on 7 August 2014
I had previously read books by this author.I wasn't surprised to find it was a great read, full of characters and settings.
Wonderfully written and so funny. Loved it so much, great story line and I would recommend this book to all readers.
on 1 May 2017
Purchased for others.
on 14 February 2014
Very funny whilst being thought provoking - in some respects to true to be funny especially the 'care home' regime. Just because one is "old" is not a reason to dismiss or assume lack of mental capabilities!
on 12 May 2014
The book was easy reading, but there was not a lot of content. The ending was the best part I think.
on 28 December 2013
This is a very funny read. The adventures of a 79-year-old (and her ageing companions) who refuse to sit out the rest of their lives without ambition and excitement. They are determined to make the most of their otherwise dull and depressing time in a care home, and plot to rob a bank - the results are hilarious, occasionally touching, and scarily believable! But all in all, a very good and easy to read book that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I've read a few comedy novels that involve non conforming pensioners, and this is right up there with the best. Another I would also highly recommend is I'm Dreaming of a Wilde Summer (A laugh-out-loud romantic comedy) which had me stitches.

I will look out for other Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg books!
on 5 November 2014
Well it all went downhill from page one for me! It is terribly written, though as others have said, is this because the original book was terrible or is the translation just poor? It reads like it has been written for children or by children. Very basic and easy to read - but dull. I've enjoyed children's books much more in all honestly. The idea of the plot amused me but the writing was so dire that I grew bored of it.
on 1 August 2014
I'm torn about the rating because I did enjoy it, but when compared to the 100 year old man or Harold Fry it just falls short in the relatively new genre of Golden Oldie Adventure Time. It's very predictable, there's no real drama or suspense and some parts of this comedy of errors are so far fetched I actually cringed and nearly didn't go on. But I still enjoyed it, which is a credit to the writing and accessible characters despite the rather lacklustre plot.
on 24 March 2014
My mother has Dementia and lives in a care home which, luckily for her, is everything that the League of Pensioners wanted. I wish she had enough brain power left to plan something as exciting, though maybe not illegal, as the LoP did! I wish she had a Rake too and now she's in the mixed care home, you never know :)
on 21 January 2014
A great story with laughs round every corner at the situations the characters find themselves in. The plot is improbable but not unlikely and anyone who thinks they are past it in their elderly years should read it
on 8 January 2014
this book took me less than three days to read. I found the read enjoyable, witty and ok. well thought out plots in the story although at times I was bored.