on 24 October 2015
Watched some of these on TV whilst convalescing and as a "Get better and get back to work" pressie, my wife bought me the full series (1-4 in one set and 5 on its own) The series is a winner for me, sooooo interesting and if you purchase a copy of Bradshaws Guide (The original facsimile) you can follow along the journeys as well.
Love it and I've been promised the Continental series for Christmas.....can't wait.
VINE VOICEon 18 February 2015
Superb value for money this set. I'm struck, watching Series 1 again, what a natural Michael Portillo is to Television. In a cynical and trendy age the programmes capture the timeless air of Victorian travelogue juxtaposed with modern encyclodpedia. Portillo manages this hybrid mixing with great panache, Yes, his jackets are eye watering and attempts at country dancing lamentable but even that lends the series a certain charm which many travelogues of its kind, with slicker-younger journalist presenters, can't manage. Apart from anything else it's just extremely informative and beautifully shot.
on 26 January 2015
We probably saw most of these when they were first broadcast, but it is nice to be able to run through them again. Portillo is good on the screen (I always say he's a far better presenter than he ever was a politician). The only grating thing is the over-long intro to every episode.
on 17 June 2015
What a wonderful series. The DVDs are top quality. I purchased this for my husband, but I find myself getting a history lesson along with seeing the beautiful country that is England. Bradshaw's Guide, history, and beautiful scenery are all presented in a marvelous medium. Do yourself a favour and invite Michael Portillo into your home.
on 18 January 2015
really enjoying this,very nicely edited & what a beautiful country we live in,well worth the money.The only gripe I have is the dvd case is a work of a rubik cube you will need to do a bit of disk shuffling to get through the many dvds.still brilliant overall though..
on 1 February 2015
An absolutely wonderful journey of British Rail. The research into old and new industriali.goods rail growth was so

well researched. The scenery and interviews made this the most interesting and thought provoking programne for a really long tine.
on 19 August 2015
my husband is a railway enthusiast so he was really pleased with this box set He always watches Micheal Portillo on t v but it's nice to have series 1 to 4 to watch at any time
on 27 April 2015
Excellent series following journeys around the UK with plenty of history and places I now want to visit. Michael Portillo is first class when meeting people on his journey and shows a genuine interest and warmth in what they have to say. The best Box set I have ever purchased.
on 8 December 2014
Excellent and gives a wonderful idea of British history. Michael Portillo delivers his information with enthusiasm and aplomb giving added interest with his colourful jackets.
on 17 July 2015
I'd taped the programmes to watch with my dad when he was ill & he enjoyed them so much I had to buy him the DVDs as a birthday present.

These DVDs are both entertaining and educational, seriously, who would have thought you would ever use the phrase ..Michael Portillo is a joy to watch!