Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 18 March 2017
I must be reading too many of these type of stories, I had the just of the story sussed by the second chapter. Tragic tale made all the more real by the knowledge of the facts of mental illness. A good read that I would recommend to anyone.
on 6 March 2017
Good read
on 21 March 2017
A gentle stroll crossing the paths in the life of a very successful married couple, with increasing twists and turns to the very end (tissues may be required).

Medium paced, enough to want to read daily with a cracking ending.
on 3 April 2014
I didn't like the ending of this book. It was very muddling, Jumpimping around in time. I really didn't enjoy it.
on 16 April 2014
Read in one sitting, cried like a baby at the end, fantastic book. Didn't see the end coming at all.
on 13 April 2014
Absolutely loved this, it was gripping and a real page turner with many twists and turns. Having read Finding Emma and Emma's Secret I was certainly looking forward to this one and it didn't let me down. Even though, as you read this book, you know something isn't quite right but you cannot put your finger on it then things fall in to place as you read more. Would highly recommend.

Well done Steena, here's to your next.
on 10 January 2016
My personal view is that I wish I had not started this book. One I start a book I have to finish it. I don't want to give anything about the story away so I will just say that this kind of story is not for me.
on 7 February 2015
Could not out this boomtown,ready it in two days!! Heart wrenching mind blowing fantastic,read! Very enjoyable interesting read,highly recommended book
on 9 December 2015
Readable, but rather put downable, The Memory Child is confusing at first, but quickly becomes rather repetitive. As in so many American novels the heroine is perfect in looks, achievements and even has a fantastic husband. There is a dark mystery which you guess at half way through the book, but I found myself not really caring!
on 13 April 2014
I had loved Steena Holmes previous 2 novels, Finding Emma and Emma’s Secret. They were full of great characters and I especially loved the relationship between Emmy and her grandfather Jack. I therefore dove at The Memory Child desperate for more of the same from Holmes.

The book opens with Diane and her newborn daughter Grace who, in the absence of her husband Brian, is living with her nanny and ex nurse Nina. We join them on Diane’s first day back at work in her high powered job only one month after the birth of her daughter. Immediately there are sinister undertones such as the mysterious pills Nina keeps dishing out to Diane, the disinterest she has for her charge and the noteable absence of any communication from Diane’s husband Brian. Underpinning all this foreboding is the story of Diane’s mother who whilst suffering from post partum psychosis took the life of her baby and herself and Diane’s fear the same thing might be happening to her.

This dark undertone continues throughout the whole book and builds us up to the big reveal near the last 10%. This would have been a great reveal if I hadn’t already figured out the big plot twist about 5 chapters earlier and so was just biding my time. I felt the element of surprise had been ruined and I also felt the ending was a little rushed from the point the plot was revealed.

I feel deeply with this book that what was set out to be a story of post partum psychosis actually missed a huge opportunity to tell that story. Instead, and this is difficult to detail without ruining the book for those who haven’t read, the events which happened to Diane become the explanation more than being a tale of post partum psychosis. I loved the way the book was written from the perspective of Diane in the present time and flashbacks from her husbands perspective throughout the pregnancy. however to achieve a book which really told the emotional side of post partum psychosis we needed chapters from the perspective of Charlie, Diane’s sister, as she observes Diane’s life or we needed to have flashbacks to Diane’s mother’s story. Instead we are focused on the big plot twist and lose lots of the real emotion along the way. It is an opportunity missed and I actually feel that had the author avoided the big dramatic plot twist and focused on the tale of a mother, husband and child an altogether stronger story may have emerged.

This is not to say I didn’t enjoy the story, I was pulled along and found it engaging and entertaining. I wouldn’t say it was badly written just perhaps trying to be all things to all people. I would absolutely read her next novel based upon her earlier work.