I Just Love Folk
Format: Audio CD|Change

This album contains many many well known artists performing songs from down the ages,
with numbers from the likes of 'Bob Dylan' 'Pete Seeger' 'Peter Paul and Mary' 'Judy Collins'
'Joan Baez' and 'Odetta' among the contributors.
Some of the well known songs to enjoy on-board include .....on disc one.....'Bob Dylan' --House
of the Rising Sun' (A 60'S HIT FOR 'THE ANIMALS) ......'Pete Seeger' --'Molly Malone' ......
'Judy Collins' --'Golden Apples of the Sun' ......'Peter, Paul and Mary' --'500 Miles' (A HIT FOR
THE FOLK-GROUP)......'Dave Fredrickson' --'Farewell Fair Ladies'.......and.......'Odetta with
Harry Belafonte' --'There's a Hole in My Bucket' (an old-favourite)......just some of the diverse
material to enjoy on disc one......on disc two......'Peter Paul and Mary' --'Puff the Magic Dragon'
(ANOTHER HIT FOR THE TRIO)......'Bob Gibson' --'Yes I See'.......'Doc Wilson' --'Peg and Awl'
'Joan Baaz' --'Banks of The Ohio' ......'Pete Seeger' --'On Top of Old Smokey' (an old favourite)
'Odetta' --'Jack of Diamonds' .....and......'Joan Baaz' --'All ,My Trials' .......just a few of the numbers
included on disc two......on disc three......'Peter, Paul and Mary' --'If I Had a Hammer' (AlSO A HIT
FOR 'TRINI LOPEZ').......'The New Cristy Minstrels' --'Big Rock Candy Mountain' .....'Pete Seeger'
--'We Will Overcome' ......'Tom Paley' --'Shady Grove' ......'Odetta' --'All the Pretty Little Horse' ...
'Paul Clayton' --'Spanish Ladies'......'Bob Dylan' --'Song To Woody' .....again some of the songs
many will remember from disc three.
I have picked around six or seven numbers from each of the three discs on this 'Folk' compilation,
glancing at the discs I reckon most of 'Peter, Paul and Mary's' hits of the sixties are included on
the play-list, this is a collection of songs some familiar some perhaps not from many well-known
names of the music-scene down the years.
It's a collection of material that perhaps I don't listen to that often, however there are many many
tracks that really will trigger many a memory bank from down the ages.
on 27 May 2015
I thought I quite liked Folk so I took a chance on this large size compilation, and it turns out that I really do love Folk!

What an amazing price for a huge number of songs. If I'm honest, I chose it as much as anything for 'Puff the Magic Dragon', which I remembered from childhood. And it's still a great song. But there's plenty more here too. I wasn't that familiar with Bob Dylan, but I really enjoyed his songs - which could hardly be further removed from 'Puff'. Then there are the songs I'd heard of like 'turn, turn, turn' and 'house of the rising sun' - but in versions I wasn't used too - and they're great too.

All in all, this is a great album for anyone who leans towards folk but doesn't really know where to begin.
VINE VOICEon 11 May 2014
There is a stunning collection of classic folk tracks, such as Puff the Magic Dragon (Peter, Paul & Mary), There's a Hole in my Bucket, Copper Kettle (Pale Moonlight), On Top of Old Smokey, Banks of the Ohio, etc, etc.

Fabulous range of songs from Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger (including We Shall Overcom, Turn Turn Turn, This Land is Our Land); Peter Paul& Mary (Puff, Where Have All The Flowers Gone?). One recalls how lovely a voice Mary had.

Great to listen to outside in the sunshine. Conjures up images of the American folkie South, hillbillies and the civil rights movement, when Dylan was raw, fresh and immediate. Great VFM, one good track after another.
on 6 June 2014
Some of these songs I hadn't hear for years; great to hear them again. Very interesting to hear the old versions of songs done by newer artists; e.g."A sailor's life" (disc 3) by Judy Collins I'd only ever hear the Fairport Convention extended folk-rock version on the Unhalfbricking Lp, equally "Gallows Pole" I'd only hear Page and Plant's version (Led Zepplin), "Going down the road feeling bad" only heard Grateful Dead's version; interesting version of "the trees they do grow high" by Joan Baez, as opposed to Pentangle, and many more. Worth buying this collection if you like folk or even just love folk ha - ha!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 September 2015
If you love folk, then this is the album for you. LOADS of music. A lot I've never heard before, but am having fun discovering.
on 9 May 2016
Nothing revelatory here - but a good mix of early '60's folk on 3 CDs running for just over 3.5 hours.VG value at this price.
on 2 October 2017
Not very good
on 24 February 2014
Casual purchase when looking at typical folk albums. Great value for 75 tracks. Lots of great well-known tracks and one or two questionable but more than worth the money.
on 4 February 2017
Really enjoyable mixture of folk music from well known artists that was good value.
on 25 September 2014
You some good stuff and a lot of average stuff. The low point of the album is puff the magic dragon. A track that should have been strangled at birth.