Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Shop now Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 15 January 2014
The story is a typical underdog story with a lowly crop duster entering a 'round the world' race against premium racers. It's all very similar to the cars films without such a variety or depth to the characters. They are well voiced with some good comic turns. There's no need for a spoiler alert as the plot and ending is very predictable.

It's not the most enjoyable animated film for an adult but then I don't expect to be the target audience.My 2 year old is Cars and Cars2 crazy. If I'm honest this was a purchase to provide my wife and I with a little variety from the Cars franchise.

In short, it's worth a viewing and a very good film for a little boy. It maintains enough interest to keep my boy amused for most of the film. (and gives me and Mum a little peace for a while).
on 10 June 2016
A good film - for the kids. Whilst I loved Cars, I was hoping for a similar run with this but it failed to live up to expectations. The voice acting was not as good and the animation was cheap for a Disney film and looked much more tacky than the animation of Pixar. The story line was predictable but did have some elements of charm.
on 8 November 2013
I have been to see this 3 times at the cinema with my 5 yr old she loves it so much. She even did a very exciting "show and tell" on it the parents of her classmates tell me as they persuaded their parents take them. Not as many adult jokes as in some Disney films but enough. Bulldog saying "I don't cry I'm British" had everyone in the cinema laughing. She is desperately awaiting DVD release.
on 20 November 2013
Yes this film is basically the same as cars but with planes... I don't think it would take a genius to work that out, but its a children's film and both of my sons aged 2 & 4 love it and will be receiving diecast planes for Christmas.
on 2 December 2014
My son loves this film.
When I first watched it, I thought it was an attempt to copy Disney's Cars, but I didn't think it was as good.
However my 2.5 year old son is mad about this film. He loves all the characters, the flying, and the songs.
After watching it with him a few times, I love it too!
My 6 year old daughter loves it too! 5 stars from us!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 July 2014
Planes didn't sound amazing when I first heard of it (everyone suggested it was merely a clone of "Cars") and they were pretty close to the mark. Problem was Cars wasn't bad, but it was far from the best Pixar had offered up animation wise (in fact most feel it's one of their weaker products esp with Toy Story standing out as one of their best)

Despite the fact Pixar is now owned by Disney, this production is made by "DisneyToon Studios" which is a different group of people.
Story wise it's very predictable (and honestly not as good as Cars) it just feels like a lower level re-run of that production. The animation is reasonably decent, though it doesn't have the polish and shine one would expect from a Pixar production. Honestly the humour and fun isn't really here either (it's not really funny, bar a few moments)

Cast wise, a bit of a mixed bag I'm not crazy about Dane Cook (Dusty Crophopper) though there are a few well known people such as Teri Hatcher (Dottie), Val Kilmer (Bravo) but Danny Mann (Sparky) is an experienced voice over actor and he's done voices for many animations. Not quite the top tier voice acting I'd have hoped for, and it's hard to attach to many of the characters in the film (not really much variation in appearance unlike Cars) The biggest issue is you've just seen it all before, and in stronger films so this will probably not go down well with adult film viewers (I got bored quite quickly)

It's an ok way to kill and hour and a half and kids aged 5-8 will probably like it. Older ones might find it a bit thin and nowhere near as funny as one would have hoped. My Son watched it and thought it was "ok" but no more than that. I'm going on his rating here hence the 3 stars. Worth a look if you are desperate for more animation films to add to your collection, but there are many more that should be far higher up your buy list.
on 17 September 2014
After seeing Cars, I wasn't sure who this film was going pan out. I know this film and also Cars had some bad reviews when released in cinema's. Now I liked Cars, and this film........ I was not disappointed. At some point I completely forgot they were planes, but characters. The story is a bit slow at first, but then it gets interesting. Some nail biting moments, and, at one point, I was rooting for the underdog, " that's Dusty Crophopper by the way." A good film for kids, and for people who are still young at heart.
on 21 November 2014
I would give this a 2.5 star if it would let me. Didnt hold my daughters attention or myself for that matter. We enjoyed watching cars together but this was pretty much the same story line but with planes, so we were basically watching a film we fwlt we had already seen.
on 22 April 2014
This animated film is really stunning,especially in the way it was researched in order to get the planes right in every way, but with a real sense of fun thrown in for good measure. The characters' voices real suit their characters and Disney has really captured the feeling of excitement with this film. I personally think that this film is suited to everyone including toddlers.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 February 2016

Planes from Pixar/Disney flew onto blu ray with MPEG-4 MVC 1080p 1.78:1 encode. This digital 3D picture is superb, with a naturally dimensional appearance that enhances the sense of depth and perspective. The dimensional quality plays well to define the various positions of the planes during the race. The occasional negative parallax out-of-screen instances enhance the thrills. The colours are bold and vibrant. Contrast is excellent, with bold blacks and delineated shadows. Resolution is excellent and fine detail is exhibited throughout. This is an engaging and fun 3D experience that will thrill the entire family. (5/5)

Planes from Pixar/Disney flew onto blu ray with MPEG-4 AVC 1080p 1.78:1 encode. The transfer is pristine, with striking details and crisp edges. Colours are bright and vibrant, bathed in convincing light and shadow. Planes, being a spinoff from the beloved Cars series, may not be the prettiest Pixar sequel or spin-off, but it holds its own beautifully. (4.5/5)

Planes has a DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio lossless track. Dialogue is crystal clear and perfectly prioritized. Bass is adequate with every engine chug and roar, propeller drone, and dive-bomb attack, making the most of the adventure's every racing sequence. Racers zoom seamlessly from one channel to the next, with the soundfield suitably enveloping. This is an adequate soundtrack, but not outstanding. (4.5/5)

Planes has an estimated budget of $50 million, but was a complete disappointment at the box office, grossing only around $90 million, which is far less than $549 million (Cars 2) and $454 million (Cars 1).

There is no 3D lenticular cover. The 3D BD-50 disc is stacked on top of the regular DVD disc. Common, Disney, a flipcase for each disc is not that much more expensive. There is absolutely nothing special in the packaging.

The world of Cars takes flight in Planes, the Disney animated comedy. Although it was a major flop at the box office, Planes does have top notched video and audio. You also get some decent voice-acting from all involved, with random performers popping in throughout the film, including John Cleese, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Cedric the Entertainer, and Val Kilmer. I enjoyed the movie, but somehow it lacks the emotional involvement that pulls our heart-string, like Despicable Me 1. This is a movie for the entire family. All the kids will love it. The 3D version is preferred.