on 28 December 2013
This is a very funny read. The adventures of a 79-year-old (and her ageing companions) who refuse to sit out the rest of their lives without ambition and excitement. They are determined to make the most of their otherwise dull and depressing time in a care home, and plot to rob a bank - the results are hilarious, occasionally touching, and scarily believable! But all in all, a very good and easy to read book that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I've read a few comedy novels that involve non conforming pensioners, and this is right up there with the best. Another I would also highly recommend is I'm Dreaming of a Wilde Summer (A laugh-out-loud romantic comedy) which had me stitches.

I will look out for other Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg books!
on 31 January 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I saw the blurb for this the idea appealed to me. Pensioners who rob banks looked to be a little edgy. In practice this tale is not edgy but is lightly affectionate mostly. Set mostly in Stockholm a group of pensioners decide that, by committing a robbery, they will be sent to prison which appears to offer a better life than their current residential home. I really did love the prologue however I found the story rather bland a lot of the time. Some parts were entertaining and it tackled some quite deep issues of how the elderly are treated and perceived by society as a whole. The characters weren't really strong enough for me although Martha - the ring leader - was great. Not a bad read and probably more 3.5 star all in all.
44 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2013
I downloaded this book because it was 99p on Kindle - and it is worth every penny! You get plenty of page for your money and plenty of laughs too!

I am a young male and despite the age difference I enjoyed reading 100 year old man. This book doesn't have such an epic or historical setting as 100 year old man but I liked the Stockholm setting. This book reminded me more of something like Dad's Army as the story revolves around 5 elderly friends who get up to all sorts of capers.The friendships in this book are really strong and it was nice to see older people standing up for themselves and the things they believe in. The ending was interesting and made me wonder if there was a sequel in store?

Overall I thorough recommend this book, its great value entertainment.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love Amazon and they are always the first place I look whenever I am planning a purchase but I suspect that they have dropped a clanger this time and sent me the wrong book. The book I ordered was described on their website as being incredibly quirky, humorous and warm-hearted. Unfortunately, the book they send me was not quirky but bizarre, lame rather than humorous and more empty headed than warm-hearted. I jest, but if ever a book proved the statement “there’s no accounting for taste” to be spot-on, it is this one. At the time of writing this review it has an average rating of over four stars, with many reviewers stating how enjoyable and funny it is but I just don’t see it like that myself. To be honest, The Little Old Lady That Broke all the Rules bored me to tears and I can’t think of anything about it that I liked.

The story is extremely tame, almost to the point of childishness. I realise that most comic novels have a certain degree of infeasibility but the plot of this book strains credibility WAY too far. It is possible that the author’s original Swedish version is a true comic classic and that the English translation as deprived it of its style and humour; if that is so I suggest that the publishers have it re-translated. Maybe that version will be better. The characters, written to be feisty but likeable pensioners, are more shove-able that lovable, more like cartoon characters than proper, fleshed out people. I didn't like any one of them and spent most of the book hoping that they would get arrested and that the subsequent trial would sentence them all to death. Lastly, this is supposed to be a funny book; you could have fooled me - I've had more fun getting a boil lanced.

You will probably have gathered by now that I didn't like this book. Sorry, but it just didn't float my boat.
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 November 2014
I found this book something of a problem. On the one hand it is quite a scathing indictment of the conditions in which elderly people appear to be expected to live in many countries, on the other hand, it does become quite tedious at times. Sadly I didn't find the promised humour, but I did admire the determination of the League of Pensioners to break out of their prison like old people's home and loved the idea of them living the high life in the best suite in a luxury hotel. That they went on to commit crime to fund a more lavish lifestyle and embrace freedom, was the premise of the book. If I was being pernickety I could pick all sorts of holes in the planning and execution of the crimes but a group of near-octogenarians surely can't be expected to think of everything can they? They were more than aware that they would be sent to prison, but as they subscribed to the commonly held theory that prisoners are better looked after than most other people in society, that was part of their plan. Sadly they discovered that prison wasn't quite the cushy life they had hoped for, but it certainly didn't stop them, it just made them take more care.

The idea behind this book is enticing but sadly it just didn't sparkle, but I am willing to believe that the humour was lost in the translation from the original Swedish.
on 2 May 2014
I bought this book because I thought it was going to be in the same vein as 'The Hundred Year Old Man.....', which I really enjoyed. However it was not in the least bit funny, or interesting. I ploughed through it in the hope it would improve, but it didn't. A waste of £2.99.
on 11 August 2014
Like so many reviewers, I downloaded this book in the misapprehension that it would be on a par with The 100-Year-Old Man etc., which I really enjoyed reading from start to finish.

What a mistake to make! I was only a few chapters in when I realised that neither the storyline, the characters nor the language in which it was written were getting any better. I agree that this book could have been written by a child. Totally unbelievable plot, ridiculous characters and that's ignoring the inconsistencies and the constant references to how Martha would like to take Brain's hand but stops herself... (like I said, could have been written by a child).

I really, really must remember to read reviews before I download another book!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 December 2013
Thank you to the publisher for the review copy.

79-year-old Martha Anderson dreams of escaping her care home and robbing a bank. She has no intention of spending the rest of her days in an armchair and is determined to fund her way to a much more exciting life-style. Along with her four oldest friends - otherwise known as the League of Pensioners - Martha decides to rebel against all of the rules imposed upon them.

I'm still giggling now. This novel is hilarious and heart warming and very addictive - the first thing I want to make clear is, when I'm 79 I hope that I'm out robbing banks. Ok, well perhaps I won't actually rob banks but I'm taking my walker to a nightclub I'm telling you!

Martha refuses to conform. She may be old but she's just not having it. She is the very definition of "Age is a state of mind" - her state of mind being mischievous child. Along with her cohorts, the league of pensioners, she sets out to break the mould and have a lot of fun along the way.

There were points in this story where I laughed until I cried, literally, but it also has some very poignant moments and the occasional tug on the heartstrings. Extremely easy and fun to read, this is one of my favourite books of the year for pure entertainment value.

A comedy romp in novel form you can't go wrong with this one. A purely feel good and uplifting tale of life in the fast lane...no matter what age you happen to be on paper.

Happy Reading Folks!
on 18 April 2014
Nothing like the 100 year old man, which is a fabulous read. I'm not sure if this one was written for, or by, an 8 year old. The language (possibly the translation) is so simplified it's actually painful to read. Story line had potential, but wasted, and not in the slightest bit funny. Better off reading the back of a cornflakes packet.
on 9 May 2014
This is a typical example of someone cashing in on someone else's success. I bought this book hoping it would be similar to the brilliant : the hundred year old who disappeared. Whilst the hundred year old was a fantastic, stimulating and funny read, the little old lady is the very opposite. I was looking for something light and feel good to read, what I was not expecting was a novel that could have been more elegantly written by my 10 year old daughters school essays. As expressed in other reviews, the characters are not made out, the story line is naff and the writing is so naïve that it should not even be called pathetic. I can only presume that all those 5 stars reviews are from the authors relatives! One review compares this book to :gangster granny. This is a poor comparison. Gangster Granny is a children's book by David Walliams. It is written with style and is very funny, entertaining and has a point, none which applies to this novel. Best tip of today : DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY WITH THIS BOOK, if you want to read a book with the same intellectual level opt for and Enild Blyiton book, at least it will be well written