on 3 January 2018
Overall I really liked this book. Its as though Jennifer Saunders is actually in your front room telling you the story, and I read almost all of it in her voice in my head. (Who needs audiobooks!) I also almost imagine Eddie from Ab fab as being quite a close portrayal of JS based on some of the stories she tells throughout the books, and I also felt it really easy to relate- I am also a massive procrastinator. To be fair, Jennifer openly states at the start of the book that there are a lot of vague memories, so you don't expect too much. In saying that, I felt like there were massive parts of her life that were just rushed over, and other parts where there was far too much detail (cue pages of faxes) so its a bit mixed in terms of what you get out of it.

The book is funny, and it is lovely to hear her speak about her various strong relationships with coworkers throughout the years. She talks about French and Saunders from the beginnings, doing standup and landing their first TV gig. There is chat about comedy strip presents, and how thrilled they were when they got a parking space at the BBC. I would say that story in particular shows how down to earth JS is, but there are lots of wonderful stories that really just speak masses about her character. She goes on to talk about having to fill the French and Saunders slot and how Ab Fab was cleverly conjured up- an interesting read if you are a fan.

I would recommend this book for fans, but be aware there are a few pages that you may gloss over (the faxes) depending on how much of a reader you are and how good your attention span is. Im glad to have read Dawn French's autobiographies as it did help me to fill in some of the blanks and the big jumps in time. It would be good for there to have been more information at some points though. Other than that, it was a nice, easy read.
on 29 December 2016
It was bonkers and is bonkers. Jennifer Saunder's story is a story not just about her and Dawn French. There is many stories which will make you laugh and sigh in equal measures. Her interactions with Goldie Hawn are really funny. I would say this is one of the funniest autobiograhies I have read. It has a tinge of sadness when she talks about her battle. Her love for Ade and family comes out of every page
on 12 September 2017
An amusing account of Jennifer Saunders' life and rise to fame. I was surprised to learn that we both had the same headmistress, albeit at different schools. There are lots of fascinating showbiz anecdotes and a relatively lighthearted description of her brush with cancer.
on 15 December 2017
Interesting but not the "belly laugh" that some reviews suggest. I am a big fan of Ms Saunders so I have enjoyed the read. I would recommend this book but don't expect to laugh until it hurts.
on 20 July 2014
I liked this book. It is funny as you would expect from a comedian. A lovely back ground story of her life. The highs and lows from her personal and professional life. A good read. Though, I thought that Dawn French's book had just that little bit more humour. You could see where the two autobiographies intertwined too.

If you like French & Saunders, you will like this book.

(I read this book, just as the untimely death of Rik Mayall was revealed. So it felt just that little bit more special to read the memories from the comic strip and how the girls first started out.)
on 17 December 2016
A really fun read, witty and engaging. Two things let it down a little - the text needs to be justified as it looks awful on the page, which is surprising for a major publisher. And the fax conversations included in the book just slowed it down for me and were unnecessary and not terribly funny.
on 8 May 2017
Jennifer comes over as the friend you would love to have. She is down to earth but on a different planet equally.
on 18 March 2015
I read this book in one day. I love Jennifer Saunders. The book is very funny and brilliantly written. I roared with laughter at her dad's running commentary on the vicar at her wedding. As someone who leaves everything to the last minute, I actually was stressed for her as I was reading the Goldie Hawn fiasco. Thank you Miss Saunders for all the laughs you have given me over the years. My teenage daughter is starting drama college and wants to do comedy. Thanks to French and Saunders.
on 5 July 2014
Jennifer Saunders is a charming woman, I love to hear her interviewed and her voice is clear in this book. I read it on holiday, perfect. You don't learn very much in depth about her life but we get a sneaky look at it. She at no times dishes any dirt which I'm sure she could and I liked that. She talks about her professional life, and she seems to know an awful lot of people, her professional life and her friendships. An easy and entertaining read.
on 11 January 2014
Whatever else this biog highlights that Jennifer Saunders is a down to earth unpretentious woman. It's impossible not to like her. It felt honest and genuine. I didn't laugh out loud but still enjoyed her stories. Her knack of wandering down alleyways to include background is a delight. I'm definitely with her on the yoghurt rant lol.