just did not enjoy it) I found it slow to the point of tedium with broad characterization and heavy moral points. Ok it is a children's book , but so we're Harry potter and the Narnia books and I still enjoyed them as an adult.
on 6 June 2015
9 year old granddaughter not very enthusiastic. Reviews were much more encouraging than she was
on 15 February 2014
An enthralling read. I started it one morning and didn't put it down until the end. The story is exciting and engaging (with many plot twists and gripping moments), but easy enough to share with young ones.