on 3 June 2017
Vastly superior to the Touch Cover 2 but still light and portable. The keys have a nice feel to them and shortcut functions and adjustable backlight make this the ideal keyboard for SP2. However, mine has just died after only 2 years (after the warranty expired) so I'm pretty disappointed in the lifespan.
on 19 June 2017
Not as good as the type 3 but the keyboard is fair but the only quip is the mouse track of and buttons they are awful
on 3 November 2014
Great
on 9 July 2015
Good product
on 16 February 2014
If you can see past the price (I got it a lot cheaper than the current price on here) then this is a brilliant piece of kit.

I have mine connected to the Surface Pro 2 and it's like using a very small laptop. It is much easier then using the keyboard on the screen and you have the added benefit of a larger screen while you work (the on screen keyboard takes up approx. half of the screen). The keyboard also doubles as a cover for the tablet's screen.

The backlit keys are useful and make the keys much clearer.

The only thing is that the print screen button is missing, however a quick look online via Google gives you a list of shortcuts - I can live with that.

Would highly recommend this device and would also highly recommend shopping around for a decent price.
on 2 December 2015
The keyboard is great compared to the touch keyboard, I love it. It is UK layout and the backlight is perfect.
BUT if you have an RT tablet and the keyboard doesn't work (except for maybe the volume mute and the track-pad) then don't panic. Follow these steps:

1. Go to the Control Panel of your RT.
2. Find "Device Manager" under "Devices and Printers".
3. Click the little arrow before "Other" to show the unknown device.
4. There may be only one unknown so left click on it and click "Properties".
5. Click the Driver tab and click Update Driver.
6. Choose: Browse my computer for driver software.
7. Choose: Let me pick a list of device drivers on my computer.
8. Choose HID Keyboard
9. Click "Next".

It should be sorted now, restart your tablet just to be sure. If these instructions seem patronising I apologise, I had some difficulty following the instructions I found and then I couldn't find them again so I hope this helps another panicker. I believe the article I found was on ilovesurface.net but I can't be 100% as I can't find it again.
on 22 December 2013
The backlit keys can be set to different levels and I like that the light appears automatically when typing. This is much more comfortable for me than using the touch cover version which I found frustrating. I have no significant problems using this keyboard. It's a little smaller than usual but I am getting used to that already.
on 20 June 2015
The best version of the Surface Type Cover to date with fully backlit keys, capacitive proximity sensing keyboard, great travel on the typing surface and very easy to set up. The look and feel of this keyboard is as premium as the Surface Devices are known to be and it is easy to clean, both on the soft moleskin type outer side and the rubberised surface surrounding the keyboard. The keyboard has many surprising features not immediately apparent too, the touchpad area actually has fully functioning left/right clickable areas, and when you use two fingers together on the touch pad, it goes into scroll mode for web pages and other screen navigation. Flip the Type Cover below the screen and round the back and it auto disables the keys giving you a traditional tablet feel, not to mention a brilliant wide flat surface for the kickstand to utilise if you have your surface on your lap or knees watching a movie or playing games. How all this was packed into to a keyboard barely 5 millimetres thick I would love to know, but I'm sure you'll be amazed.
on 12 June 2014
The price may seem a bit steep for a keyboard. I was dubious; I was wrong.

This is an excellent addition to the Surface or Surface Pro. It clicks effortlessly and satisfyingly to my Pro 2 and is a pleasure to use.
I'm an engineering student; I use the surface for work. I know a far bit about electronics. I am convinced, though, that this keyboard works by magic. The backlit keys are beautiful and, when the room is dark, they light up when you approach the keyboard with your hands - as if by magic.I really cannot work out how this works! There's no obvious sensors or anything. The other mysterious and useful feature is that the keyboard switches off when folded past the 180 degree mark. You can lay it out flat relative to the surface, but when folding it past this angle for use with the kickstand or to fold behind the tablet completely, it is switched off to prevent accidental typing.

The keyboard is intuitive and I don't have any trouble touch typing with it after one day. Clearly you wouldn't want to write war and peace with it, but for use on desks or laps throughout the day it is perfect. It even has a delete key - something I wasn't expecting.

The default setup is for the function keys to actually function as keyboard brightness, play/pause etc but they can be toggled back to F1 - F12 using the shortcut Fn+Caps.

Left shift key is a little on the small side of those who are used to a full-sized keyboard but this is not a rarity with small form factor keyboards. There's no context menu or right windows logo key, but they're justified in their replacement with a longer space-bar. Up and down arrow-keys are half-size.

The touchpad is not unpleasant to use. The buttons are on the fiddly size but tap gestures are available and now the double-tap and drag function works (this didn't work in earlier firmware versions).

Finally, the thickness of the keyboard isn't much of a problem. Yes, the surface pro is a thick tablet.. but it's also the only one with an proper computer inside. Obviously the keyboard is completely rigid and a few mm thick - but probably thinner than you expect.

The keyboard certainly feels like a premium and well-thought-out product and will compliment your surface perfectly. Highly recommended. Can't really fault it for the small drawbacks are justified by the compactness of the keyboard.
on 20 September 2014
US keyboard so you can either change keyboard to US in system settings or leave it as UK and ignore what is written on the keys and just type.
Best to install both because there are one or two keys which could give problems. easy enough to swap from one to another.
Tempted to return it at first but decided to hang on to it in the end - price made up my mind for me! But seller should have highlighted it in the advert or at least placed an illustration big enough to see the keys
If it was UK version would be 5 stars and perfect.