on 24 November 2013
My box set is missing one record featuring Marvin Gaye & The Spinners, but contains TWO copies of the record featuring David Ruffin & Barbara McNair. This seems to be an issue from the manufacturer and could be common across all 2000 box sets.
I contacted Universal by email, who replied and said contact the retailer! Amazon got in touch with the retailer who doesn't have any in stock - so getting a replacement Marvin Gaye record looks like it will be impossible unless Universal wake up to the fact they have made a mistake!
Perhaps Richard Searling can help if anyone has a contact?
Amazon got back to me today and are offering a cash credit as compensation, as I don't want to send the set back for a refund because the other six records play OK (even though I do have to use blu tack to stop the McNair record slipping as the centre hole is too big!).
Universal - very poor show for something you say you're "proud to release".
on 26 November 2013
Not only do many of these box sets have missing / incorrect records, if you are fortunate enough to receive the correct records, you then run the risk of them jumping...

Several purchasers have complained on-line about skipping tracks, so I checked mine, and quelle suprise, the Temptations and Four Tops 45s both jump.

A total disappointment.

I will be avoiding Universal product in future - the slip shod way in which they have responded to this problem has removed any confidence I had in them as a company.
on 25 November 2013
Well after the wait mine arrived, guess what no Marvin Gaye but 2 Barbara Mcnairs. This is an absolute disgrace of Universal. Fact is this is not a random case I know of many people this has happened to and I don't mean the reviews on here. Ive spoken to Universal today guess what they say they know nothing about a problem, well there's a surprise LOL.

Here's an update 4/12/13. I decided to purchase another box set from Amazon and this time they were all present including Marvin Gaye however The Temptations record jumps in more than one place. I have now had enough of this box set and have just given up on finding one in playable condition. What a total waste of my time. Universal you should be shot for what you have done to this box set it is a crying shame, next time Richard Searling should take his ideas elsewhere. My advice is to anyone thinking of purchasing this box set is DONT.
on 25 November 2013
same as others no marvin gaye / spinners , but two barbara mcnair / david ruffin ,universal don't care , just say return to amazon , i don't want to return just want the missing item .
on 25 November 2013
HAD THIS DELIVERD MONDAY (2X BARBARA MCNAIR'S) MISSING MARVIN GAYE DEBATEING WEATHER TO SEND IT BACK JUST WANT THE MISSING RECORD TO MAKE THE SET COMPLETE HOPE'FULLY AMAZON AND UNIVERSAL CAN WORK SOMETHING OUT.
on 6 December 2013
I was soooo looking forward to this release but to my mind it has been nothing but a debacle from start to finish.. I preorderd mine but when they arrived, as other customers have complained, I had 2 x Barbara McNair and 0 x Marvin Gaye. Got a replacement from Amazon, this time with the correct discs. Played through them....The Temps track jumps. No Worries thinks I, swap that disc with the set I hung onto just in case there was a problem. The Temps disc in that pack jumps as well. They are both going back......I can live without them !!

Universal should be ashamed of the quality control and of the quality of the pressing.

If, like many of the purchasers, you frequent the [...] forum you will see a thread on there with many many disgruntled customers. 396 contibutions last time I looked. I really wanted this box set, had looked forward to receiving it for weeks only to be disappointed twice. I know there are some purchasers who bought them immediately, such was the demand for this limited 2000 distribution, but then wrapped them up as Xmas presents. There will many disappointed "soulies" on the big day me thinks.
on 25 November 2013
Double records and records missing would be returning this but can't download and print return label am absolutely dissapointed with this
on 27 December 2013
After waiting several weeks to open this set on Xmas morning I was very disappointed by the quality of the vinyl discs supplied as they're new, not 40+ years old like the wonderful tunes within the grooves. Some discs are dished; some with very sharpe edges and one "The Temptations", which skips several times when played with a brand new Concorde Pro stylus.
Motown would never have allowed these discs out of the pressing plant.
Could the supplier please advise how I can obtain a replacement for the Temptations disc?
on 4 December 2013
Sad to hear of all the problems some buyers have encountered.

OK so I have quite a few of these records on bootleg pressings but buying this box set ensures I put something back into the business

Mine was all present and correct and all play fine.

Records are nicely labelled and sleeved well

Only criticism i have is the reproduction of the notes which should have been in booklet form and not a single sheet of paper with very tiny print.

Cant wait for Vol 2 although with all the problems some have encountered I doubt another will be made available even though i believe one is in the pipeline.
on 30 November 2013
Wow. I was originally going to leave my box set sealed. After reading several reviews about the missing Marvin Gaye/Spinners records, I checked my set and found all seven records in the box. I also played them and none slipped. I had a very high issue number (1586) so I'm thinking that may be the reason I got all 7 records is that someone caught the mistake and corrected it.

My only issue is that they put a sticker over the photo of Kim Weston/Four Tops/Isley Brothers in the bottom left corner. Real Smart.

I feel fortunate I got this item as advertised as I didn't want to go through the hassle of returning this item from the States (got a better price ordering from the U.K. than from the U.S.).

I hope the fellow purchasers can get their issues with this item resolved with Universal in a timely manner.

Good Luck!